Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2015   #46
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 942
Default more ramblings

Thanks to all with the suggestions etc.

I am trying to eventually have the fewest of hybrids and greater part heirlooms

so to this quest it would seem Super Sioux is one to add to the garden just in case it is a super duper heat year .


Someone mentioned Kootenai was an interesting heat tolerant one .........

hmmmmm wow a small container tomato as well as heat tolerant .....

yellow pear was mentioned again....with Money maker heirloom for the hot year..

Sweetie Cherry .....and Matt's wild cherry ...Roma VFN

I guess I will have to stick with Big beef as a generic Hybrid /disease resistant/heat tolerant back up .


Again thanks to all for your suggestions
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #47
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 942
Default Heat tolerance most timely this year !

Well it is July 3,

as I suspected in May there could be Major Climate adjustments this year that could affect the Tomato Culture !


Today on Vancouver Island from Campbell River South there is a Sport fishing ban on in creeks and Rivers ...due to a Level 4 (highest Level ) drought.

the local rivers have smashed the previous recorded low level record and are at about a quarter flow of the record ....and heading lower !

NO SNOW PACK ... no skiing in June ,

Hydro electric generation was suspended on one local river June 14th !

5 years ago we had a summer of only 4 days at 20C/70F or above till the August long weekend .

Right now it looks like we will not have much lows BELOW 20C/70F in the next week and every day highs of 30-34 C/ 85-93F.




Thanks again for all your input it seemed to be a bit more timely than even I anticipated this year ...........

In this heat I would now have considered Porter ! ha ha ha who Knew !


So peoples of the PNW stock up on Super Sioux !
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #48
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™
 
wormgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 243
Default

All right! I will definitely try it next year.

I have been thinking of you, since I saw that most of Canada is actually cooler now. But I guess this was not true on our coast. I have been joking we have switched weather with the East coast!

Mountain Princess is a trooper of a plant. She did not grow very tall at all, very bushy and short. She's loaded up with tomatoes and I expect some to start blushing any day. I am getting Cherokee Purple and Black Krims now, but I started those earlier. Mountain Princess was a late addition and she is doing very well. I am excited to see how she tastes.

As far as a tomato that did not do well in this year's heat for me - Anna Russian. The seedling I bought seemed healthy enough (droopy, but that is normal). However I think my mistake was putting Anna in a smaller pot (she would obviously like a much larger one) and also in a hotter spot. The other russians did not get as much heat and they are doing fine. Anna is suffering from one or more diseases and only has produced 8 tomatoes. I don't know if this is because she is a russian variety, that she did not tolerate heat well, but it's my best guess.

Jenn
__________________
Jenn
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #49
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 942
Default

shade shade shade shade..........
that is what the Dr. ordered this year .

I have some determinant plants that have given buckets of red fruit and they are done !

fast and early .........Time to rip out and go for second crop as well .....these plants have

progressed about 6 weeks early ! This has never happened this way before .

0 precipitation for July with
Blue skies only interrupted from the haze and smoke from numerous forest fires !
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #50
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Finland, EU
Posts: 2,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
shade shade shade shade..........
that is what the Dr. ordered this year .

I have some determinant plants that have given buckets of red fruit and they are done !

fast and early .........Time to rip out and go for second crop as well .....these plants have

progressed about 6 weeks early ! This has never happened this way before .

0 precipitation for July with
Blue skies only interrupted from the haze and smoke from numerous forest fires !
I don't know if you plan to rip them off completely, but there is a trick I saw on-line that seems to help produce a second crop from determinates:

Chop the stem and branches off, allow the stump to have a rest, add some liquid fertlizer and you see small branches begin to form around the stump. This supposedly invigorates the plant and gives it a boost to 'live again'.
Might work.. I think I'll try it with my mini dwarf - once it stops producing, I'll chop the leaves off and see if the cycle starts again
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #51
bower
Tomatovillian™
 
bower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 5,819
Default

Well BlackBear, take a look at this map of North American temperatures in June:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...r-stats/53904/

You're somewhere in that Red blob of Heat in the west.. and yes, I'm in the dark blue band of nippy on the east side... brrrrr. We are sure having a cool one so far, but that's okay... I'm sticking with the quest for cool setters. You can always grow em early.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #52
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™
 
sjamesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Well BlackBear, take a look at this map of North American temperatures in June:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...r-stats/53904/

You're somewhere in that Red blob of Heat in the west.. and yes, I'm in the dark blue band of nippy on the east side... brrrrr. We are sure having a cool one so far, but that's okay... I'm sticking with the quest for cool setters. You can always grow em early.
Bower, dark blue indeed! I guess the jet stream has been doing the same thing here i Norway. We had a cold May, and the coldest June in 20 years. My outdoor garden tomatoes planted out on May 24th have grown about a foot, and only Kimberley has set a couple fruit. Good thing I have a greenhouse.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #53
bower
Tomatovillian™
 
bower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 5,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Bower, dark blue indeed! I guess the jet stream has been doing the same thing here i Norway. We had a cold May, and the coldest June in 20 years. My outdoor garden tomatoes planted out on May 24th have grown about a foot, and only Kimberley has set a couple fruit. Good thing I have a greenhouse.
Indeed, without a greenhouse it would be pretty poor pickins here. I did plant some outdoors at my Mom's in the last week of June and in spite of the bad forecasts. They had set a couple of fruits sitting in beer cups, and surprisingly they have put on a few more and are starting to get some foliage to replace what they lost - scrawniest plants you've ever seen. So the fruiting is much admired. Moravsky Div, Chernomor are tough and reliable, and two new to us this year, Ukraine Purple and Bursztyn are holding their own. The cool setting varieties are a treasure!!
My first blush in the greenhouse is an F2 of Stupice X Black Cherry. Second blush is an F2 of Kimberley X Zolotye Kupola. Plus one for Kimberley!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #54
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I don't know if you plan to rip them off completely, but there is a trick I saw on-line that seems to help produce a second crop from determinates:

Chop the stem and branches off, allow the stump to have a rest, add some liquid fertlizer and you see small branches begin to form around the stump. This supposedly invigorates the plant and gives it a boost to 'live again'.
Might work.. I think I'll try it with my mini dwarf - once it stops producing, I'll chop the leaves off and see if the cycle starts again
I have a few Sasha's Altai that produced a bucket of fruit in short accelerated development order...more fruit than plant by a long shot .....I am thinking that is a ripper .

As well as Bush early girl ...same deal ... ( good yield ..but I chalk this one under hybrid misadventures !....the trial is over for this hybrid and...Celebrity )

The shady area ones are most healthy and producing ...and developing ..later (or right on NORMAL season time)

same with Siletz Big Big yield ...but this year I was so impressed with the development and yield and looks of the plants ..under these conditions ...I may try the chop and regrow idea to see how it goes .....given the parthenocarpic nature of Siletz ...you never know as well .

I have a few Silvery fir that loaded up ...they can be rippers ....even though I know they give 2 crops anyway ....I have other plants waiting in the wings. I have staggered some late plants ready to be planted in other areas just in case !
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #55
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Indeed, without a greenhouse it would be pretty poor pickins here. I did plant some outdoors at my Mom's in the last week of June and in spite of the bad forecasts. They had set a couple of fruits sitting in beer cups, and surprisingly they have put on a few more and are starting to get some foliage to replace what they lost - scrawniest plants you've ever seen. So the fruiting is much admired. Moravsky Div, Chernomor are tough and reliable, and two new to us this year, Ukraine Purple and Bursztyn are holding their own. The cool setting varieties are a treasure!!
My first blush in the greenhouse is an F2 of Stupice X Black Cherry. Second blush is an F2 of Kimberley X Zolotye Kupola. Plus one for Kimberley!
sad to say ....but I miss the cool summer dearly this year ......

I also miss my normal cool varieties being able to show up the regular varieties ...in a cool year ....less water demand ..less heat stress etc.

The coastal cool variety game I had figured out ...then this .........

Blue Skies

By Irving Berlin


I was blue, just as blue as I could be
Ev'ry day was a cloudy day for me
Then good luck came a-knocking at my door
Skies were gray but they're not gray anymore

Blue skies
Smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies
Do I see


ha ha ha ha
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2018   #56
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™
 
Al@NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 720
Default

This thread is a little dated now but considering how cold our spring has been so far I think it's relative for a lot of people in that we might go from cold spring into a heatwave of a summer. And of course the PNW situation of coldish nights and hotter days...

I just stumbled upon a said list of cold and heat tolerant varieties according to someone on another site. (Several of these are already mentioned but I just copied and pasted)

Heat and cold tolerant tomatoes
Aussie
Black Cherry
Black from Tula
Black Prince
Celebrity (hybrid)
Coldset
Cuautli Salubong
Djodah
Dragon's Eye
Early Girl (hybrid)
Fireworks
Glacier
Kimberly
Marmande
Notchli
Persimmon
Pineapple
Pink Bumblebee
Pink Siberian Tiger (grows well in cool or hot climates according to mariannasheirloomseeds.com)
Principe Borghese
Pruden's Purple
Punta Banda
Purple Bumblebee
Siletz
Stupice
Sun Sugar (hybrid)
Taos
Yellow Pear


I'm growing Southern Night this year and so far the seedlings have been my largest growing seedlings with colder temps this spring. It's mentioned as being a hot weather variety but it's handling the cold like a champ as well for me.

Al

Last edited by Al@NC; April 13, 2018 at 01:24 AM. Reason: removed links for varieties...
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2018   #57
bower
Tomatovillian™
 
bower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 5,819
Default

I can vouch for Stupice. have seen it set fruit right up against the glass in my greenhouse, where others drop all their blossoms.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2018   #58
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™
 
Al@NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 720
Default

I have still yet to try Stupice! I'm a Bloody Butcher fan and from what I've read they are very similar but I'm going to have to break down and compare one day.

From reading here on T-ville, it seems there is about 4 different versions of Stupice as well so idk. I'll probably just order from Tatiana...

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #59
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 942
Default

Bah ! extra cool spring and not ready this year ....

I have lots of seedlings so I trialed a few out in a protected open tunnel and we had a little

frost showing on the west side of shed roof ..but not on east side etc.

Perhaps a little early even in protected tunnel where soil temp. climbed to 18 C during the day ..

but gets cold at night .

In this situation Silvery fir , Latah , Kimberly , Juliet ,Chernamor , Sophie's choice seem to be doing o.k.

I am a bit chicken this year and holding back even with the protection ....

May 2nd is my normal magic date for placing out with protection .

I have paused on Stupice for awhile as the variety I was getting was not the same ones as before etc.

I trialed the Yablonka rossi and has a nice quick growth inside ...but a bit more tender than

stupice /Kimberly /

I have had great luck with Matina ....but again not as quite an early start as the others ..

I had one year in a raised bed a bloody butcher was miraculous production .

I guess we all have to start with some early /cool ...before the "Super Fantastic " hybrids kick in ..lol
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #60
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
I have still yet to try Stupice! I'm a Bloody Butcher fan and from what I've read they are very similar but I'm going to have to break down and compare one day.

From reading here on T-ville, it seems there is about 4 different versions of Stupice as well so idk. I'll probably just order from Tatiana...

Al
You may want to consider "Stupické polní rané" from Tatiana, rather than Stupice. Her Stupické polní rané are from CZ seed (Seva) provided by Vladimir.

Stupické polní rané:
Stupice:

If you decide you would prefer `Stupice' then I can send you what I have left from a Tatiana order from a couple of years ago.

rg
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★