Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 2, 2014   #1
seeker
Tomatovillian™

Default Caribbean Red question

A friend of mine asked me to start some habeneros for him this year. I picked up a pack of Caribbean Red seeds. But when I got home and looked them up, I read that Caribbean Reds are much hotter (like twice as hot) as regular orange habeneros. Can anyone tell me if that's true? I know that the orange habeneros are at the limits of his heat tolerance, so should I scrap the Caribbean Reds and try to find different seeds? Anyone want to trade?
Thanks,
Paula
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #2
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I have grown both of them and did nt find that much difference but, I maight add that I am a seasoned hot pepper eater. If your friend has been eating them for some time he might find that he can handle them ok.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #3
Hermitian
BANNED

The Caribbean Red, aka Red Savina is one of the hotter habaneros. Now if we are talking about the Scoville scale, the nominal habaneros are in the 100k range, while the Red Savina runs about 250k depending on growing conditions. But the Scoville scale is a linear scale of concentration, while the human sensation scale is exponential. So although the Red Savina is twice as hot as an orange habanero on the Scoville scale, there is a minor difference in the human perception. Another interesting related fact is that the human gustatory system cannot differentiate heat on the Scoville scale above 400k. So the difference in concentrates that are 600k scoville and 1000k scoville in terms of tasting directly is academic. If you're making pot of chili, then it's 2 vs. 1 drop.

Last edited by Hermitian; March 2, 2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: a
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

It depends on what he wants to use them for. If he wants to eat them, you might be better off to get something milder. If he is going to use them to make sauce or seasoning peppers, then they will work fine.

The hottest pepper I grow for flavor is Chapeau de Frade. It is usually about 1/2 to 2/3 the heat of a habanero.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #5
seeker
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for the great information. It sounds like the Caribbean Reds would probably be okay, but since he eats most peppers fresh (uncooked, I mean), I think I'll play it safe and look for something milder. Thanks again!
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #6
aconite
Tomatovillian™

You can get more or less mild peppers with the flavor of a habanero. My favorites of those are numex suave orange and habanero el remo. The numex variety is a beast in growth and productivity, very tasty too.
aconite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #7
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconite View Post
You can get more or less mild peppers with the flavor of a habanero. My favorites of those are numex suave orange and habanero el remo. The numex variety is a beast in growth and productivity, very tasty too.
Those two peppers are great for providing the habanero flavor without all the heat.