Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 12, 2016   #16
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

I have bsf maggots in my compost for most of the year and they give a funny smell, I find it gag-worthy. It isn't the anaerobic rot smell, it's just a different, weird smell. So, weird gag worthy smell may also be maggots.

Yes, this is a legit form of composting. Yes, it works. Yes, it is safe. They're a native fly where I live and I couldn't keep them out of my compost if I tried.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #17
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default BSF?

Black soldier flies?

For decades, I thought the adults were handsome, black bees! They're the workhorse heroes of manure-infused composting; they do good, quick work, and the results are earthy, not poopy.

Quote:
You can use any kind of animal flop . . .
I agree.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #18
berryman
Tomatovillian™

My big horse manure hot compost pile from this spring has lots of tiny white mycelium through it. Smells real nice like mushrooms in the forest.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #19
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

My compost pile comprises of tree leaves and garden scraps if fully finished have a fresh earthy smell, otherwise nothing.

I prefer to put kitchen scraps in the compost tumbler, I gets too many visits from possum, cats and racoon otherwise.

Last edited by maxjohnson; June 14, 2016 at 11:06 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #20
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

I agree with loulac. If it smells that bad, it's not getting enough oxygen and it's producing anaerobic bacteria, vs aerobic. Compost is made from aerobic bacteria, sewer sludge is made from anaerobic. Stay away from that stuff. If you put it on a veggie garden it will pollute the veggies and can make you sick.
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #21
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I am bringing this compost thread back to life today because I am in trouble with mine.

So, we took our dear passed dog's 6' x 6' x 6' kennel which has two doors on opposite sides to use for my compost pile. We put the cardboard down on the cut grass/weeds that make up our yard and began piling on the stuff after wetting the cardboard. It was working well, seemed to be breaking down but then it became bad. So, I looked for more I could add to it to make it less green and more brown. I found the straw at tractor supply to add to it and stirred a bunch of that in along with some chicken coop no stink stuff to get it moving.

This seemed to be the trick, and I have continued the layering, I have only tossed it a couple of times since, but now I am plagued by all the weeds coming into my pile from the sides, mostly weed grass on long thick rizomes. It's two feet taller than the compost heap. I don't know how to get my compost back.

I started this compost before my stint in the ER last year and it seemed to be doing well. It doesn't smell like anything bad at all. I have been using straw, paper, carboard, coffee grounds, and kitchen scraps. I have collected some oak leaves from a kid down the road that are currently bagged. I want to kill the wooly worm eggs that like to make homes in the trees here before I add to the pile. Here those eggs live for at east 10 months in the trees, and the worms come out beginning in spring. Yikes!

How do I get my compost pile back before the weeds take it over completely? We decided to use the kennel because there is a family of opossums that like to use our fence for their nightly foray into the neighborhood. They are also the culprits I believe to be causing damage to my garden plants.

Update: I have also been able to find composted chicken manure to toss into the compost bin for heat.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 4, 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #22
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I feel for you. I had the same problem the year that I added straw to the compost. It was the regular bedding straw for horses and was full of seeds. I had it sprouting all year. All that I can suggest is to keep turning it and throwing the clumps of grass onto the concrete so that they dry out and die. I have never used straw again...
Old April 4, 2017   #23
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I feel for you. I had the same problem the year that I added straw to the compost. It was the regular bedding straw for horses and was full of seeds. I had it sprouting all year. All that I can suggest is to keep turning it and throwing the clumps of grass onto the concrete so that they dry out and die. I have never used straw again...

Thanks Miss, this is what I purchased. It's not to feed horses, it's described on the website as;

"Standlee Premium Western Forage Straw can be used for animal bedding, erosion control and composting." But it's not for horses bedding, they will eat it and cause stomach problems to themselves.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...ximately-50-lb

It's Certified Noxious Weed Free.

My problem is the weeds our yard grows, I think it's called crabgrass, but we have numerous kinds of weeds. This crabgrass has encroached into my compost pile. I don't know what to do to get it out of my compost. I hate that stuff. It's one of the reasons I have raised beds with bottoms in them, to keep as far away from the weeds as possible. I didn't want my compost pile in my garden area though, it's only about 24' x 24' or something.

I have my garden on professional landscape cloth to keep away from the grass that harbors the mosquitoes, and all the other icky's that like to crawl all over me. Fire ants for one, Andro works well on those, but I don't want to walk into a nest in the garden. It helps to keep them out of my garden beds also. Oh, so many lawn insects in the south that I don't want in my garden.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 4, 2017 at 08:05 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Did you know the seeds of crab grass are edible.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #25
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Did you know the seeds of crab grass are edible.

Worth
I love ya Worth. You are full of so much information.

Are you suggesting that he harvest the seeds for his salads?
Old April 4, 2017   #26
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, is your grass an annual that spreads from seeds or is it a perennial that spreads by underground runners? When you speak of "long thick rizomes", I am thinking that you either have that straw sprouting and growing or something like Bermuda grass.
Old April 4, 2017   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If it really is crab grass.
There are several kinds.
It is cultivated in other places.
If it is edible I'm gonna know about it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...EHGERmgHr6KXUQ

Last edited by Worth1; April 4, 2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old April 4, 2017   #28
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My compost bin keeps growing tomato plants.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
My compost bin keeps growing tomato plants.
Mine has a loquat forest in it.
Old April 4, 2017   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My Mom & Stepdad recently visited a guy who has one of the biggest compost-producing operations in the state of Missouri. He gets animal bones for free, and has mountains of them. They get ground up before composting, and he adds whatever else he can get for free. He gets a lot of scraps from deer-processing operations.

And yes, the place stinks. But he makes good stuff.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote