Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 11, 2015   #1
charline
Tomatovillian™

Default cherry with few seeds

is there any cherry variety with few seeds inside? most of the cherries have lots of seeds but I would like to grow one with few seeds for my aunt.
who can help me?
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #2
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Bonjour charline

The Oregon State people who go after parthenocarpy (seedless), because their short growing season made that a hot topic, have a yellow tomato, Gold Nugget that starts out setting cool with few seeds, but as it keeps producing, gets is more seedy.

The low seed, meaty Italian red tomato that is a quite large "Cherry", Principe Borghese is another idea, because people say it tastes good too.

Five Star Grape is a hybrid being sold in the US that touts low seed and nice flavor and had very few seeds compared to its peers in a Pennsylvania trial in 2011, if grapes are OK.

If you want to work hard for your aunt, you can pick your favorite variety and emasculate the flowers and then spray with natural hormones called cytokinins to get seedless tomatoes, which is available at many garden stores called blossom set spray. It is extra work and I don't know if it is "Organic gardening" approved, but if it isn't that is only politics because the plants produce it anyway. It is also found in coconut milk and kelp extracts which can be made into sprays.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
is there any cherry variety with few seeds inside? most of the cherries have lots of seeds but I would like to grow one with few seeds for my aunt.
who can help me?
Charline, I don't know if this is the problem that your Aunt has, but it used to be thought that certain people with intestinal problems should not eat anything with small seeds such as strawberries, tomatoes and similar, but that has not been shown to be true as any good gastroenterologist who is up to date should know.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old January 11, 2015   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Cherry Roma has so very few seeds, and very good flavor.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

There's the Jacques Pepin/Julia Child method of taking a large meaty beefsteak or heart, slicing it into small cubes, selecting the seedless ones, wrapping the cubes in tightly twisted cling wrap, opening up, and viola! seedless skinless cherries.

(other than that, hit up Carolyn for Selbo's Red Ribbed)

Last edited by Tormato; January 14, 2015 at 12:58 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #6
charline
Tomatovillian™

charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Gary... That sounds messy

Some of the larger meatier cherries I have grown are Bosque blue, super snow white and brandywine cherry.

Fruit for fruit, I am not sure if they actually have less seeds or they just seem like it because there is more flesh. Perhaps Mr. Tormato could count them and find out
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Gary... That sounds messy

Some of the larger meatier cherries I have grown are Bosque blue, super snow white and brandywine cherry.

Fruit for fruit, I am not sure if they actually have less seeds or they just seem like it because there is more flesh. Perhaps Mr. Tormato could count them and find out
Karen
It worked fine on TV, but maybe they edited out any mess.

I don't know what I'm supposed to count, but you'll be counting the Gs in the experimental PL heart going your way.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It worked fine on TV, but maybe they edited out any mess.

I don't know what I'm supposed to count, but you'll be counting the Gs in the experimental PL heart going your way.
Oooh you do know I cannot resist a new heart tomato! I will count the seeds myself
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote