Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 5, 2016   #1
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Default Heirloomtomaguy's 2016 Grow List

So here is my short list as i am still waiting on a few varieties to come in the mail. I also have a whole mess of unnamed grow outs i have started along with the few named ones here. Probably a couple hundred plants total. Anyone with experience with any of these please feel free to comment on production/growth/flavor etc... Thanks.

Belle Maurinoise Jaune
Big Cheef
Black Beauty
Bonte Tigre
Black Striped Heart Cherry F?
Cherokee Tiger Black
Chocolate Sprinkles F1
Ditmarsher
Esterina F1
Gold Pearl
Heartbreaker
Honey Giant
Hundreds and Thousands
Indigo Cherry Drops F1
Lucid Gem
Mano
Maya Noire
Mcmurray #10
Moonlight mile F3
Muchacha
O'Sena Black
Orange paruche F1
Orange Sunshine F1
Pendulina Orange
Persuasion
Pit Viper F5
Podarok Fei
Raf Fimande
Sgt. Peppers F6
Silvoryi
Spiridonvskie
Sugar Plum Raspberry
Sun Gold F1
Teds Pink Currant
Tennessee Suited
The Thong F5
Toronjina f1
Utyonok
Zluta Kytice
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Imressive. Good Luck !
I have never grown a single one of them .
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

"The Thong F5"?? Tell me more about this one: why is it so called, what does it LOOK like..?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #4
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
"The Thong F5"?? Tell me more about this one: why is it so called, what does it LOOK like..?
HAS to be a ribbed variety :cool:
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #5
charline
Tomatovillian™

I am a little surprised..... thought it would be waaaaaaay longer......

should I send you some seeds ???
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #6
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

I think I've only grown Sun Gold F1 from your list.

I'd be interested in how McMurray # 10 does for you. If you don't mind, what's your seed source for this variety?

Another one I've considered form your list is Orange Paruche F1.

Best of luck to you with them!

Doug
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #7
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

As I would expect, not many are familiar. A couple are ones I really like, but they are wee little guys. hundreds and Thousands lived up to its name, and I grew it in hanging baskets. It resembled a currant tomato. Loved going out a grabbing some off the vine to throw in a salad. I found them very tasty. As I recall, at the time I got the seeds, the only place selling this variety was in England.

If you enjoy currants, Teds Pink Currant won't disappoint. Love those little guys, and the color is pretty, an added bonus. Production is fantastic also.

I did try Honey Giant one year, and it must be a very long season because I never got one ripe one, and I gave it one of my best spots.

Hum , Black Striped Heart Cherry sounds very interesting. Hope you will post some results from your grow outs.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #8
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I've located this picture, but unable to find much on habit or production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82860b3e9d25f3c83ce7a562bd5dae11.jpg (47.4 KB, 290 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
I know the name on this one is horrible but it looks to be an amazing tomato. Said to be a dwarf variety with just about every color on it. Here is a link with a description and a picture.
https://www.mariannasheirloomseeds.c...f5-detail.html
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old January 5, 2016   #10
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
I am a little surprised..... thought it would be waaaaaaay longer......

should I send you some seeds ???
Beleive me it is way longer i just chose to grow out way more crosses this year than usual. Im looking for that big winner.......aren't we all. As for seed i need to send you a list so you can pick some of my varieties to grow along with the Bianca Grande seeds im waiting to send you.
Old January 5, 2016   #11
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas14 View Post

I'd be interested in how McMurray # 10 does for you. If you don't mind, what's your seed source for this variety?

Doug
I received McMurray #10 from the swap this year. If the plants do well i will have no problem sharing some seed with you.
Old January 5, 2016   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

G, I read your list several times b'c I didn't see where you listed either yellow or red pear, but the black striped cherry is one that interests me.

Pattyb sent me fruits this past Fall and one box had just cherry sized one and one I really liked she called Striped Heart, which was actually oval and was, what I noted in my data book as red/green but I know it was darker than that.I'm in the process of following up on that but also wondering where you got your seeds for it.

I'm also curious to see what you get with Zluta Kytice, I know what I get as to shape and taste, the best multiflora that I've grown to date and had it here in the backyard this past summer, but there are differences of opinion as to whether the shape should be round or oval and what the correct name should be if there is just one.

And no, I have absolutely no intention of getting into the specifics of that i just want to know what you get with it.

Most of the references I found for the Thong variety were on facebook and I lasted on facebook, after being talked into it, for about two weeks, and still get notices asking me to rejoin, so the only non facebook link I have is one where it said that it was Blane Horton who bred it, which I had already assumed from the get go..\

http://prairieedibles.tumblr.com/pos...y-blane-horton

Carolyn
Old January 5, 2016   #13
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Black Striped Heart cherry.... I was not expecting to find a cherry size tomato 2015. Nothing more about the variety or where it might have come from??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marco 217 - Copy.JPG (222.3 KB, 269 views)
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #14
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
G, I read your list several times b'c I didn't see where you listed either yellow or red pear, but the black striped cherry is one that interests me.

Pattyb sent me fruits this past Fall and one box had just cherry sized one and one I really liked she called Striped Heart, which was actually oval and was, what I noted in my data book as red/green but I know it was darker than that.I'm in the process of following up on that but also wondering where you got your seeds for it.

Carolyn
I received my seeds from the MMMM swap this year so im not quite sure where they came from. From the looks of it though they seem to have came from Patty. I planted at least a dozen plants to help select for the striped heart cherry.
Old January 5, 2016   #15
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_b View Post
Black Striped Heart cherry.... I was not expecting to find a cherry size tomato 2015. Nothing more about the variety or where it might have come from??
Did you send these to the swap Patty? If so what generation are these seeds?