Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 15, 2017   #106
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Darin, I was just outside inspecting my tomato plants and found...
A Doton's Lebanese baby heart! I must have missed it in the past; it's about an inch tall and over an inch wide. It's definitely a cute pointy heart.

FYI, my acceptance to Tomatoville took about a month. DH was once the moderator of a board, and he said he'd make applicants wait a month to ensure they weren't bots.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017   #107
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
If you look at Town Hall you'll see that Michka has not been approving any new registrations. I currently have 3 who have contacted me,one says he's waited a month,another said he tried to e-mail Town Hall,no can do.

Another one is a long time friend who was based in MA, same state as Mischka, I asked M to let him in, fabulous website called Grow Italian,but he retired to FL and I bumped into him at the old Garden Web, now Houzz,he was so surprised I found him,but then said he would go thru the normal registration process,and gave me his new user name. Nothing yet at all.

One of the persons above said he got a notice saying no new registrations would be allowed, time span not given, but I do think that was after Tville was hacked twice and shut down. I haven't even seen M online until yesterday,so I have to e-mail him myself since I said I would get back to each of the above when I hear back from M..

Just giving you heads up on possible problems with Samir register,or trying to do so.

Carolyn, so MM grown all over Lebanon,not just or at all in the hill towns.Makes a huge difference as you know.
Thank you for letting me know, and Nan in the following post, about potential difficulties getting in. I will let him know this- all I can do until then is copy and paste email correspondence from him here on this thread. I do hope he can get in, as I have the suspicion that some here may consider him to be an apparition, a figment of my imagination, or a small piece of anti-matter

Regarding MM, when I first described the story of Omar Saab bringing you those seeds from one of the hill towns, and I showed him a picture of the fruit from your book, he said "oh, that's Majdel Maouch", without hesitation. Majdel Maouch is an actual town outside Beirut, where that tomato originated from. He just told me that the tomato is most famous for the exceptional size and taste- as I mentioned, they grew a 2 kg MM a few years ago. He told me that MM is well-known throughout Lebanon.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #108
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Thank you for letting me know, and Nan in the following post, about potential difficulties getting in. I will let him know this- all I can do until then is copy and paste email correspondence from him here on this thread. I do hope he can get in, as I have the suspicion that some here may consider him to be an apparition, a figment of my imagination, or a small piece of anti-matter

Regarding MM, when I first described the story of Omar Saab bringing you those seeds from one of the hill towns, and I showed him a picture of the fruit from your book, he said "oh, that's Majdel Maouch", without hesitation. Majdel Maouch is an actual town outside Beirut, where that tomato originated from. He just told me that the tomato is most famous for the exceptional size and taste- as I mentioned, they grew a 2 kg MM a few years ago. He told me that MM is well-known throughout Lebanon.
Darin, you can't have two ways.

Supposedly Fact one. MM is well known throughout Lebanon.

Supposedly Fact Two. an actual town,not specified where MM came from?

I think you need to contrast that with what Omar said himself. He was an adjunct at the place where I was also teaching.He was notified that his father had just died and he was needed back in Lebanon to help settle his father's estate.His father was very rich and owned many hotels on the med.

Before he even left for Lebanon he knew of my interest in heirloom varieties since he saw me asking both students and faculty if they had any to share,and they did. From Opalka to Crnovic Yugoslavian and many more.

He said if he had time he would try to get seeds for what he called that big pink one grown in the hill towns.And who lived in the various hill towns?

Those who were rich and had built homes up there where it was cooler to escape the heat along the Med.And that had been going on for a very long time and those homes were passed down through the generations. Was it Omar's father or great granfather who first built the home that Omar lived in when he was a kid and thereafter?? I never asked him.

I have no idea what Samir's background is at all re hill towns,rich, etc. If he appears here I certainly will ask him myself.

Carolyn,who would love to know what Omar is doing now and where he is, if he ever married,does he have kids of his own? He taught human physiology, I guess that was his major from the University in Lebanon.
Old July 16, 2017   #109
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
A Doton's Lebanese baby heart! I must have missed it in the past; it's about an inch tall and over an inch wide. It's definitely a cute pointy heart.

FYI, my acceptance to Tomatoville took about a month. DH was once the moderator of a board, and he said he'd make applicants wait a month to ensure they weren't bots.

Nan
Interesting to me Nan and here's why.

You joined Tville in Dec of 2016 so have been here less than a year,no problem.

Then you say your DH was a mod and said he'd make applicants wait a month to be sure they weren't bots.

No mod here,global or otherwise can approve anyone who applies,only Mischka can. And that's the way it's been at other sites where I've participated at,only admin can do so.

Are there any tests given here when applying to be sure a person isn't a bot?I don't know since the first day that Tville opened I found myself as a Global Mod and that since M knew me already from other sites where we both participated.

But,not too long ago someone asked me to take a look at a site and in order to even view it I had to pass some tests. Reading some numbers and letters and what they spelled was one, another was looking at a sign and clicking on all the blocks in that sign that had streets named. Then I thought I was OK,but no, what will my user name be?

Not enough/too many letters/numbers,try again, and on and on it went.

I guess I was finally in,was notified,but never went back.

So, are there any tests to see if a person is a robot when applying for registered status here at Tville?I'd really like to know,and it does relate to now 4 folks, I posted this elsewhere who had varying stories about why they thought they hadn't yet been approved.

Thanks in advance,

Carolyn
Old July 16, 2017   #110
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

looking forward to hearing more about the comparison grow-out Darin.

If I were to give seeds of a known variety to someone, it doesn't become "Karen's excellent tomato" just because I don't know the actual name of it. However, it's happened a lot in the Tomato world.
Good news is Darin, in the case of Dotson's Lebanese heart, it is a new tomato that you discovered which means you can name it whatever you wish. Same goes for breeders or those who stabilize hybrids, they can name their tomatoes anything they want except of course to stay away from duplicating names that are already in use.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #111
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

KarenO- thanks! I look forward to the day when things that I say or quote on here are not labeled with the adverb "supposedly".....

Back on topic, here is a pile of DLH that I will likely save seeds from, as well as make some salsa or perhaps a nice Bloody Mary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH 7-16-17.JPG (134.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DLH 2 7-16-17.JPG (127.6 KB, 104 views)
Old July 16, 2017   #112
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
looking forward to hearing more about the comparison grow-out Darin.

If I were to give seeds of a known variety to someone, it doesn't become "Karen's excellent tomato" just because I don't know the actual name of it. However, it's happened a lot in the Tomato world.
Good news is Darin, in the case of Dotson's Lebanese heart, it is a new tomato that you discovered which means you can name it whatever you wish. Same goes for breeders or those who stabilize hybrids, they can name their tomatoes anything they want except of course to stay away from duplicating names that are already in use.
KarenO
No comment Karen,no comment since we've been through this naming issue more than enough IMO with three contentious threads and so much more. And I'm only referring to the Dotson one here since of course commercial breeders and even so called amateur ones can do whatever they want to do as well.

As well you and Marsha know with naming varieties you stabilize with your Karma project.

Carolyn
Old July 16, 2017   #113
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Interesting to me Nan and here's why.

You joined Tville in Dec of 2016 so have been here less than a year,no problem.

Then you say your DH was a mod and said he'd make applicants wait a month to be sure they weren't bots.

No mod here,global or otherwise can approve anyone who applies,only Mischka can. And that's the way it's been at other sites where I've participated at,only admin can do so.

Are there any tests given here when applying to be sure a person isn't a bot?I don't know since the first day that Tville opened I found myself as a Global Mod and that since M knew me already from other sites where we both participated.

But,not too long ago someone asked me to take a look at a site and in order to even view it I had to pass some tests. Reading some numbers and letters and what they spelled was one, another was looking at a sign and clicking on all the blocks in that sign that had streets named. Then I thought I was OK,but no, what will my user name be?

Not enough/too many letters/numbers,try again, and on and on it went.

I guess I was finally in,was notified,but never went back.

So, are there any tests to see if a person is a robot when applying for registered status here at Tville?I'd really like to know,and it does relate to now 4 folks, I posted this elsewhere who had varying stories about why they thought they hadn't yet been approved.

Thanks in advance,

Carolyn
Carolyn, my husband was, and is, in charge of admitting people to the Pittsburgh Bloggers' board, not Tomatoville. His title there is Moderator. He corresponds with applicants to see what their connection is to Pittsburgh, and to ensure they aren't bots. Drawing out the process for up to a month eliminates some of the impatient spammers. So weeding out not just bots, but also people who want to spam the site, takes time. I mentioned this to illustrate that there might be good reasons why someone's application might take a month.

I think when applying to TV I might have had to check a box saying "I am not a bot," but I don't remember.

I did have to prove I wasn't a bot in order to email Mischka. The question was "select all the pictures below that depict food."

The awkward part about waiting for approval at TV is that the instructions say someone would approve me within 48 hours. This is obviously not the case anymore; it ought to be changed. How long has it been since anyone was approved in 48 hours? It gives applicants wrong expectations. If it takes a month, why not just say so?

The instructions further say if no contact occurs after 48 hours, to email Mischka. I bet Mischka doesn't appreciate all the applicants hounding him by email.

JMO,

Nan

Last edited by Nan_PA_6b; July 16, 2017 at 01:21 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old July 16, 2017   #114
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(I look forward to the day when things that I say or quote on here are not labeled with the adverb "supposedly".....)

Fine with me Darin,why don't you suggest a similar word that wouldn't offend you.

Fact is there was absolutely no intent at all to offend you or anyone else.

If you look at some of my recent posts here in the past month or so,which clearly you haven't done,you'll see that I've used the word supposedly in many posts, just playing off the political connection that has been made and I'm sure you know what I mean, as in national politics.

Sheesh!

Carolyn
Old July 16, 2017   #115
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn, my husband was, and is, in charge of admitting people to the Pittsburgh Bloggers' board, not Tomatoville. His title there is Moderator. He corresponds with applicants to see what their connection is to Pittsburgh, and to ensure they aren't bots. Drawing out the process for up to a month eliminates some of the impatient spammers. So weeding out not just bots, but also people who want to spam the site, takes time. I mentioned this to illustrate that there might be good reasons why someone's application might take a month.

I think when applying to TV I might have had to check a box saying "I am not a bot," but I don't remember.

I did have to prove I wasn't a bot in order to email Mischka. The question was "select all the pictures below that depict food."

The awkward part about waiting for approval at TV is that the instructions say someone would approve me within 48 hours. This is obviously not the case anymore; it ought to be changed. How long has it been since anyone was approved in 48 hours? It gives applicants wrong expectations. If it takes a month, why not just say so?

The instructions further say if no contact occurs after 48 hours, to email Mischka. I bet Mischka doesn't appreciate all the applicants hounding him by email.

JMO,

Nan
Nan,you've made some very good points. The verbiage used when applying for registering I think was the origial verbiage that was used,and yes, it should be changed as you suggested.

As for hounding M by e-mail,his personal e-mail addy is private and has been for as long as I can remember. But I do need to em him, better than calling him,I have both his landline and cell number,and I'll ask him about that.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old July 16, 2017   #116
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Carolyn!

Nan
Old July 16, 2017   #117
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Moving along......

My wife getting creative with the tomato pile....A DLH Mr. TomatoHead

A basket of Rutgers ripens in the basket...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH Mr. Tomato Head 7-16-17.jpg (61.3 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Spartanburg123; July 16, 2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: incorrect wording
Old July 16, 2017   #118
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
My wife getting creative with the tomato pile....A DLH Mr. TomatoHead
Oh, that's adorable!
Old July 16, 2017   #119
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh, that's adorable!

Ha, ha, ha, ha!!!! Couldn't stop laughing!

And such a lovely pile of tomatoes!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #120
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Nan
Thanks Nan! Great to hear that you have heart shaped fruit. Thus far, I have had no reports of non-hearts from any of the seeds supplied by Dutch or from my original retains.

My friend Samir has attempted yet again to register with Tomatoville, and ran into the same bot issue. He has sent a message to the adminstrator, so we will see what happens. It will be great to hear something about Lebanese tomatoes in general.