Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 16, 2018   #31
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I don't think that is necessarily true. In my experience, many long-life rin-heterozygote tomatoes ripen fully to a non-crunchy finish (if you exercise patience).

I also don't think "thick skin" can be assumed.
Low moisture content has been what I have noticed about the varieties that keep the longest. The De Barao cherries have been my shelf life champs. I have forgotten buckets of mixed cherries that were left to rot, then pulled out the De Barao from a pile of rotten fruit and they were fine.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Medovaya Kaplya is the variety. It looks like Yellow Pear. I shared almost all of my 2015 saved seeds. If I had seeds, I would mail you some, but my saved seeds from 2016 turned out to be crosses.

Not to be confusing - It's translation is, "Honey Drop." There is a different tomato variety called, "Honeydrop" I have grown both, and they are two different varieties. Both are good tasting and yellow. The Honeydrop variety I grew was from Fedco. https://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/?item=4106

I personally like Medovaya Kaplya better. I like the shape, and the taste is excellent. It's in my top 5 cherry tomato list. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Medovaya_Kaplya
I agree with you with many thumbs up, my seeds originally from Andrey in Belarus.

Not red,ahem, but who cares, not me.

Carolyn
Old November 16, 2018   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcrawler View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for a red cherry to grow next year here in Tulsa. I'm looking for one that's sweet and tangy, if possible. My plan right now is to grow Sun Sugar, Black Cherry, and KARMA Pink. I'd like to add a red cherry to complement that list. I've tried Tommy Toe before and didn't like it very much. I've grown Super Sweet 100 several times, and it's okay. But I'm looking for something different than that. It doesn't have to be open-pollinated, but I tend to lean in that direction.

Thanks!

Lee
I should have thought of these two varieties first. Texas Wild Cherry and Matt's Wild Cherry are both sweet and tangy and are Red When Ripe. They produce a lot of cherry tomatoes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018   #34
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for a red cherry to grow next year here in Tulsa. I'm looking for one that's sweet and tangy, if possible. My plan right now is to grow Sun Sugar, Black Cherry, and KARMA Pink. I'd like to add a red cherry to complement that list. I've tried Tommy Toe before and didn't like it very much. I've grown Super Sweet 100 several times, and it's okay. But I'm looking for something different than that. It doesn't have to be open-pollinated, but I tend to lean in that direction.

Thanks!

Lee
Very pleased you intend to grow KARMA Pink and I hope you enjoy it!
If you have a bit more room, Save some for another KARMA if you like. The whole series will be offered by Marsha if all goes well in January.
For a red cherry, I really enjoyed Ambrosia red. For a little more interest, I enjoyed Amurskiy tigr which is red with green stripes that ripens fully to red with yellow stripes. Nice size plants, easily managed and not huge and hard to control like many cherries .
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; November 16, 2018 at 05:51 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018   #35
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Lee
What you seem to be looking for is a red version of Sungold. I've been looking, too. There are several red cherries that are very sweet but missing that tang. I think if a red cherry with high sweetness along with a tang were developed, it would be immensely popular. Sungold has set a bar that has yet to be equaled.

With all the varieties of toms that exist, there is still something - something very worthwhile - for tomato breeders to shoot for ... the elusive, very sweet/delightfully tangy red cherry tom.

The best red cherry for high sweetness I've grown so far is Nectar. It's an F1 developed by Park's. It's similar to SS100 but the fruit is bigger and sweeter. The plant has good vigor where I am in zone 7A. The seeds are on the expensive side.
e.thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018   #36
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Try GARNET cherry tomato. It's very prolific and good in salads and on pizza. It's a little smaller than a "cherry" variety. It's bronze red to golden color. I have seeds if u need some next season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GarnetTomato.jpg (31.5 KB, 215 views)
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018   #37
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Agreed that Garnet is a tasty one!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2018   #38
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I had been thinking about trying Garnet, so that one might be the one to try this coming year. I also look forward to hopefully trialing another of the KARMAs, when Marsha is ready to send those out. KARMA Pink was a winner for me this year.

Lee
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2018   #39
JoParrott

I grew VALENTINE this year and i'm totally in love with it. It's a strong indeterminate that just grew and produced until we had a hard freeze last week. It really isn't a cherry shape, but a grape. I can't describe it's taste as sweet, tart, or other. All I know is that it is delicious, heavy producing and does well with slow roasting. I got my seeds from Johnny's Select Seeds- www.johnnyseeds.com There are several others with the name valentine, but this is the only grape that I know of.
Old November 20, 2018   #40
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I have struggled for years to find a good red cherry. Have tried many. This year, I had luck with:

1. Garnet
2. Husky Red Cherry

I also enjoyed the Purple Bumble Bee Cherry - it is reddish pink with stripes. Prolific for me.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #41
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

Looking for Cherry 505 seeds.
Please, let me know if it is possible. Advanced thanks
Old December 31, 2018   #42
JoParrott

I grew Valentine last year and it is wonderful ! No cracking, heavy production, and it is a huge plant ! It was the last in my garden to pull up=and that was only after a hard freeze! It was still producing then. Got seeds from Johnny's seeds- Seeds n Such has them this year and all their seeds are just $2.79 or less.-low shipping, too.
Old December 31, 2018   #43
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I hope to finally be able to grow Fox next summer, the seeds have been there waiting for a couple of years already.
And Sweet Aperitif... the thing is I am much more fond of other colors, so red varieties tend to get passed by in my books. (perhaps I should make amends and start giving red cherries more opportunities to prove themselves..) The ones I have grown have been nice (Gardener's Delight, Sweet Million f1..), but not really spectacular. Which shows how delicious some tomatoes can be!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #44
JoParrott

Default red tomato

https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product/v...rid-tomato-eb/

Here's Valentine info-