Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 5, 2018   #1636
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My brother forgot about the water faucet that is in his personal storage building out here. The 72+ hours of below freezing not only froze the pipe - when it unthawed the whole faucet broke off. That was Wednesday, and they just found it today Friday. That was a 3/4" pipe gushing water out for around 48 hours. There is a concrete brick ledge around the outside walls, so the water is 8" deep inside.

My brother hasn't seen it yet. I know there are a lot of books in there along with all sorts of odds and ends. He's going to be sick when he sees it. It will take a long time to clean that 10 x 20' building out.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2018   #1637
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Ouch. That is awful. I don't know what you pay for water, but the water bill alone for that would destroy me. My water is very expensive.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2018   #1638
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I would guess at an extra $100.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2018   #1639
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

If you can document that you had a leak the water people might adjust your bill. That happened to me a few months ago. I went to the water company and showed them my receipts and I got about half of the extra charge above my usual bill removed.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2018   #1640
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

about huge snowfalls,

the winter of 1978/79 was one for the record book.
snowfall for the season was 390.4 inches, over 32 feet of snow.
i didn't live here at the time so did not get to enjoy??? that experience.
people i know who lived here at the time said they could go sliding out their second story bedroom window.you could touch the telephone wire from the top of the snow banks.
an elderly farmer neighbor said a school bus got stuck coming up the hill, and became buried in snow up to the windows in short order. they got it out eventually.
if you do a search for keweenaw snowfall, you can see the big snowfall thermometer that is by the side of the road on U.S. 41 heading north.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2018   #1641
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Since the bombogenesis storm on thursday, we've had fierce winds here, gale strength blowing all night and kept waking me. Must have hit -9 at night, w/o the wind. Still howling.

Will be going to check on the second house later today, semi-vacant and no heat, main water valve is shut - but still worried that might freeze and flood the basement.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2018   #1642
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Since the bombogenesis storm on thursday, we've had fierce winds here, gale strength blowing all night and kept waking me. Must have hit -9 at night, w/o the wind. Still howling.

Will be going to check on the second house later today, semi-vacant and no heat, main water valve is shut - but still worried that might freeze and flood the basement.
I hope it's all ok there and you are keeping warm. Wow, what a mess this storm is.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2018   #1643
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Looks like things will be warming up around here and I can uncover the crepe myrtle tree. The next cold front to come in will be next week but won't go below freezing so the tree should be happy then. It was in the upper 50's yesterday and expect 60's today.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2018   #1644
bower
Tomatovillian™

Our weatherman made a chart to explain the differences and similarities between a hurricane and a bomb cyclone. The differences are, that a bomb cyclone has a front while a hurricane has no front, and a hurricane feeds off warm water, while a bomb cyclone is fed by a "temperature gradient" ie where warm and cold air meet.

Out here the snow and ice part of the storm changed to rain, and we had 9 C/ 48 F and showers yesterday after the storm had passed. The weatherman also made a map of where that pocket of warm air came from. It was not a straight track, but could be traced back to Virginia some days earlier, and picked up additional warmth as it passed over the Gulf Stream. I read elsewhere that the storm system began in the Gulf of Mexico, so that's where the warmth originated in the first place.

So much for having a hurricane season that ends..
Forecasters are saying that for North America the second half of January could be mild, so hang in there folks.. the polar vortex could be gone back where it belongs in another week.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2018   #1645
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Our weatherman made a chart to explain
I never listen to the weatherman ... you don't know how many times I have shoveled and plowed 8 inches of "partly cloudy" off my deck and driveway !!!
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #1646
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Today we will reach at least 20F.

So our streak of temperatures < 20F will end at 13 days.

That streak is good for 11th longest such stretch in the Madison WI climate record. This is the longest streak of my lifetime. The most recent stretch like this was 14 days in 1977.

We've also been < 15F for 12 consecutive days, good for 5th longest stretch in the Madison, WI climate record.

This winter has been very boring and cold. I'd much rather have 20F and a nice snow storm over this bitter cold boring weather.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; January 7, 2018 at 09:59 AM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #1647
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Same weather as you've had JM, here in central Illinois. Many sub-zero nights as low as -15. But with extreme cold we're blessed with clear skies and the sun really boosts inside temps. We turn the furnace on for an hour or so in the morning to take the chill out of the basement. Otherwise we keep chuckin wood in the burner upstairs. 70 degrees from wood heat is warmer than 75 provided by gas.

Freezing rain now soon to followed by a mix and then all snow. This is the first cloudy day in 2 weeks.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #1648
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Taking advantage of today's lovely weather and running my main oven through a much needed self cleaning cycle with all the doors and windows open.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #1649
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Today is the 91st day with zero precipitation in my town. It is dry dry dry. The low temp hasn't gone below 20F all season. There is an active beehive in a bush along where I walk my dog. Yesterday, Jan 6, I watched the bees buzzing around the bush while the temp was about 35F. I videoed it but it was hard to see the bees in the video. Looks like NM is headed back to drought conditions.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #1650
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont know if this oven cleaning was such a good idea or not.
I have been a prisoner of my own home waiting for it to finish.
Got 17 more minutes to go and will not leave the house with the oven on.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote