Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #46
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
After about three weeks i finally got one out of 11 purple cross seed to germinate. It looks good and is growing in my green house. Hope to plant it out into my garden in two or three weeks.
Glad to hear it. Hope you get something real good.

It turns out, that I actually had 16 seeds in my little test package, not 14 as I first thought. As of today, 1 week later, 11 have germinated.

Today, I'm starting all my seeds indoors. About 1000 seeds. 60 of them will be Purple Cross. Let you know in a couple weeks how many popped.

Last edited by marc_groleau; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:29 AM.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

That first group did not germinate for me.

I will start the remaining seeds with my second sowing in May. I am leaving for vacation in three weeks and don’t want to be waiting for germination or pot up while I’m gone. I’m going to babysit this next group. If they take extra time to germinate, I’d like to be here to nurse them through it.

Last edited by JosephineRose; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:50 AM.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

My trip was rescheduled to late May due to business issues, so I ended up starting the remaining three seeds via paper towel method last night. I will keep you posted.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
My trip was rescheduled to late May due to business issues, so I ended up starting the remaining three seeds via paper towel method last night. I will keep you posted.
Best of luck with it.
Two days ago, I planted 60 F3 seeds and 24 of last year's F2 seeds just for the fun of it and because I had some open cells that needed filling.
As of today, 13 of the 16 seeds in the test batch have sprouted. Hope the real batch fares as well.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
killab
Tomatovillian™

started 6...nothing so far,but still early

will keep you updated!
killab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #51
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Got roughly 40 seedlings out of the 60 seeds I planted. Not really good germination rate. I also plant 30 of last season's F2 that produced the fruit in the photo on the first post. Almost every one of those produced a seedling. So there is definitely something about this batch of F3 seeds that caused lower than average germination rates. But I at least I have several seedlings. I can only fit a few in my own garden. I have friends and family that will grow some. So hoping for the best. Good luck to those who are trying these out. Sorry for poor germination. I can't explain it.

Last edited by marc_groleau; 4 Days Ago at 01:22 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago   #52
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

So far, my remaining seeds have not germinated either. I am just going to leave them in the mini greenhouse and hope they are just slow.