Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 14, 2018   #31
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I think I'm gonna get one of those cheap portable greenhouses for the new ones. It'll be easier than trying to figure out where to put more lights. I could technically use the basement, but it's awkward getting down there, so I'd rather not.
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #32
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Baby plants
Old March 18, 2018   #33
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Fine looking kids you've got there, Kelp.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #34
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Nan! I posted this picture on my Facebook page and my aunt posted a picture of hers and said "my tomatoes are bigger than yours". Yeah, they were about 8 inches tall with about 2 sets of leaves. I refrained from telling her to move them closer to the light and just agreed.
Old March 18, 2018   #35
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Nan
Old March 19, 2018   #36
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Stupid tomato plant addiction...

I got a couple of clear plastic bins at walmart to try and use as mini greenhouses. Just for the extra tomatoes I'm going to sell. If they don't work, I'm not out much money, already had the seeds. The little pots are 3" pots that come 12 for $1 at the dollar tree. 3 dozen pots fit nicely in each container. I picked out 10 varieties I thought would sell best. I have: Cherokee Purple (of course), Rutgers, Martino's Roma, Pineapple, GGWT (who knows, might sell), Barry's Crazy cherry, Reverend Michael Keyes, Lucky Tiger, Pink Tiger, and Blush. They're just coming up now, I'll pot them up in a few days.
Old March 23, 2018   #37
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

One of the flats. I took a picture of the other one, but the plants are all smaller so they just looked weird in the photo. So these are all the bigger plants, 3 weeks after sowing. They have about 3 or 4 weeks left before I can plant them in the dirt. I'm getting their gardens ready, I can't wait.

I'm trying something new this year, and planting them on teepees. Basically, they'll each have their own 6ft bamboo pole, but there will be 4 tied together at the tops. We get wind storms here with some pretty powerful gusts. I'm thinking these will hold up to that pretty well.
Old March 24, 2018   #38
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

New tiny seedlings. They're tiny, but I wanted to get them into the bins. It's about 50 degrees outside, but 65 in the bins with the cover on (cover is clear). I'll bring them in at night until it's warmer out.
Old March 28, 2018   #39
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I apparently didn't save any seeds last year from any of my dwarf plants. I wasn't really planning to grow them again, but I wished I'd saved some Tennessee Suited, because they grew really well last year, the rest of my dwarfs didn't do nearly as well. So when I went to look at my community garden plot, I found a dried up tomato where the Tennessee Suited plant was. It was the right color, but GGWT was near by, so it could technically be that. The only other plant in the bed was pineapple, and it definitely wasn't that. I stuck the seeds in a pot of peppers on the windowsill, but didn't expect much. Well, as you can see, they came up! It'll be obvious soon enough whether they're Tennessee Suited or GGWT.
Old March 28, 2018   #40
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

You can't lose with either of those varieties.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #41
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

That's what I figured.

I went down to city hall yesterday to see about getting a second plot, and they're all sold out! Which is actually good news, there were so many empty plots last year. So now I have some rethinking to do. I can do a lot with my back yard.
Old March 29, 2018   #42
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

4 more of these will go up in my back yard. Let's hope they hold up to our crazy wind. It's smaller than I thought it would be, only about 4 - 5 feet tall or so. But I have skinny bamboo poles I can stick in the ends of these to get more height if that becomes an issue.
Old March 29, 2018   #43
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

BK, is that going to be a tomato cage, a pea trellis, or what?

Nan
Old March 29, 2018   #44
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well, did I? It's for tomatoes. One plant per pole (they're 4 feet apart). They'll be a little crowded at the top, but like I said, I can make it taller, so that should help. It's pretty much going to be like staking tomatoes but the stakes are tied together for strength. The twine is there so I can weave the plants through as they grow, instead of trying to tie them. Mostly an experiment.

I planted lettuce in the middle.
Old March 31, 2018   #45
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Are those onions around where the tomatoes will be growing? After searching for info about powdery mildew I learned that onions also get it. Mine get something that looks like it so I am not growing any near where my toms are going this year.

http://caes2.caes.uga.edu/commoditie...y%20Mildew.pdf
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote