Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 20, 2017   #121
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

It's interesting that the heart shape in DLH varies from very blunt, to a more pointed bottom. I see variability in Sgt. Pepper's as well, which sometimes show an actual nipple at the bottom of the fruit. I have never seen this feature on DLH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH 1 7-20-17.JPG (96.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DLH 2 7-20-17.JPG (92.0 KB, 116 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #122
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Those are beautiful fruit! It will be a few more weeks before I can expect to taste one from my garden.

It sure was a stroke of luck that the one seed from your Totally Tomatoes seed packet developed into a heart that you recognized as different from the others. If it had gone to another person of their thousands of customers, the tomatoes might simply have been eaten and enjoyed without worrying about shape. Or maybe it would still be in the remnant of their unused seed packet, unplanted and undiscovered! Great find, Darin !

ddsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #123
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

very nice. also like how you can peep out the window to check on things.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #124
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Dee- I hope it grows well for everyone. The taste is sweet, definitely not tart at all. It has an almost creamy texture, with no core, and very few seeds. A good slicer!
Old July 20, 2017   #125
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Please read just the first part on which languages are spoken and understood in Lebanon.

You said that Samir would come to tville to tell the TRUE story about what Omar said about the hill towns who said it was just called Big Pink.He didn't.

Please ask Samir to express Big Pink in French and also translate Majdel Maouch, , in both English and French. And also confirm that the Lebanese name for tomato is Bandura. Yes I have been spending time doing translation checks here and there.

Thanks in advance and please post his answers here in this thread.

Carolyn- I have been communicating with Samir via Facebook. Until he is allowed on the site, I have to quote directly from him. Regarding your questions from above, here are a few of his answers:

1. The correct Lebanese name for the tomato is banadoura.
2. The French translation of Big Pink is "Grande Rose"
3. The Lebanese translation of Big Pink is "Banadoura zahrieh", or "zahrieh kbeere".
4. Majdel Maouch, or Majd El Meouche, is the name of a town south of Beirut. I have attached a map below- Samir's home town is actually Karniss, just next to the black pin depicting Majdel Maouch.
5. According to Samir, in this area, there is only one tomato known to be very large and of the beefsteak type- it is typically referred to as "Mountains Tomato", or "Majdel Maouch", where it originated. He is not familiar with the term Big Pink.
6. He asked if you knew what area Omar Saab was from? It is possible that he is from the same area, and brought you seeds of MM. It is also possible that he is from another part of Lebanon, and had seeds from an altogether different variety.

At any rate, I find it highly fascinating to dig in and see where potential heritage facts can be discovered regarding Omar's Lebanese, and MM sounds like a nice tomato even if it is NOT one and the same.

I hope these facts help in some way!!

Darin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Majdel Maouch map.jpg (225.2 KB, 107 views)
Old July 20, 2017   #126
imp
Tomatovillian™

This is becoming quite interesting, trying to do a history search. Sort of a "who dunnit" with tomatoes!

I've just been reading along as I know zilch about the history, other than as discussed, but find it fascinating.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #127
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Please read just the first part on which languages are spoken and understood in Lebanon.

You said that Samir would come to tville to tell the TRUE story about what Omar said about the hill towns who said it was just called Big Pink.He didn't.

Please ask Samir to express Big Pink in French and also translate Majdel Maouch, , in both English and French. And also confirm that the Lebanese name for tomato is Bandura. Yes I have been spending time doing translation checks here and there.

Thanks in advance and please post his answers here in this thread.

Carolyn- I have been communicating with Samir via Facebook. Until he is allowed on the site, I have to quote directly from him. Regarding your questions from above, here are a few of his answers:

1. The correct Lebanese name for the tomato is banadoura.
2. The French translation of Big Pink is "Grande Rose"
3. The Lebanese translation of Big Pink is "Banadoura zahrieh", or "zahrieh kbeere".
4. Majdel Maouch, or Majd El Meouche, is the name of a town south of Beirut. I have attached a map below- Samir's home town is actually Karniss, just next to the black pin depicting Majdel Maouch.
5. According to Samir, in this area, there is only one tomato known to be very large and of the beefsteak type- it is typically referred to as "Mountains Tomato", or "Majdel Maouch", where it originated. He is not familiar with the term Big Pink.
6. He asked if you knew what area Omar Saab was from? It is possible that he is from the same area, and brought you seeds of MM. It is also possible that he is from another part of Lebanon, and had seeds from an altogether different variety.

At any rate, I find it highly fascinating to dig in and see where potential heritage facts can be discovered regarding Omar's Lebanese, and MM sounds like a nice tomato even if it is NOT one and the same.

I hope these facts help in some way!!

Darin
In all of my efforts re translations Banadura turned out to be the Lebanaese word for tomato,nothing more.

Remember the variety,in French, that I posted about that's called Libanese Montagnes and gave several links to show that.Originally noted by Reinhard Kraft in Germany.

But here's the good news.

Someone just contacted me and found that Omar Saab is here in the US teaching and teaching the same kinds of courses he taught when I first knew him and gave me Omar's e-mail address. I can't wait to contact him,but it will have to wait for now.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Omar%27s_Lebanese

Carolyn
Old July 20, 2017   #128
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

That's great news! With both native Lebanese folks on here we can find out where OL came from.

And yes, Libanese Montagnes looks like a dead-ringer for Omar's Lebanese. Did Reinhard obtain seeds separately from someone else, 10 years after you received them from Omar Saab?
Old July 21, 2017   #129
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's great news! With both native Lebanese folks on here we can find out where OL came from.

And yes, Libanese Montagnes looks like a dead-ringer for Omar's Lebanese. Did Reinhard obtain seeds separately from someone else, 10 years after you received them from Omar Saab?
I just lost a HUGE long post to you when I went to fetch a link and right now I'm not in the mood nor have the time to try and reconstruct it,but will eventually.

Carolyn
Old July 21, 2017   #130
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

It seems to me that what Omar Saab brought from Lebanon was just some unknown tomato seeds. So the "Omar's Lebanese " is just a description and not really a variety name.
: A person named Omar brought some unknown variety seeds from Lebanon.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #131
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
It seems to me that what Omar Saab brought from Lebanon was just some unknown tomato seeds. So the "Omar's Lebanese " is just a description and not really a variety name.
Perhaps Carolyn can get information from him regarding the source of the seeds, as he is currently a biology professor at Northern Virginia Community College. I Googled him after Carolyn mentioned having found him.
Old July 21, 2017   #132
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Wrong again, see the following

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Omar%27s_Lebanese

The seeds Omar brought me were not unknown to him at all and he initially called the the big pink ones, which is NOT a variety name, until we agreed to give it a variety name and named it together.

Omar,b/c he was the original seed source

Lebanese b/c that's where it came from/

Q.E.D.

Who wonders if this will ever end says the born again Celtic Priestess.

Carolyn
Old July 21, 2017   #133
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Perhaps Carolyn can get information from him regarding the source of the seeds, as he is currently a biology professor at Northern Virginia Community College. I Googled him after Carolyn mentioned having found him.
Correct, and I have already searched the info at the Community college and will be eming him shortly but so far it looks like a good match. I had also noted in the post I lost that his em address ended in a .edu, which confused me but I found that almost everyone on the faculty AND staff have edu addresses,so no,not a Ph.D, as is usually the case.

A lot of this I had posted in the post that I lost Darin,when I went to fetch a link. As I posted above.

Carolyn,enough already, time to consider seeing what Martha packed in the cooler for my supper tonight, I hope something good since I didn't like the meals on wheels that Ed delivered today/ The two ladies that help me out here at home on most days, Martha, who is a terrific cook and has a large supportive family and a swimming pool to cool off in when it's hot and humid,,and Freda, who does most of the outside work and we had another spat this AM when I asked her what I'd like her to do re what I asked her to do for my tomato plants out there.How I really hate being homebound and chained to this walker, can't even raise my tomato seedlings or anything else, but what is,is, so I have to deal with it as best I can. MY job seems to be making out their checks on Fridays, so Freda will be here alone on the weekend and who knows what will be for breakfast, lunch and dinner then.What is known is that I won't starve since I have a few things hidden..
Old July 22, 2017   #134
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

My wife Brenda getting ready to ferment seeds from my most vigorous DLH plant this year. The plant was topped at 12 feet, at one point carried over 40 tomatoes, and I now have harvested 32 of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH Saving Seeds 7-22-17.jpg (67.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DLH Seed Saving 1 7-22-17.JPG (124.1 KB, 70 views)
Old July 22, 2017   #135
imp
Tomatovillian™

Must be my eyes or the picture, but a couple appear to be slightly striped???
imp is offline   Reply With Quote