Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 17, 2012   #1
Chenango
Tomatovillian™

Default corn pollination

I just harvested my Golden Bantam corn and I need some help about pollination. Most of the ears were not full.

I had only 3 rows spaced at about 12 inches and I did hand pollination but I am thinking of seeding 4 rows next year to avoid the trouble of having to distribute the pollen myself on each silk.

Do you think I can expect full ears with 4 rows spaced at 18 inches ?

Thanks
Chenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2012   #2
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

It might be better. You don't say how big the patch is but generally small corn patches get better pollination if they are square or close that. One long row 100 ft long is the "worst case scenario". Of course if you hand-pollinate, rows can be any length or shape. I hope it does better for you next year.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2012   #3
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I planted mine at field corn commercial density of 30,000 plants/acre. That worked out to 30 or so plants in a 45 square foot patch (9'x5'). Perfectly filled ears.

When you say hand pollination, did you collect pollen in a paper bag and sprinkle on the silks? If you do it that way, do it twice with 48 hours between pollinations.

18" apart for the rows should be fine.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2012   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Besides pollination problems, drought can also cause incomplete ears. Most corn should get at least an inch of water/rain per week.

Golden Bantam grows well when spaced 12" apart in rows spaced 36" apart.

If you have four rows, the wind will do the pollinating for you.

Last edited by dustdevil; August 30, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2012   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

This was the worst year to grow corn in 60 years for most of North America. The heat, drought, and low humidity made the corn pollen desiccate - it dried up and blew away before pollination could occur. Optimum daily high temperature for corn is about 87 degrees Fahrenheit. For every degree above that, yield goes down. When it's 107 with no rain, there is no corn. Farmers near me are baling the corn fields to feed to cattle; it's a total loss.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote