Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2018   #16
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default No offense taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPete View Post
Thanks Carolyn and Donna. On re-reading my previous post it does appear that I am questioning the origins of this particular tomato which was not my intention. I was interested in whether there was some sort of dna type test for generally checking the origins of new species. My apologies if I offended anyone. On a side note when I moved to PEI I made new friends one of whom is a 70ish gent that loves gardening like I do. He had never heard of dark tomatoes so when I started mine I gave him one of the starts for Indian Stripe. He was so thrilled about that tomato when it finally ripened that it was great to hear him rave about it. I had a hard time convincing him to try any others. He did eventually try different ones but Indian Stripe is still his hands-down favorite!

Thanks, Pete
Pete, there was absolutely no offense taken by me. I just thought I would chime in and say what I knew about Indian Stripe. I can't believe that the tomato which was once confined to a garden in Arkansas is now a favorite all over the world. Clyde Burson called his tomato Indian Stripe which sounds very similar to Cherokee Purple, what with both tomatoes having green shoulders and faint striping emanating from said shoulders.

Donna

Last edited by SpookyShoe; July 11, 2018 at 09:55 PM.
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
Indian Stripe was a tomato that I found growing in the garden of a friend of my in-laws. His name was Clyde Burson. He and my in laws lived in South Central Arkansas. I sent the seeds to Dr. Carolyn, who grew it out and it was determined that Indian Stripe is a sport of Cherokee Purple. That is the Cliffs Notes version of what happened. The Trail of Tears did go through Arkansas.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Thanks so much for chiming in Donna and I'll expand on it just a bit.

Clyde Burson Sr. said it was called both Indian Zebra as well as Indian Stripe, and if I could link to Tania's data base,which is not available now, it would say that I chose to call it Indian Stripe, I had that option,since at the time there were different versions of Green Zebra,which Tom Wagner had bred, there was a Red Zebra as well as a Black Zebra as well as an Orange Zebra and I didn't want to confuse the situation.

So yes,I grew out some seeds that Donna sent me, saved those seeds and sent some to Craig LeHouiller in NC since he was the one who first got the seeds from JD Green for what he originally called Cherokee Brick Red, and then changed it to Cherokee Purple.

Craig agreed that there was a very strong agreemment between CP and IS, but there were a few minor differences and those were:

IS has smaller fruits and more to the truss, but also has the same stripes that CP has before it is ripe, and yield is greater with IS than with CP.

Which is why, I think Donna may have said it above,IS is for many more popular than CP. And both CP and IS have PL versions, another instance of the relationship.

Pete, I know no one who has does genetic testing with heirloom tomatoes but in the past it has been done with some F1 hybrids, but that's a much longer story.

However, various heirloom varieties have been put into categories of relationship according to their gs alleles,of which there are several alleles.

Carolyn,who was looking in a recent SSE Annual Yearbook for something and saw someone saying that it was Craig LeHoullier who first discovered Indian Stripe.NOT. I've known Craig since the late 80's, we kind of met via SSE Yearbooks.
Old July 13, 2018   #18
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks so much for chiming in Donna and I'll expand on it just a bit.

Clyde Burson Sr. said it was called both Indian Zebra as well as Indian Stripe, and if I could link to Tania's data base,which is not available now, it would say that I chose to call it Indian Stripe, I had that option,since at the time there were different versions of Green Zebra,which Tom Wagner had bred, there was a Red Zebra as well as a Black Zebra as well as an Orange Zebra and I didn't want to confuse the situation.

So yes,I grew out some seeds that Donna sent me, saved those seeds and sent some to Craig LeHouiller in NC since he was the one who first got the seeds from JD Green for what he originally called Cherokee Brick Red, and then changed it to Cherokee Purple.

Craig agreed that there was a very strong agreemment between CP and IS, but there were a few minor differences and those were:

IS has smaller fruits and more to the truss, but also has the same stripes that CP has before it is ripe, and yield is greater with IS than with CP.

Which is why, I think Donna may have said it above,IS is for many more popular than CP. And both CP and IS have PL versions, another instance of the relationship.

Pete, I know no one who has does genetic testing with heirloom tomatoes but in the past it has been done with some F1 hybrids, but that's a much longer story.

However, various heirloom varieties have been put into categories of relationship according to their gs alleles,of which there are several alleles.

Carolyn,who was looking in a recent SSE Annual Yearbook for something and saw someone saying that it was Craig LeHoullier who first discovered Indian Stripe.NOT. I've known Craig since the late 80's, we kind of met via SSE Yearbooks.

Let us not forget the breeder of these delicious dark tomatoes, Joe McFerran and his colleagues at the University of Arkansas. A brilliant man in the agricultural arena.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/obituari...an-2011-12-17/

seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Let us not forget the breeder of these delicious dark tomatoes, Joe McFerran and his colleagues at the University of Arkansas. A brilliant man in the agricultural arena.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/obituari...an-2011-12-17/

Yes, I've known about him for a very long time and the pinks that he bred, many of which are still very popular.

As I remember it there used to be a BIG Pink Festival every year,maybe you remember the same?

Just a suggestion but I think there should be a Hall of Fame of tomato breeders, both commercial and amateur as well, and I wouldn't refer to those amateur ones as not knowing what they were doing as well.

Along with Joe I'd put Dr. Randolf Gardener way up there as well,he just died a year or so ago at age 99. When I read his obit I was shocked to find that I knew him as head of the Math Dept at NY State Teachers college and as such also had an office at The Milne School where I went for 7 thru 12.

He also went to Cornell as I did,I didn't know that until I read his obit,which I posted here at Tville as well.

Carolyn