Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old May 21, 2015   #31
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yah, percentages are a nightmare and impossible to really know what's what. I don't think any market near me uses % any more. I think a few art fair types still do but only a few.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2015   #32
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

For the market I frequent it's ten bucks for annual membership and five bucks a week.
Old May 22, 2015   #33
Keger
Tomatovillian™

One I go to has no annual fee, just by the week. I am really, really, tired of watching markets implode from simple greed. Many vendors will say and do anything. One day a lady bought a tomato plant and the guy next to me told her " don't by that! buy my tomatoes when they are ready" Very uncomfortable for the customer.

This issue with markets is that they have forgotten about the customer. Now they all scream about needing more customers but they never give a reason for more folks to come out. This whole price fixing thing is past idiotic. Where is the integrity in that? Charge what the market will bear for what you have. If you cant compete that's your problem to figure out.

I got a couple guys together, found a good location, and we started a little roadside stand.

Much better way to go.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #34
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had one other vendor get mad about my sign on my tomatoes that said "pesticide-free." I guess customers who had been by my booth would come over and ask him if his tomatoes were pesticide-free. At a market meeting, he told us that "there was really no such thing as pesticide-free." LOL. If I never sprayed them, then what else are they?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There are lots of roadside stands where I live.
I think this is what I would do too.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #36
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
There are lots of roadside stands where I live.
I think this is what I would do too.
Worth
Yes, and this is kind of happening the last couple days. I talked with the owner of the shopping area where we set up last week, they love the concept, the customers loved it and so on. This week we will kick around the idea of a permanent set up.

In the mean time a couple grower buddies of mine asked about selling at the stand too, as they are frustrated with how farmers markets operate these days. So I am thinking maybe start a little co op, something like that. Run of course by a somewhat benevolent dictator, me.

Might be interesting.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #37
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Make sure you get all your guvmit permits and ducks all lined up or they will be on you like a chicken on a June bug.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #38
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Make sure you get all your guvmit permits and ducks all lined up or they will be on you like a chicken on a June bug.
That is so true.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #39
Palmandan
Tomatovillian™

FarmerShawn - I am in Cabot - where are you? I have been involved with and participated in many different farmers' markets. The most crowded and financially lucrative market was also the most unpleasant for me - as the vendors were very competitive and the board was unpleasant. The market I attend now has great leadership - wonderful vendors with fair prices - and many loyal customers.
Palmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #40
Cville
Tomatovillian™

Our dues are $50 a year, down from $80 last year. It does include the rental cost of the porta-jon as well as a liability insurance policy that covers all the vendors. It is a small growers only market.
Cville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #41
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmandan View Post
FarmerShawn - I am in Cabot - where are you? I have been involved with and participated in many different farmers' markets. The most crowded and financially lucrative market was also the most unpleasant for me - as the vendors were very competitive and the board was unpleasant. The market I attend now has great leadership - wonderful vendors with fair prices - and many loyal customers.

I'm on the Connecticut River in Maidstone, vending in Lancaster, NH. It's a great little market, and I misposted earlier, before we actually had to pay our weekly fee. I said it was five dollars, but it's gone up to seven dollars a week.