Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 4, 2018   #1621
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My daily workout has been breaking a hole in the ice on the pond for the cows to drink. It is thick enough for them to walk on, but the younger ones are scared of it because they keep slipping. The oldest cow was the first one to drink out of the hole in the ice. She doesn't slip on the ice either. I can tell she's done this before.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #1622
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

All of you neighbors up north of Texas. I have always wondered how you all get used to it being so cold up there. I have been very interested in the weather for all my life and not just what weather was effecting me.

I have lived all my life in or very close to the city I was born in. A Texas saying: "There are two seasons here - winter that last about 2 months - and the rest is summer." It isn't really like that, but Summer heat does start in mid May and can last into November on a pretty regular yearly basis.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #1623
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My daily workout has been breaking a hole in the ice on the pond for the cows to drink. It is thick enough for them to walk on, but the younger ones are scared of it because they keep slipping. The oldest cow was the first one to drink out of the hole in the ice. She doesn't slip on the ice either. I can tell she's done this before.
Cole, we were writing at the same time.

On a much smaller scale, we have a large metal bucket that we use for animal water. It's large enough to wash clothes in easily. It was frozen solid from three days of constant freezing temperatures down to around 10 degrees F at times.

I have written this here before, but in 1983, I was 18 and we had our coldest winter ever. It stayed below freezing for over 200 hours. I took an axe and cut blocks of ice on our stock pond. I built a wall out of them on the middle of the stock tank. I did that for the fun of it, and I wish had that energy again.

If I had cattle to water like you have - I wouldn't hesitate to do it now.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #1624
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I got here today and both the mail and my paper and my meals on wheels did as well.

But it's Fri thru Sunday that will be the coldest ever,so I have no idea what will happen.

I asked Ray to bring 4 cans of Diet Pepsi when he was here since I no longer can got to my own kitchen.When Martha was here this AM she made peanut butter and jam sandwiches for me,in a bag hanging here,they won't go bad either,

And then Freda said,you can also eat some of the junk food you have here,and she was serious, I was puzzled,but that's Freda,she is one who knows everything,I think you know the type.

Carolyn, where the snow continues to come down out there, supposed to get maybe 3-5 inches today and both Ray and David, who delivers the mail said the roads are wicked bad.
Old January 4, 2018   #1625
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, have you ever tried a protein bar? They look, and taste, like candy bars, but are actually quite nutritious. They have a very long shelf life, too. My grandmother's doctor recommended a high protein diet after her last surgery. I had to push her to try a protein bar - she is 84 and has never heard of such a thing - but now she loves them, and asks for more when she runs out. A box of them would be good to have around if you are ever worried about running low on food.

I hope you stay warm, take care.

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; January 4, 2018 at 03:01 PM.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #1626
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I feel your isolation, Carolyn. Its been very cold for two weeks straight and I've drastically cut down on my activity as well. I just don't feel the urge to go out when its frigid and gloomy as I usually do. The news is reporting a flu uptick and I didn't get my shot this year. There is the issue of isolated slick roads as well, but they are not bad like yours are.

I spent my morning alphabetizing some of my seeds. I fell quite guilty for not getting more done. Use this time for some plannings as I am doing. I'm wondering if edible and pollinator plants will be lost all over the country. We will all be scrambling for your help in no time.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #1627
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Carolyn, have you ever tried a protein bar? The look, and taste, like candy bars, but are actually quite nutritious. They have a very long shelf life, too. My grandmother's doctor recommended a high protein diet after her last surgery. I had to push her to try a protein bar - she is 84 and has never heard of such a thing - but now she loves them, and asks for more when she runs out. A box of them would be good to have around if you are ever worried about running low on food.

To add on that note, I see Ensure in a lot of resident rooms even though there are 3 home cooked meals served at the senior residence where I work casual hours. Too often people skip meals or prefer a can of soup in their room for what ever reason. They have a low sugar version of Ensure for diabetics.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #1628
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn, have you ever tried a protein bar? They look, and taste, like candy bars, but are actually quite nutritious. They have a very long shelf life, too. My grandmother's doctor recommended a high protein diet after her last surgery. I had to push her to try a protein bar - she is 84 and has never heard of such a thing - but now she loves them, and asks for more when she runs out. A box of them would be good to have around if you are ever worried about running low on food.

I have the equivalent of a protein bar,they are called whole wheat bars and have a center of jam and come in several different flavors. And I have plenty of them.

Both Martha and Freda said they would not be here Friday or Saturday due to weather, well Martha has the weekend off and is currently not well with bronchitis and is on an antibiotic. Probably Freda will be here and the yelling starts.

Carolyn
Old January 4, 2018   #1629
bower
Tomatovillian™

It sounds pretty awful, Carolyn. I hope you have some fruit or vegetables to snack on too! But if there's one thing worse than a cold day without a hot meal, it would be a hot meal served with a bad temper.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #1630
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I know you folks back East are having rough weather right now, but just be happy that you are not this poor fellow who lost his new iPhone during yesterday's earthquake out here in California....

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #1631
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yikes, Raybo! I thought you guys were still busy with the fires... earthquakes, already?
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...104-story.html

The whole of North America is under one siege or another.
Old January 5, 2018   #1632
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

It’s 6 degrees this AM and wind chill is -5. It will bust today’s record low by quite a bit. Snow yesterday was 7 inches at our house. Doesn’t sound like much but this part of the world is not used to cold or snow.
I grew up in Boulder,CO and have lived in some other places much colder and snowier even than Boulder such as northern IA and and Cheyenne.
I seem to be the only one around here who is enjoying the snow and cold. I do prefer not to be out on the road because the idiot drivers around here have absolutely no clue about driving on ice. On my way home Weds I saw at least 10accidents including a semi that I saw jackknife on the other side of the highway. Thankfully he didn’t hit anybody but from the looks of the DOT website they closed that part of the highway going both directions until yesterday AM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2018   #1633
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

up here people learn to drive according to conditions.
speed limit may be 55, but if conditions dictate you drive 30, thats what you do, if you want to live. student drivers have to experience winter driving before getting unleashed on the roads. there are still the knuckle heads who drive with a small patch of their windshield cleared, at speeds faster than they should be going, riding your bumper before passing only to be found later in a ditch as you pass them by. idiots.

below zero lows for a couple days here before temps start to climb into the 20s, woohoo!
still getting an inch or three of snow almost daily.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2018   #1634
bower
Tomatovillian™

Keith the amount of snow you get per winter is huge. We had one "worst ever" winter in my memory that fell into that range with 19 ft of snow and no thaws from November to June. Instead of shoveling I ended up tramping down a path with the snowshoes. After awhile I stopped bothering to make a path out to the road, I was busy tramping down a path to cut firewood in the woods.

In Labrador where they also get huge amounts of snow every winter and not usually thaws, they never bothered with shovels and roads. Once the snow gets down they switch to using snow machines instead. Although now that the trans-Labrador highway has been built, I guess someone is out plowing that.... Before snowmobiles it was snowshoes and sled dogs. Snow ice and automobiles... never a good combination. The biggest hazard is other drivers, always. People without snow tires... never driven on ice... or a godlike confidence in the safety of their monster SUV while tailgating a little car..
Old January 5, 2018   #1635
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Two feet of new snow here yesterday which I didn't even see until this AM looking out the window.

Nothing plowed out yet, not my driveway or the road off of which I live, haven't even heard any town plows either.

Freda was here briefly this AM with her truck and then left. The worst of the frigid weather comes this weekend, then a so called warming trend starting Monday. That means the highs for the days won't be subzero temps/

Carolyn