Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 5, 2013   #16
nativeplanter
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Scott, you hit the jackpot! I must admit that I am green with envy over your trip. The markets look like really neat places. Was the vendor able to give you any indication as to whether the seeds were open-pollinated or hybrids? I'm guessing not.
nativeplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2013   #17
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

He said they are traditional Armenian varieties, although my research on the Net indicates that some of them were created in the 1990s and 2000s, but I am almost sure that they are OP.

The hybrids that I saw in the market are from outside of Armenia, are packaged differently, and cost much more.

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; February 5, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2013   #18
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Scott, great finds!

I do hope that you will retain the original names of these varieties, and not have them circulated under their translated names!

The 'non-Armenian' packets are Russian. I can help with both transliteration and translation.

Pic 1: top right: Черри - Cherry. Vendor: Vitas. I guess it is just a non-name or generic cherry tomato?
Pic.1 bottom right - Золотая Россыпь - Zolotaya Rossyp' - Vendor: Vitas. The name means something like Gold Mine

Pic.3
Персик - Persik - Peach. Vendor: Gavrish
Апельсинка - Apelsinka - the name means sometime like 'little orange' (referring to a fruit). Vendor: Gavrish.
Богатырь - Bogatyr. Vendor: Udachnye Semena.
Ледяная сосулька - Ledyanaya Sosulka - this is probably a translated name of a well known radish 'White Icicle'.

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; February 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2013   #19
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Tania. By original name, you mean the transliterated English name? If so, yes, definitely, that is the name that I will always keep with the seeds. They have a clear history in Soviet and Armenian ag research that should be maintained.

Thanks for the translations. The vendor told me they were Ukrainian, so sorry to get that wrong.

Did you see the final picture of other Russian varieties? If you could cast an eye on those, I would be grateful.
Old February 5, 2013   #20
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps the vendor got them from Ukraine, and this is why he was thinking they were Ukrainian.

Scott, I am not sure which picture you are referring to? I got #1 and #3 covered.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 5, 2013   #21
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Thanks - somehow didnt see your comments on the picture #3. I see them now.

The Russian tomato is called Persik or "Peach"? It looks like an interesting peachy color, for sure.
Old February 5, 2013   #22
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I have seen the Persik tomato in Russia before, and I still have not figured out if it is related to our Peach (i.e. garden Peach) tomatoes. I think I have seeds, so I just need to grow them side by side to compare.

I would not trust the color on a Russian seed packet

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 5, 2013   #23
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Armenian melons are awesome!
And I love that Armenian hot pepper. I wonder how hot it gets - please let us know when you grow it!

There are some Armenian roots in my heritage, but I have never visited Armenia. And I so not know Armenian language. Sigh.

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; February 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old February 5, 2013   #24
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Scott,

Pics #1 &2 have some or all Armenian writing. I can double check the translation if you want. Many have been given names that are "given names" - first names of people....just at a glance. Will translate and edit here in a few minutes.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2013   #25
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Thanks - somehow didnt see your comments on the picture #3. I see them now.

The Russian tomato is called Persik or "Peach"? It looks like an interesting peachy color, for sure.

Scott, this was my fault, as I edited post later - I needed to save it and return to your original post to view the 3rd picture.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 5, 2013   #26
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I was booked to go do architectural research in Armenia back in my undergrad days. But the Canadian dollar was doing a nose dive and the trip just got toooooo expensive to do on a student budget. Which was a bummer since getting there was going to be the expensive part....especially since I'd spent months getting all the paperwork done to go. And there was a serious pile of diplomatic tapdancing to do to get permission to go.

That was all before the fall of the USSR. No issues now. Quite a few family members have visited Armenia and family there. Its funny but I wasn't even aware of how many relatives I had there until I started working on the family tree in the past 7-8 years. Apparently a number of my Father's first cousins left Egypt to go to Armenia in 1947. Then couldn't get out after Stalin clamped down. Some left for the U.S. in the 1990's, some were killed in the big earthquake in 1987, and some are still there.

A trip there is still on my bucket list. So love to hear about other's trips there.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #27
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Hi Scott,
A recent post caught my attention and brought me back to this thread. The first seed pack in row six (third from the bottom going up) of your post #15 is of interest to me. The pack is written in Russian and labeled as Перец БОГАТЫРЬ. Перец is the Russian word for pepper and БОГАТЫРЬ refers to knights or valiant warriors. There is famous painting of bogatyrs (БОГАТЫРЬ) by Viktor Vasnetsov here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor...2.80.931926.29

I am very interested in growing this pepper out and multiplying the seeds for distribution.

Dutch

P.S.Some folks might consider "Ragnarok (Thor)" to be a bogatyr type character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; November 9, 2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Grammar and Added post script
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #28
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Bogatyr sweet pepper is very common here in former Soviet Union countries. It is widely distributed by many Russian, Belarusian and Ukrainian seed companies. It is Moldovan CV from 1980s.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #29
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Scott,you certainly lead an interesting life and come up with some interesting stuff. Keep us posted.

Jon
PS I am still enjoying the peppers from Vietnam. Thanks again.
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #30
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Hi Scott,
A recent post caught my attention and brought me back to this thread. The first seed pack in row six (third from the bottom going up) of your post #15 is of interest to me. The pack is written in Russian and labeled as Перец БОГАТЫРЬ. Перец is the Russian word for pepper and БОГАТЫРЬ refers to knights or valiant warriors. There is famous painting of bogatyrs (БОГАТЫРЬ) by Viktor Vasnetsov here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor...2.80.931926.29

I am very interested in growing this pepper out and multiplying the seeds for distribution.

Dutch

P.S.Some folks might consider "Ragnarok (Thor)" to be a bogatyr type character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU
Very amusing. Sure, you can have some seeds from that pack.