Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: 7B
Posts: 280
Default Opalka - ?

1st year with Opalka's. Riddle me this.

I feel like the leaves are the Cot. leaves but then again, I was not really looking and checking to see if they fell off. Just transplanted and the lower leaves right below the grow tip are huge. Anyhow, I've got the growing tip and 2 sets of Leaves below it. These leaves are really long - about 4 inches. I don't think they are true leaves ? Is this normal with Opalka

Last edited by mobiledynamics; April 4, 2018 at 01:44 PM.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™
 
Koala Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 456
Default

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the leaves in question?
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #3
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™
 
pmcgrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,628
Default

Olpalka has longer "whispy" leaves.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #4
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: 7B
Posts: 280
Default

really bad analogy, but kinda like a long oak tree leaf ?

Last edited by mobiledynamics; April 4, 2018 at 02:09 PM.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #5
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™
 
pmcgrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
really bad analogy, but kinda like a long oak tree leaf ?
Sorry I spelled it wrong... wispy leaves. There are threads about Carolyn ( she is the person that introduced Opalka I believe) discussing wispy Opalka leaves. Do a search here or on Google.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #6
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Sorry I spelled it wrong... wispy leaves. There are threads about Carolyn ( she is the person that introduced Opalka I believe) discussing wispy Opalka leaves. Do a search here or on Google.
Yes, I am the one who introduced Opalka and of course have grown it many times,for seed offers, SSE listings, etc.

Here is Tania's page for it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Opalka

And I just checked the 2018 SSE Annual Yearbook and there were I think,short term memory here ,I think 8 folks offering it.

And I have Carl Swidorski, a fellow faculty member at the time, for giving me the seeds,his wife was an Opalka,so that's where the name came from.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #7
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: OH5a
Posts: 453
Default

Pretty much all oxheart tomatoes have wispy leaves, some more than others.

Last edited by maxjohnson; April 4, 2018 at 09:27 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #8
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™
 
pmcgrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
Pretty much all oxheart tomatoes have wispy leaves, far as I've seen.
Not really, some are wispy'er than others. Brad's Atomic Grape comes to mind... Silvery Fir Tree...
I've grown hearts that aren't wispy at all.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #9
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: 7B
Posts: 280
Default

I’ll have to figure out pics but the leaves always look weak- wilty on my opals.All other plants under same light /soil medium/ environment look strong.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #10
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
I’ll have to figure out pics but the leaves always look weak- wilty on my opals.All other plants under same light /soil medium/ environment look strong.
Maybe time to get some new seeds from a trusted source?

And/or compare it with

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/H...b=General_Info

And/or compare it with,oops, I forgot the name right now ,if and but I remember it I'll get back to you. I found it at Charlies farm, a whole long row of them,outstanding production, fruits hanging in clusters of 2-3.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #11
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: 7B
Posts: 280
Default

Riddle me this. Aside from getting seeds that are the correct seed, for me seeds either germinate or not.

Are you saying that a seed batch can be ~unhealthy~.....
When I posted this post, I actually started germinating a couple more just to see if there would be a A/B difference.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #12
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Maybe time to get some new seeds from a trusted source?

And/or compare it with

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/H...b=General_Info

And/or compare it with,oops, I forgot the name right now ,if and but I remember it I'll get back to you. I found it at Charlies farm, a whole long row of them,outstanding production, fruits hanging in clusters of 2-3.

Carolyn
Well that didn't take me long. Here's the one I was thinking of

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/S...ki_Polish_Plum

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #13
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
Riddle me this. Aside from getting seeds that are the correct seed, for me seeds either germinate or not.

Are you saying that a seed batch can be ~unhealthy~.....
When I posted this post, I actually started germinating a couple more just to see if there would be a A/B difference.
We posted at about the same time so I didn't see this post of yours.

Where was the original source of your seeds? Commercial, trade, seed offer, etc.

How old are those seeds now?

And I'm speaking to your comment above where you say that seeds either germinate for you,or NOT. I don't think I can remember a time when seeds sown do that, even seeds up to maybe 10 to 12 years old.

We'll solve this somehow and more info from you will help..

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #14
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: 7B
Posts: 280
Default

I got the seeds from super seeds // pinetree garden seeds in late winter of this year (Early March). I don't have the envelope in front of my, but I'm pretty sure it was ~stamped~ for 2018 selling season. Anyhow, what prompted this original post was that the bottom leaves were super long and a bit wilty. When I say long, I mean it was reaching the other end of the adjacent cell whereas all others were still compact and bushy.

Fast forward to today, where they have been in solo cups for a week. All other plants look nice strong and upright. The opalka's - lower leaves are still long and wilty. The 2 in the middle still are curling/small. And the outer leafs are the lower leaves are a show a minute curl to them.

I can see how maybe one plant may be a fluke but all of the Olpaka's look like this. Hence I was not sure if they look like this during seedling/young growing phase . This is a 1st with Olpaka so I'm not sure what is normal or not..
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #15
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
I got the seeds from super seeds // pinetree garden seeds in late winter of this year (Early March). I don't have the envelope in front of my, but I'm pretty sure it was ~stamped~ for 2018 selling season. Anyhow, what prompted this original post was that the bottom leaves were super long and a bit wilty. When I say long, I mean it was reaching the other end of the adjacent cell whereas all others were still compact and bushy.

Fast forward to today, where they have been in solo cups for a week. All other plants look nice strong and upright. The opalka's - lower leaves are still long and wilty. The 2 in the middle still are curling/small. And the outer leafs are the lower leaves are a show a minute curl to them.

I can see how maybe one plant may be a fluke but all of the Olpaka's look like this. Hence I was not sure if they look like this during seedling/young growing phase . This is a 1st with Olpaka so I'm not sure what is normal or not..
Is Pinetree still listing it as Olpaka and I ask since the original owner got it from me originally as I recall, but his relatives are now running the place,he retired and it's a much better catalog now.

The father would get into fights with anyone who doubted what he wrote, and there were many of us who did with him.

I can't remember if I was sent their catalog for 2018,so please share with me the blurb that was written about,I hope, Opalka,NOT Olapka.

There were several carryover errors that were made and I kept meaning to contact the new owners and get them corrected,but it wasn't high on my to do list,so it didn't get done.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★