Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old July 29, 2006   #1
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Hooray for homemade pesto!

DH was really nice and volunteered to make pesto tonight from the basil in the backyard. However, shortly thereafter, he realized we didn't have any garlic, so didn't think he could make it. I decided to try digging up a couple of the garlics that I planted in the fall. Wasn't sure if we'd have any, since I don't think they got enough sun. The heads were a little bit on the small side, but we had enough for pesto, and it was really tasty. For some reason, I got a huge kick out of having my own garlic. I think because the other herbs have been out for a few years, but this was my first go at garlic. I was so proud of pesto with my own garlic and my own basil! Yum! I don't think I'm up to the pinenuts though... :wink:
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2006   #2
Althea
Tomatovillian™

Yummmm, fresh pesto with your own basil and garlic! How hard would it be for you to grow pine nuts? I've thought about it but they are not hardy here.

Although I've been growing garlic for years around the roses to help deter unwanted insects, I've never dug any to use. I'll be planting a bunch this fall and will try some next summer. Garlic is a perennial here and has some nice blossoms if you don't disturb it.
Old July 30, 2006   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Garlic is a pretty plant if you plant hardneck which has the bulbils on top.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2006   #4
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

I've definitely been inspired to try more garlic. I got softneck this year from John Scheepers, but think I'll branch out next year and try a couple of kinds. I may try elephant garlic as well (which I just learned is in fact not garlic at all, but a member of the leek family.) It was just such a thrill to be able to go, "No, we're not out, hold on a minute," and come in with fresh bulbs! Hopefully will find somewhere that sells some sort of assortment/variety pack, since I don't necessarily want to buy large quantities of several kinds in my little space.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote