Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 29, 2016   #61
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

MgSO4 deficiency is no big deal. Simply add some Epsom salt, pop off the bottom leaves, and transplant them, overall the plants look just fine. I have dealt with that too many times to count. With potted plants that happens during the fast growing stage quite often if a person does not use a mix for tomatoes. Again, it does look like MgSO4 deficiency, I have had it much worse than that and got loads of tomatoes. Piece of cake...
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #62
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default A new problem

Hi..Thanks again ..they have softened their stand ..they sort a comment from the growers "The gardening centre said they were allright when they left here ..the grower said probably due to watering?" now the problem is they were never watered by me prior to my taking the photos..its a cop-out....but I will do what I believe is best...

BUT PLEASE HELP....
Another problem ..or could be....I have noticed this on some of my plants for quite some time now ..it does not appear to be doing any harm but it could be ....One would almost think someone has thrown talcum powder on the leaves and its blown off but left a white powder like colouring on them ..I have licked my finger and wiped it but it is in the leaf....Hopefully my photos will get a reaction and tell me what it is and take the action required...Other than that everything is going alright apart from the time it takes doing everything....

Thanks Ron...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2839.jpg (571.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2840.jpg (395.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2841.jpg (365.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2842.jpg (433.8 KB, 44 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #63
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That's powdery mildew. It's bad. There are a lot of simple sprays to kill it. I would use drugstore peroxide, which is 3%, diluted 50/50 with water to make a 1.5% solution.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #64
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Another problem ..or could be....I have noticed this on some of my plants for quite some time now ..it does not appear to be doing any harm but it could be ....One would almost think someone has thrown talcum powder on the leaves and its blown off but left a white powder like colouring on them ..I have licked my finger and wiped it but it is in the leaf....Hopefully my photos will get a reaction and tell me what it is and take the action required...Other than that everything is going alright apart from the time it takes doing everything....
Could be from something you sprayed that dried with a residue.

But most likely, it's tomato powdery mildew, Oidium neolycopersici.

Are these the plants from before that almost died?
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #65
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Yes, powdery mildew, they are garbage now, just my opinion from experience. There are chemical solutions that you could use, a milk spray will keep it beat down, but I would start over.
That is a one that can form even in low humidity, I just got back from our state Plant Materials Center, and talked to the disease guy, we actually just discussed PM about 25 minutes ago. NOT GOOD
Old December 29, 2016   #66
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi These are the plants that I bought from the Garden centre ..they were at a cut price and it was at a time when I did not know whether my own plants would survive ...so it was a back up for me..BUT in saying this I have seen this previously on some of my plants ...Its too late to start over again ??? Hell this is my 3rd time ....These plants have not been sprayed by me .....Ones I sprayed with Thiram are separated from the other plants ...it looks like I need another hospital......
thanks Ron
Old December 29, 2016   #67
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

You have nothing to lose, then. I guess you can prune off affected foliage and spray with horticultural oil or neem or potassium bicarbonate or some other powdery mildew remedy. Unaffected plants will need to be sprayed, too.

Please follow package instructions carefully for foliar spraying. Oils can be damaging when applied at the wrong time of day or in the wrong concentrations.

I've had luck with bleach spray on powdery mildew of squash (knocks it back well, although it comes back because once the spores are in the air, it's impossible to eradicate), but I know you just had a traumatic experience with incorrectly applied bleach spray, so you probably don't want to try it.

