Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 10, 2016   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
As I recall from discussion in other threads, IS was originally called IZ. I think Carolyn was the one who explained the history.
So then, MAYBE, that is the reason for Tania blanking out the IZ page.

@ Alan,
You took very nice picture and I like what I see. I'll be growing IS this year. I am in Redmond WA area.
Gardeneer
No, the original was NOT called IZ and I explained all in several threads here AND elsewhere.

Burson Sr called it BOTH IS And IZ Donna told me and when I asked her which one I should call it I chose IS since at the time there were several other varieties that had zebra as part of the name and and I wanted to hopefully prevent confusion.

Which I see still is a problem for some and still listed as IZ by some.

And I also posted that I think Tania blanked out IZ at her page b'c she was present at idig at the time and saw the back and forth on IS and IZ and made her own decision to list IS based on all the arguments back and forth, which she is entitled to do.

Especially since Travis decided to call it IS and not IZ, for which I was eternally grateful, and speaking of eternity, I get closer and closer each year, now at age 76 and will be 77 in June.

Carolyn
Old February 11, 2016   #47
charley
Tomatovillian™

If iz is bigger than is then its a monster hear is a pic of it last year and they are almost as big as soo ,stump and g,a.the 3 around s.o.o.are all is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160211_060703-640x360.jpg (52.0 KB, 111 views)
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #48
charley
Tomatovillian™

another shot from the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160211_061425-640x360.jpg (56.5 KB, 109 views)
Old February 11, 2016   #49
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Charley, those are IS - RL surrounding a SOO right? They look good to me!
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #50
travis
Tomatovillian™

Charley, a few comments ...

First of all, to everyone, as Carolyn has pointed out, I have acquiesced to calling the variety Indian Stripe, regardless of the seed source, and in spite of the fact that I have and continue to see slight differences between the seed lot I bought from Victory, and the seed lot I obtained from Mr. Burson's freezer. I have done this out of respect for Carolyn.

That does not negate the 2 facts that 1) I continue to get larger and darker fruit from the Burson seed lot than from the Victory seed lot, and 2) that I have a written statement from Burson's son that he always heard his father refer to the tomato as Indian Zebra.

Now to Charley specifically: You are showing tomatoes grown from one seed source I suppose? And you are comparing those Indian Stripe tomatoes in size to other varieties rather than to "Indian Zebra" right?

I will say in reply that 1) the size of your Indian Stripe tomatoes depends upon your seed source and the selection process through which they may have gone, and the conditions under which you grew them in the particular year from which you show the fruit in the photo, and 2) unless you grow tomatoes from your Indian Stripe seed lot side by side with tomatoes from the Burson freezer seed lot, I don't see how you can make a true comparison in fruit size potential.

in closing, let me repeat that I refer to all the seed for the relevant tomato we are discussing and which I have as "indian Stripe" although I may inscribe certain envelopes with "Indian Stripe, Burson" or "Indian Stripe, Select" or "Indian Stripe, B" or "Indian Stripe, A" to differentiate between the various selected lines that I have maintained since 2006. I do not see how that can be objectionable or confusing. If it is confusing, simply ask for a clarification. It will be given in clear English.

Let me also say that when growing the various individual lines side by side, I have always gotten larger and darker tomatoes from the Burson freezer seeds than from those lines that come from the original Victory Seed Co purchase.

This is important to note since the original and ongoing description of Indian Stripe as found in Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook, and quoted widely from there into many, many references, is that Indian Stripe appears to be a variation of Cherokee Purple but with fruit that is lighter in color, smaller in size, and greater in number per cluster than Cherokee Purple.

I have found that description to be true of the Victory Seed Co sourced seed, but not so with the Burson freezer sourced seed. And that has been my point all along. Nothing more or less. I think it should be noted and documented. That's all.

Last edited by travis; February 11, 2016 at 09:52 AM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #51
charley
Tomatovillian™

Travis sorry brother all i was saying is my Indian stripes are giants and if indian zebra is bigger then woohoo bring it on.thats all.i realy hope they are bigger darker. And yes ive never tried it yet but i do have seeds growing right now that will be compared to a lot of the blacks but Indians stripe is not one im growing just i z