Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 2 Days Ago   #7591
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Robert, no need to apologize. Life does indeed happen and we have a similar situation here. Two adult offspring living here with us. At least I get lots of work out of one of them. ;-)
Old 2 Days Ago   #7592
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks like corn (maize) is the number one staple in the world by a long shot.
Rice coming in next.

From what I have read in other places besides the internet corn caused somewhat of a population explosion in Africa.
You can research what that led up to if you wish.
Old 2 Days Ago   #7593
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Feeding a family of 6 can fit into this thread, but some of the things I write might not fit for a family of one or two. For this I apologize.
No Apology needed!!

It's hard to cook a balanced meal for just one or two people without having leftovers and I would rather have leftovers for a quick meal the next day. Some meals are always better the next day too so that's an added bonus.

Even if the ham was $20, it would fit into "Cheap Eatin" for a family of six not including leftovers.

Cheap is a relative term, what's cheap to some might not be cheap to others regardless of price.

Home cooked steak and lobster is cheaper than going out to a restaurant so in reality, that's cheap eatin. See what I did there? It fits the description.

I bet your beans will be better today after it soaked up all that flavor last night!!!!
Old 2 Days Ago   #7594
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The big kettle is washed out and put back to use.
It is now cooking bacon, breakfast sausage, chopped hot links, red onion and diced potato in its own fat and juices.
Yet another European dish with many names.
I prefer to call it bratkartoffeln.
Not a meal I planned for but what I had around that needed eating.

Worth

Worth, that reminded me of a Frijoles Charros video I watched while looking up recipes.

I'm experimenting with a bean soup using mole as a base flavor with pork and pinto beans. I still haven't found a recipe using mole but I'm sure one is out there somewhere and I don't know the name of it.
Old 2 Days Ago   #7595
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Robert, no need to apologize. Life does indeed happen and we have a similar situation here. Two adult offspring living here with us. At least I get lots of work out of one of them. ;-)
Barb, I fully understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
No Apology needed!!

It's hard to cook a balanced meal for just one or two people without having leftovers and I would rather have leftovers for a quick meal the next day. Some meals are always better the next day too so that's an added bonus.

Even if the ham was $20, it would fit into "Cheap Eatin" for a family of six not including leftovers.

Cheap is a relative term, what's cheap to some might not be cheap to others regardless of price.

Home cooked steak and lobster is cheaper than going out to a restaurant so in reality, that's cheap eatin. See what I did there? It fits the description.

I bet your beans will be better today after it soaked up all that flavor last night!!!!

Thanks

I wait until the beans are finished cooking before I use bouillon instead of table salt. I cook them two hours before it's time to eat so they can soak in the flavors. The next day, beans always taste better.
Old 2 Days Ago   #7596
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth, that reminded me of a Frijoles Charros video I watched while looking up recipes.

I'm experimenting with a bean soup using mole as a base flavor with pork and pinto beans. I still haven't found a recipe using mole but I'm sure one is out there somewhere and I don't know the name of it.
Do as you wish but from what little I know a mole is something you put on food not in it.
So you would want to put it on grilled chicken or even enchiladas.
Old 2 Days Ago   #7597
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I thought the same thing about mole till I posted the Birria I made in my "Cajun Cooks" thread. It came out awesome and now I have to try this out on beans. I have the pot going now and should be done in 4 hours or so.

I asked about epazote and then I found a video where she used it in pork and beans, I'm doing the same thing with pinto beans except I marinated the pork over night in a mole I made that's seasoned with spices, onion and garlic.

You're gonna like her son wanting more habanero in the salsa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkUitoouE74
Old 2 Days Ago   #7598
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I thought the same thing about mole till I posted the Birria I made in my "Cajun Cooks" thread. It came out awesome and now I have to try this out on beans. I have the pot going now and should be done in 4 hours or so.

I asked about epazote and then I found a video where she used it in pork and beans, I'm doing the same thing with pinto beans except I marinated the pork over night in a mole I made that's seasoned with spices, onion and garlic.

You're gonna like her son wanting more habanero in the salsa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkUitoouE74

Reminds me of one of the guys from Victoria that put my ghost pepper sauce on his hamburger.
Oh diablos he exclaimed.
Old 1 Day Ago   #7599
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I finished the soup but it's more like a chili really. The flavor is amazing. I'm gonna use Mole next time I make a regular chili instead of all the dried spices.

Mole marinaded pork butt cut into 1-2" chunks

I added beans and meat to the pot then topped it with water and added chicken bouillon powder and fired it up.

I even found some epazote and added a little, this isn't for everybody. At first I could smell a slight kerosene smell but after cooked it faded.

Simmered for a few hours till the meat was fall apart tender and the broth thickened.

Served with onions, diced tomatoes and seasoned with my pepper salt.
Old 1 Day Ago   #7600
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I finished the soup but it's more like a chili really. The flavor is amazing. I'm gonna use Mole next time I make a regular chili instead of all the dried spices.

Mole marinaded pork butt cut into 1-2" chunks

I added beans and meat to the pot then topped it with water and added chicken bouillon powder and fired it up.

I even found some epazote and added a little, this isn't for everybody. At first I could smell a slight kerosene smell but after cooked it faded.

Simmered for a few hours till the meat was fall apart tender and the broth thickened.

Served with onions, diced tomatoes and seasoned with my pepper salt.

That broth looks nice and rich with flavor! Great thinking with using the mole that way, I may have to try that out.
Old 1 Day Ago   #7601
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It's really comfort food and you can control the heat and flavor with the dried chiles you use, The good thing is even if the mole is spicy it settles in with the broth and it's just flavor. I made this with Ancho chiles, the one in my thread I made with pasilla peppers. Both came out good and I had to add pepper to spice it up a little.

It was so good I had to write a recipe so I don't forget what went in it. I hate when I make something and change it up then can't remember what I changed so from now on I'm gonna write out a recipe. I'll post it if anyone wants it. It's a two day/step process but the good thing is mole freezes well so that makes it easier.

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; 1 Day Ago at 06:53 PM.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7602
imp
Tomatovillian™

I would love it if you would post that recipe, it sounds and looks very good.
Old 1 Day Ago   #7603
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you want it Imp, this is cheap eating that last days kinda like a Thanksgiving turkey to make leftovers but all different. I'll post the recipe at the bottom but I forgot I bought cilantro and that would've gave it more flavor. Dang I hate when I do that but I was busy cooking skagetti for the fam, they can handle only so much of off the menu food.==Habits.

Here's where the cheap eating comes in. After further research I learned that they make a big pot and use it in different ways through out the week. It can be a soup, tacos, smash the beans to make burritos, add the broth as a dipping sauce or cook it down and make a chile.

I made tacos with corn tortillas cooked on the gas stove burners, added some of the meat shredded, beans and a little of that gravy

Chopped up some sides for decorations! That's a hatch pepper for a little heat and flavor.

Walla!!!

Topped with salsa verde and the normal american salsa

Time to eat, Nom Nom Nom!!!

After letting the soup sit while I ate it reminded me of Taco Bell's beans and cheese. Does anyone remember that? It was refried beans and came in a small container loaded with cheese.

This is so much better than Taco Bell, it's spoon slurping good!!

As promised after I made you read that long response, here's the recipe. Ask questions if it's not clear or I confused you.

Rob O’s Mexican Pork and Bean Soup

Ingedients:
3-4 lbs pork butt cut in 1-2” cubes
1 lb dried pinto beans
2 cloves of garlic
2 medium onions
3 bay leaves
½ tsp each of cumin, oregano, ground ginger, black pepper
2 cubes of chicken bouillon
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
8-10 dried ancho chile peppers, you can use any dried chile peppers used for Mole

Making the Mole for the marinade
1. Deseed peppers and rinse them off, reconstitute in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain peppers but save broth.
2. Peel 1 onion and garlic, cut in cubes.
3. Place peppers, onion, garlic and vinegar in a blender or food processor, blend into a paste. You may have to add a little broth the peppers cooked in to thin it a little. You want a thick paste but still able to pour out of the blender. Add cumin, oregano, ground ginger and black pepper, blend till smooth.
4. Marinate the pork in this paste overnight.

The easy part, cooking the soup
1. Place pork, marinade, bouillon cubes and cubed onion in a large stock pot and fill with water 1” above meat. You may need to add more water as the beans soak it up.
2. Clean the beans and add to the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium/high simmer and cook till both are tender. Salt to taste at this point. Stir so it doesn’t burn the bottom. This should take about 3 hours but the longer it simmers the better the flavor will be. You can simmer it down to get the thickness you want.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, Bon Appetit!!!