Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2018   #2341
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salsacharley's idea is one that has been and still is thought about to this day.
It is one that needs to be well thought out before ever practiced.
There are many instances in history were it has been done with success and disaster.

All over the world to way back in time.
The great mound outside St Louis is an example of a disaster where the Indians diverted a creek to water corn.

If we look way into the future of our society what we do will effect them in many ways.

Even the act of building dikes along rivers and flood control dams effects the future.
Right now they are worried about the Asian grass carp invading the great lakes.
Yet another stupid idea they came up with bringing them here.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2018   #2342
salix
Tomatovillian™

Down to only 1.5 C overnight...
Old July 14, 2018   #2343
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Geeze, I'm not talking about taking regular water from one place to put it in another. I'm talking about reducing flood damage in one place to relieve drought in another. There is still the exact same amout of H2O on the planet today as there was millions of years ago. It has been relocated by aquifer pumping. If the earth is in an enclosed system, everything is still here that was here in the beginning (except for stuff we have launched out of our atmosphere), although the composition of a lot of it has been changed and mostly for the bad.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2018   #2344
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Geeze, I'm not talking about taking regular water from one place to put it in another. I'm talking about reducing flood damage in one place to relieve drought in another. There is still the exact same amout of H2O on the planet today as there was millions of years ago. It has been relocated by aquifer pumping. If the earth is in an enclosed system, everything is still here that was here in the beginning (except for stuff we have launched out of our atmosphere), although the composition of a lot of it has been changed and mostly for the bad.
I think your pipe line idea is good but you know how pipe lines can get distorted.

How big would this thing have to be to do any good alleviating a flood damaged area?
Plus all the pump stations involved.
The pump turbines.
It would be a tremendous feat for sure.
It would create jobs.

One thing we would have to consider is transporting zebra mussels from one place to another.
Old July 14, 2018   #2345
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

flooding here was local due to heavy rain fall, hilly roads, culverts blocked or overfilled, storm of a century stuff. it would have been nice to have some system in place where overflow could collect and run off harmlessly, but the cost to put in a system i think would be rather daunting. there just aren't enough people here who could pay for it.
it would have to be a federal project akin to connecting the nation with highways.
i did not mean to sound unsympathetic to the thirsty parts of the country. my earlier response came off as rather harsh.

and yes, we have the same amount of water on the planet today as we did a few million years ago. it didn't go anywhere.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018   #2346
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hey Salsacharley, I appreciate your comment in the spirit it was intended... it would be a fine thing to direct the ol storm clouds down to the drought area... and while we're at it, how about chopping a few degrees off the Texan heat for poor Salix to enjoy? If only...

I feel for you, Salix. We had our last 2C days just before the solstice... still holding with classic summer weather now, just a cool nip in the breeze to remind that the ocean is below normal. Lovely day of desultory rain showers yesterday and still showering today.. we needed it badly at this point... it's great not to have to water.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018   #2347
imp
Tomatovillian™

102F in the shade in the back yard right now, humidity is running a tad bit higher than it has been at almost 40%, so sticky.

Looks like this is going to be the weather for the most part through the end of August. Sigh. It's Texas hot here and just something to get through.
Old July 15, 2018   #2348
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Heat wave here (just before the Summit of the Presidents)... and tomatoes are growing fast.
Even our weather forecast issued a warning of the continuing heat. 29 C and rising. (84 F)
Probably something that a Texan wouldn't even blink about but for us, a bit too much...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018   #2349
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Heat wave here (just before the Summit of the Presidents)... and tomatoes are growing fast.
Even our weather forecast issued a warning of the continuing heat. 29 C and rising. (84 F)
Probably something that a Texan wouldn't even blink about but for us, a bit too much...

If not used to the heat ( or cold), it can be like a slap to the face. If you have time, your body tries to accommodate to the weather, but down here often people stay under the air conditioning too much and suffer when they get out in it. Plus, not enough water intake makes you hotter feeling.
Old July 15, 2018   #2350
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I've lived in a hotter climate, so I am actually used to it somewhat. What is different compared to places, like, texas or Southern Europe, is that our days are long and nights do not get dark... so it's actually daylight most of the time and the cooler period is very short.

We also have a very outdoors culture in the summer, so people are used to walking, hiking, biking etc... but this weather makes it hard.

No air conditioning in most flats / houses, my flat is really like a sauna even with closed shutters. I keep the balcony door open for air circulation. My plants need watering several times a day and I cannot even dream of a out-of-city vacation.. I don't want to be greeted by roasted tomatoes upon return
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018   #2351
imp
Tomatovillian™

Above the 100's, maybe hitting 110 F Friday or Saturday. Just too hot, LOL. I wish the dog would let me wet her down in this sort of weather, but she stays in a lot and I am making sure she and the cat have plenty of fresh water.

92 F at 10:30 pm, wind is still and I am thinking about going out in the backyard again and turning the hose on me to cool off like a kid.
Old July 16, 2018   #2352
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

As a kid I'd wet down the front of my summer nightie and turn the fan directly on me to try & sleep on hot nights.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018   #2353
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
As a kid I'd wet down the front of my summer nightie and turn the fan directly on me to try & sleep on hot nights.

I recall my Mom taking a coke bottle with a cork that made a sprinkler head ( it was for ironing clothes) and sprinkling us and the sheets to help cool things a bit.

I just got all wet with the hose and sat in front of the fan, now 2 minutes later just about dry again, but a bit cooler.
Old July 17, 2018   #2354
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Afican Dust cloud - I keep seeing this on the internet, just wondering if anyone in texas has been affected ?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018   #2355
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post
Afican Dust cloud - I keep seeing this on the internet, just wondering if anyone in texas has been affected ?
Sky seems hazy but not uncommon with all the hot air around the state capitol.
Worth