Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 13, 2014   #31
Freddy
Tomatovillian™

Default Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
F...I think you are definitely getting dialed in. As a side-note...the best feeding strategy for container plants is: feed fairly often (once a week?) at a half-dose or one-third rate. Better that way than slamming it too hard with fert.
That makes perfect sense, Ed. With a 30% chance of thundershowers predicted we lucked out with a mostly overcast and cool day. We did not need our shade cloth at all today and the plant looks good. More hot days are predicted but hopefully we can dodge a disaster.

Thanks for the feeding tip as well.

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #32
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

you are definitely paying attention...which is most the battle. In my neck of the woods we have very stable/mild weather. I have little excuse to fail! haha
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #33
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I like to fertilize either in the early morning or late afternoon if it's going to be very hot. I water the container first, wait about 5 minutes or so then add the diluted fertilizer. That way it's not getting zapped with fertilizer when it's dry plus the moist container mix will retain the fertilizer better and not get washed out until the next watering. At least that works for me!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #34
Freddy
Tomatovillian™

Default Feeding when it's hot...

This is my first serious attempt to get a lot of tomatoes out of a container so I've been feeling my way along with no small amount of help from the peeps here.

I last fed the plant on 5 July. According to the latest forecast tomorrow should top out at 93 before temps cool off after. It looks like the heat wave will not be as severe as first predicted so that is great news.

I'm thinking of feeding them a light dose Wed. morning and then follow with a weekly light dose as has been suggested.

Now supporting the plant is becoming more of a situation that will need to be resolved. I have it in a standard cone type cage but the top of the plant is now eye level. I'm handy with lashing poles together so I'm thinking about cobbling up something myself for cheap as usual.

I didn't expect to have this much fun stressing over a plant this summer. Fun is where a person finds it.

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I didn't expect to have this much fun stressing over a plant this summer. Fun is where a person finds it.
So true.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote