Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 11, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tomato Plant Info

I started seeds for a mixture of Red Oxheart and Red Brandywine hoping to get some of both to grow and produce.

When starting the seeds, they came up within a two days. While still in their cells - they looked the same until they produced their real leaves. Two are potato leaf, the other ten are RL.

I potted them up to solo cups and kept them together in part shade with some full sun. That's when they started looking different. Seven of them, including the two potato leaf plant are growing slower than the other five plants.

Four days ago, I planted them out in our onion bed. (Background in the pictures) The five that were already taller are growing even faster now they are in ground. The other seven look better than they did in the solo cups, but are not keeping up in growth rate.

I looked up Red Brandywine at: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Red_Brandywine It would make sense that the taller faster growing tomatoes would be Red Brandywine.

Then I looked up: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Red_oxheart 3-4' bushy plants. But that doesn't explain the two PLs.

I haven't grown either, so I am unfamiliar with their growth rates.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Forgot the Pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0061.JPG (98.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0060.JPG (94.2 KB, 80 views)
Old June 12, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think growth rates are the problem, the seeds are since both Red Oxheart and Red Brandywine are RL.

I don't know where you got your seeds from, but it's the seeds you used that are not correct. You could try growing some of the RL ones to see what you get. If the Red Oxheart one the foliage would be wispy droopy leaves that are narrow while RB would have normal looking RL foliage.

Carolyn
Old June 12, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Well, it looks like I'm growing 12 "Who Knows" plants because they are all looking strong and happy to see the sun. None have wispy or droopy leaves. They are all very healthy looking plants.

I have them planted in a bed that gets full sun until 3pm. After 3, they are in dappled shade from our oak trees. That should help a lot this summer because they will be shaded at the right time of day here in sweltering summer heat.
Old June 12, 2015   #5
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with them Salt.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote