Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 2, 2007   #31
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Here's a list of what I've sown. Most of these are destined for other peoples gardens. The ones marked with an asterisk are for the cross-hemisphere dwarf project for which I'm growing a few this year.

Amish Salad
Anna Russian

Aunt Gertie’s Gold

Azoychka

Bisignano #2

Black Cherry

Black from Tula

Black Krim

Black Zebra

Box Car Willie

Brazilian Beauty

Burracker’s Favorite

Canestrino di Lucca
Cheeky F2*

Cherokee Chocolate

Cherokee Green

Cypriot

Dr. Carolyn

Dwarf Russian Swirl* (Dopey F3)

Earl of Edgecombe

Fritsche

German Red Strawberry

Golden Dwarf Champion

Green Giant

Gregori’s Altai

Grub’s Mystery Green

High Crimson

Ida Gold

Italian Red Pear (Bavicchi)

Italian Red Pear (Franchi)

Jaune Flammée

Jaune Flammée x Paragon F2
Kalman’s Hungarian Pink

Kellogg’s Breakfast

Kimberly

Lucky Cross

Mama Leone

Marianna’s Peace

Martino’s Roma

Moldovan Green

Mortgage Lifter (Estler Strain)

New Big Dwarf

Oleyar’s German

Orange Heirloom

Orange Russian #117

Orlov’s Yellow

Paragon

Potato Leaf

Rainy’s Maltese

Regina
’s Yellow
Ropreco Paste

Rose

Soldacki

Spitfire Hybrid

Tasmanian Blushing Yellow

Tézier

Victoria
Wuhib
Old September 3, 2007   #32
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Grub, Spatz n Raymondo your lists sure put my wee grow out ta shame lol..
I need a few acres here to get that kind of a list in the ground lol..
I had a top Tommy growing season even between Funerals and bad health in familly..
Starting to settle down now and try get a small grow out fror Summer though i have my doubts on its success except for beans and cukes ...
Should get at least a feed from the so called summer crop as the ones i have planted are heading in the right direction with wee little tommies everywhere over the plants...
How has everyone been keeping anyhows???, all in good health i hope...
Cheers n hope to stay in touch...
PS for grub
Had a trip out where the Reds all wanted to party and come home with me mate, had to turn all the lights out in the Boat to confuse them and then near got run over by a blind yaughty in the middle of the night lol..
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2007   #33
tessa
Tomatovillian™

time to update my list:

added today are:
green grape
gardener's delight
mini orange
canabec
canadian heart
anna russian
portuguese
big white
brandywine sudduth
brandywine otv
stump of the world (!)
ashleigh
big streaked
john's big orange (thanks john!)
german lineage
polish giant
tom's yellow wonder (!)
and...
waiting...drooling...hoping...
there will be a GMG!
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2007   #34
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hi ya Pete,

Glad to hear you still have a few in the ground and that you have other stuff growing. I'm goign to sow a few more of ya Cypriot Cukes, as they were good a few years back... long and sweet... I, too, will try some beans. Like 'em with tomatoes and garlic and slow roasted till all nice and sweet.

Glad to hear about the reds... you make me drool. I had the freshest red emperor last week in the Whitsundays.. mmm. Been raining up your way, eh... stil, I got a bit of a tan. The yachties are everywhere at this time fo year. So, too, the whales.

Best to you and your family and best wishes my friend.
I'm off to the Gold Coast on Sunday to take a boat to the Sandy Straits via Fraser Island. No tackle, but the girls are hitching a free ride.

Check in often.
Yasoo, Poli kala psari, domates, Harti Eeyeeas
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2007   #35
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Mate i think ide have better luck with the tackle at my age than the hitchikers lol .. Besides concentration would be effected .....
Still have two nice big reds sittin in the freezer waiting for the young fella to come visit as well as some Ahtapothy(Octopus) "pickled" in ye ole ferfrigerator though i think that will be toppled over this weekend as have visitors for a weeks stay which will see the end of any full ripened Tommies in greek salad, Fish, Occy , squid etc polished off a tad with a wee squirt of ouzo..
Hope this isnt off topic but planted some Mint adjascent to some of my Tommy Plants and appears the mint found the soil to its liking and now its taking over worse than pig weed or passpailing..
Mint live alongside with Tommy plants okay???...
Anyhows you have a good trip and safe boating..
Wish this weather would drop out here as have swag of bait in the freezer taking up room lol..
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2007   #36
palerider
Tomatovillian™

Volley, I know off topic, but mint is a bugger to get out of the ground. A pot is good.
palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2007   #37
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

I bought what Eden Seeds calls “Kellogg’s Beefsteak” they describe it as:
Large orange fruit with outstanding flavour. 80-95 days.
My thought is that they renamed Kellogg’s Breakfast. I spoke to Spatz about it and she also believes it’s what they have done.

