Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 1, 2012   #46
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

No, thank YOU, Mark - great analysis! so I found it very interesting that the "classic" or typical Bird pepper fared quite poorly in terms of flavor....maybe more mystique about it than anything else. In any event, I have quite a selection of Bird types for my seedling customers, if I choose to go there!

The plants are quite attractive - some are very, very tall (even in very small grow bags, over 3 feet). I would choose Pequin Chiapas, the longer, fuzzy branched Chiltepin, Black Birdseye and Birdseye as the ones that had best yields and nicest appearance.
Old November 2, 2012   #47
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Pequin Chiapas was one I got from Chris Phillips, who's a long time pepper enthusiast who has introduced a lot of varieties over the years. He sent them with some super hot seeds saying they were not what everyone was interested in these days, but they were one of his favorite of the small bird types. Having compared all these side by side I concur that they are at the top of the list.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #48
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Graig....in response to the above 'typical Bird pepper fared quite poorly in terms of flavor....maybe more mystique about it than anything else.'
A pepper similar to the bird pepper with excellent flavor is the Chile de Arbol. It must be a relative of the Bird Pepper as it has fuzzy stems and small 1" black peppers turning red at maturity. It will grow 7' tall but I managed mine at 2-3' by pruning. It is remarkebly reproductive in that the ones I left out in pots over winter come up from seed in the pot as well as the root. I grew one through winter by trimming it to about 6", root pruning and repotting around September. I wish I had a picture but unfortunately don't. But if you would like some seed send me PM with address and I'll get you some. The heat last longer o9n the tongue than the bird peppers and the flavor is much better....Ken