Last edited by gorbelly; December 29, 2016 at 09:40 PM.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #68
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Ron, since your out of time look up the milk spray dilution and use it, it will help and your not spraying any chemicals. Keep spraying them, drench them, over and over. I'm sorry man, have been there many times, keep your chin up. Dang, I hate seeing that. If you want I will look for a spray in my collection of GH info we get at conventions, it is chemical stuff though. Some of the other suggestions will work too, good luck
Old December 30, 2016   #69
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...thanks for all the info ...but i presume one has to choose a particular one or two and try it out...I have been watching Youtube videos and baking soda is dominant as a powdery mildew treatment so i can try this as soon as the sun subsides...and then do some with milk...I just noticed one of my plants that is showing nothing on the leaf top yet underneath is completely white...HopefullyI do not think its wide spread yet....I do not have the inside of my greenhouse organised...with tools etc lying around...there is some finishing work still to do so I have to be carefull ....
I do recall seeing this on a plant inside the house...From memory and Its terrible but I think it was an Early Girk graft...It only bore one tomato right at the bottom of the stem and has not since produced a flower or a fruit... It was purchased from a gardening centre and I am beginning to wonder if this is the problem IE are my propagated plants diseased..
i will just have to be extra careful...I am still getting Tasty toms from a plant that was grown from a lateral and transplanted in its big growing drum on May 11th inside the front room under lights..its nearly finished but it sure has been a good plant for me....Thanks Ron
Old December 30, 2016   #70
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...More to my powdery mildew ....I bought several packs of 6..IE 6 plants in tiny pots joined together ..They were on special ($1 to $1.50 each) ....I couldn't buy pots as the earthquake had stopped the trucks bringing them down here so I used three polystyrene boxes after drilling drain holes and filling with potting mix..I got 12 plants in each box and they were looking not too bad ..I had to stake them with small stakes cause they were fairly weak in the stems...but overall they were looking as a good backup in case of anything happening ......All these or most of them have powdery mildew ...I have so far only found one potted plant infected and the mildew is under the leaf...

Later I will make up a baking soda mix and take each box out of the greenhouse and spray it ...then take it back in again...I will just have to continually check all my plants as powdery mildew may not be the only thing going on......

I have a new lot of plantlings growing inside underlights and they have to be protected as I am relying on these for seeds for next season If I live that long...I do not know what happened to the 30 odd plants I had set as a figure to grow...Its now more like 100....Never mind I am sure I will find homes for them...
Sadly my Stupice are not propagating and the ones that did died....I believe last years seeds and Stupice was one of these were not only diseased but some were not true to label and resulted in last season being horrible ... Thanks Ron..
Old December 30, 2016   #71
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Milk and baking soda work the same way. They change the ph of the leaf surface so the mildew won't grow.

Mark, speaking of powdery mildew and greenhouses, do you ever use a sulphur vaporizer?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #72
moneymaker
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ron. ,just looking at them plants you bought , I would start by cutting some of them side shoots far too many even after repoting,, and use some as cuttings, as I don't. Think you are going to get any joy from the garden centre ,22 dollars a plant ?? Should be 2 dollars. , And is that moss. Growing on the soil in the polystyrene your pots are standing on in the greenhouse
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #73
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Hey Cole, I am aware of it, but have not used it. I have only had PM once on tomatoes and that was last year, and it was a bad deal. I even noticed PM outside on tree leaves last year. Yesterday I was at the state AG center and they said it was everywhere last year.
I am switching cucumber varieties to PM resistant varieties, poured concrete floors, greenshielded everything, I am going to try to do the best I can to sure that never happens again. Clean, and clean again
Old December 30, 2016   #74
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Milk and baking soda work the same way. They change the ph of the leaf surface so the mildew won't grow.

Mark, speaking of powdery mildew and greenhouses, do you ever use a sulphur vaporizer?
Hi..I did buy peroxide but at this point decided to try baking soda and milk ....I also see that a commercial company of repute here make a copper-sulphur especially for powdery mildew...
I am not getting the perlite I paid for ...for the new year which means i will be held up for repotting my $22 plants ....I presume I need perlite in my soil mix...I could buy a $75 bag of perlite ?? locally .....
I have a couple of jobs to do on my greenhouse over New Year then I need to organise the plants within it...
Cheers Ron ..
Old December 30, 2016   #75
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
Hi Ron. ,just looking at them plants you bought , I would start by cutting some of them side shoots far too many even after repoting,, and use some as cuttings, as I don't. Think you are going to get any joy from the garden centre ,22 dollars a plant ?? Should be 2 dollars. , And is that moss. Growing on the soil in the polystyrene your pots are standing on in the greenhouse
Hi..thanks for comments...Yes they need pruned .and there would be some nice cuttings .as for the garden centre my confidence in them is at a low but in saying that I understand they only get in what they are supplied by the grower..but to blame me for the plants short comings has really infuriated me.....Now re moss....I cannot make out what you are meaning...My $22 pots are standing on the side of a freezer (turned on its side) my smaller plants are on capilary mats which feeds water to them held in polystyrene trays ...There is certainly no moss ... Cheers Ron