From those seeds one of the seedlings has PL first true leaves. Is it too early to assume it’s going to stay this way? Can the plant develop serrated leaves on the following sets?

I’ve read a few thread in here about a PL Kellogg’s Breakfast (aka KBX) is it possible this is what it is? Or maybe just a mix up……

I am a bit short on space but I HAVE to grow this one.
If anyone has some information or has grown Eden Seeds Kellogg's Beefsteak it would be appreciated.
Cheers
Fullmoon (aka LynLyn)
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2007   #38
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi LynLyn

I bought from Eden last year but had very poor results - they called it Beefsteak then too. This year the mice demolished the rest of the packet and Spatz came to my aid with some seeds that are growing like gangbusters. I'll be growing them on for seed. I can't imagine that a PL would change to a RL if its showing PL characteristics. But I'm no expert. My take is that either you've got a stray seed in the packet or something unique. I had something similar and am growing it on as a 'renegade' just to see what it is.

cosmic
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2007   #39
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

As soon as I saw the listing for Kellogg's Beefsteak in the Edens catalogue I thought they'd misnamed it. The description is for Kellogg's Breakfast. I've been meaning to let them know but keep forgetting. They make mistakes from time to time. I'm sure the seed was sent to them and they misread the name, probably hand written. Eden seed growers are scattered all over the country.
I don't know anything about KBX, so can't comment there. If your plant turns out to be PL the only thing we can say for sure is that it's not Kellogg's Breakfast.
Old September 7, 2007   #40
palerider
Tomatovillian™

LynLyn, I'm growing the Kellog's Breakfast, sorry Beefsteak, from Eden's this year. I just assumed it was the breakfast. Only time will tell.
palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2007   #41
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Ray here's one thread that talks about KBX:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=6285&page=2&highlight=kellogg%27s
There's a picture on the second page.

We should let Eden know about the mistake. We know the real name but I'm pretty sure alot of people wouldn't have a clue.

Palerider, I'm glad to hear you're growing them as well. We'll have to compare notes. Are your seedlings up yet?

Cosmic, I've read about the little buggers ransacking your tresor box. I think I would of cried. But happy to hear that the Seed Queen came to the rescue
Btw I went onto you blog and cannot find the moon calendar. What section is it under?

It's potting up day for the tommies. Now I just need to figure out where everything is going to go. I got out of the eggies thread quickly yesterday as I could hear myself say...maybe...just one more...I'm sure you know what I'm talking about
Old September 7, 2007   #42
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hehehehe... I will make sure you are on my eggie seed list.

Glad to hear you're potting up already... a big job that's great to get out of the way. Still waiting on true leaves here. Eggies and peppers are slow out of the blocks.

Looking forward to reading about KB.

Best, Gs

Last edited by Grub; September 7, 2007 at 08:12 PM.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2007   #43
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi LynLyn, I potted up two weeks back and there has been a good rate of growth. Pics on my blog. Re the Moon guide. There's a link on the blog ( top right) to my email so you canget it sent every month. I'll need your email. Septembers has been sent but if you email me, I'll send it and put you on the regular mailout.
Yes, the Seed Queen was a lifesaver, so was Raymondo, DerbyPeter and offers from Grub and Mantis - I really appreciate the network of growers we have here.
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2007   #44
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Slightly off topic. Does anyone have an email address for Eden Seeds? I'd like to get in touch with them (other than by phone/fax). Not about Kellogg's Breakfast but ...

On topic - my babies are resting at the moment. They are looking out into the garden from the window sill and just sitting there. Even with this warm weather. Or maybe I'm just getting impatient. I'm working on the tomato beds at the moment.
Old September 7, 2007   #45
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Cosmic I've just send it through your blog.

Grub, crazy stuff happened here in the last few months and I really didn't have time to even think about what I was going to grow this year until only about two weeks ago. When I finally got to look at the eggplants seeds I had I realized that there was only one that I wanted to regrow. Listada de Gandia. I wanted a slender/asian one but didn't have seeds. So I admit with embarassament that I decided to buy something from the nursery . I didn't trust myself with another seed order coz I very well knew there was NO WAY I could buy only 1 packet.