Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 29, 2012   #1
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Default Status of Park Seed nowadays?

Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has done business with Park Seed's recently. I know there are a few threads about them going through some tough times but that was back in 2010 so I didn't revive those threads.

I've ordered from them the past three years or so and everything came pretty quick in year's past. One of my bio domes was cracked on delivery and they sent out a replacement immediately. That was two years ago.
I know others haven't had the same sucess with them though.

I ordered some bio dome sponges and a few packets of Four O'Clock seeds on January 15th and the only thing I have received is an email saying my order is being processed.

I've sent them an email this morning and if I don't hear back soon, I will be calling them. If the items are backordered, I would at least like to know so I can plan accordingly.

They send out a pretty thick and vibrant catalog if the company is still in trouble.

Thanks folks!
Brian
Old January 29, 2012   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I used to order a lot of flower seeds from them, they had a huge variety of fancy hybrid petunias and odd flower seeds that were hard to find elsewhere. My favorite varieties and colors always seem to get dropped!
They also were the only place I could get the heavy duty green plastic plant trays. But the last ones I got were only about 1/2 as thick as the originals and I've already have cracked a few.

I ordered consistently from them for probably 10-15 years, but have not much lately. Don't know why, maybe the prices have gotten too high, postage too high, or they don't carry the things I want anymore. I always had good service, from what I remember. I kind of have the impression that they are now more into providing the Martha Stewart type of gardening experience than what a dirt-grubber like me wants. I'm looking forward to seeing the catalog though, when I get back to the USA soon.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2012   #3
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I got my bio sponges in at the end of last year. They have changed suppliers. The texture is not the same, and the quality seems to be not quite as good either being not quite as consistent in form from one to the other. Now, none of that matters if they work well, but I am not at a point to judge that quite yet.

Last edited by Keiththibodeaux; January 31, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2012   #4
dinca
Tomatovillian™

On January 10, I ordered seeds for myself and a number of other gardeners from the websites of Park, Johnny's and Burpee. On the 12th I received e-mails from Johnny's and Burpee stating the seeds had been shipped on the 11th. (I've since received both orders - Johnny's was days ahead of Burpee.) I wrote Park on the 13th asking if they had received the order. On the 14th Park wrote, " We were conducting physical inventory this past week and did not ship. We will resume shipping on Monday 1/16/11 [I think they meant 2012, not 2011] and your order will go out this week." On January 25th I received an e-mail stating the seeds had shipped that day - maybe I'll get them this month. We've seen nothing to suggest their products are inferior in anyway, but Park is SLO-O-O-O-W. Since this is a three-peat performance for them, we'll be seeking another source of Beefy Boy hybrid next year.
dinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2012   #5
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
I got my bio sponges in at the end of last year. They have changes suppliers. The texture is not the same, and the quality seems to be not quite as good either being not quite a consistent in form from on to the other. Now, none of that matters is they work well, but I am not at a point to judge that quite yet.
I ordered refills for the small sponges last year and they had definitely changed suppliers. They were more square shaped and it seemed the sponge would crumble off if you weren't gentle.

This year I had to re-order the medium sized sponges.

Might have to look around at what other outfits carry these. I know it has been mentioned on a few other threads.
Old January 29, 2012   #6
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from them up until two years ago. Their germination rates on tomatoes and peppers were always extremely good (loved their foil packs) and they always had an interesting selection. The only problem I ever had was occasionally getting a packet (out of twenty or more) back ordered, twice being too late to start in the greenhouse. I don't consider that enough to complain about.

Since I've started trying mostly heirlooms, I've found other suppliers that have good selections at much better prices. I can get twice as many seeds for half as much at many places.

I was also a little spooked by all of the negative feedback at Dave's Garden. Things seemed to be going downhill fast for awhile there. Others wrote of being out hundreds of dollars. I can't afford to take that chance right now.

Just checked the reviews at Dave's and it's about half and half positive/negative for the past year. Personally, I'll stick with other suppliers for now.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2012   #7
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

I got 4 packs of seeds from Parks just yesterday. The packs looked the same except the origin- 2 from UK, 1 from Israel, 1 from USA. Goofy.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2012   #8
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I used to order from them annually up until the last couple of years. I always received good service, the prices were great, and the seeds germinated extremely well.

However, last year (or the year before), I noticed the prices in their catalog were starting to approach Burpee prices (they are still cheaper than Burpee). I can't justify spending close to $4 - $5 on a packet of seeds. There are just too many other seed companies to order from that sell seeds at a more reasonable price.

The only way I would order from them is if I wanted Whopper Tomato seeds or any other product that is difficult to find elsewhere (or on products with more reasonable prices).
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2012   #9
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

isn't it such a shame? I always believe it is important to support companies that have reasonable prices. The more we order from companies with inflated prices, the more it encourages them to raise their prices. I make it a point to support small companies as much as I can, though, that is sometimes an exception to my "price" rule. I did get what seems like a good deal from Burgess on some flowering/ornamental plants for my bees, but it remains to be seen how that works out. I'm waiting to see how the plants and the service are before I post a more definite opinion on them. But they sure had decent prices.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #10
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Well, at least I got an email back from them this morning. That was actually pretty quick. My bio dome refills are backordered and should ship early Feb.

They didn't have them labelled backordered on their site when I ordered. Oh well! That will be fine.

I really don't order seeds from them.

I tried Park's Whopper from them for the first time last year and was very satisfied with them. They produced like crazy, no disease, no cracks, pretty good taste.

I just ordered the Four O'Clock seeds this year because my family has been growing them forever and they just developed a new color so I got them. Otherewise, not really one of my chocies for seeds.
Really just needed my bio dome refills.
Old January 30, 2012   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Dee, if your'e talking about those green heavy duty trays that I know as Permanest trays you can get them at Harris Seeds.

Indestructible, and it's all I used until I switched to professional 20 row inserts that fit in a standard nursery tray.

I mainly used the 8 x 8 inch one for starting seeds in those PErmanest ones.
Old January 30, 2012   #12
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip, Carolyn, those are the ones. I like the 11" x 22" ones, because I do carry seedlings in cell packs in and out of the house almost as soon as they sprout, and the trays are so sturdy. I also line them with newspaper and use them to carry and store unripe tomatoes in the fall. Not sure they are really worth $10 apiece, but I'll probably order some more.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #13
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

They have a hybrid pumpkin called Rumba that I planted a few years ago. I loved those little things! They looked like a smaller version of the fairytale pumpkins and they actually survived the onslaught of insects that regularly devour every squash I have ever attempted to grow.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #14
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Thanks for the tip, Carolyn, those are the ones. I like the 11" x 22" ones, because I do carry seedlings in cell packs in and out of the house almost as soon as they sprout, and the trays are so sturdy. I also line them with newspaper and use them to carry and store unripe tomatoes in the fall. Not sure they are really worth $10 apiece, but I'll probably order some more.
Shop around. I don't think Harris Seed is the only one that carries them.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2012   #15
botanophilia
Tomatovillian™

May 7, 2010 the company that owned Park Seed and Jackson & Perkins declared bankruptcy. They were subsequently bought by an investment firm (Blackstreet Marketing I believe). Prior to that for a couple of years customer service and quality on the wholesale side of JP were declining pretty steeply. Can't say anything about parks customer service as I never really ordered from them. As far as I know they are free from financial trouble, but they still need to work on turning customer service around.
botanophilia is offline   Reply With Quote