Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old November 25, 2015   #1
Csross
Tomatovillian™

Default Choosing strawberry varieties for Maryland

We just moved to Maryland and bought a house near Bel Air, in Harford County. One side of the house has a neglected flower bed that I cleaned out and added compost to. I want to plant everbearing strawberries there in the spring, and I'm looking for suggestions of varieties and sources. I basically want a ground-cover, so I don't have to worry about too much weeding, and would love a steady supply of fresh strawberries! The bed is about 3" deep by 25" long.

I have a 50% off code for Gurney's, and they have several types of everbearing - Mara des Bois, Eversweet, Fort Laramie, and Ozark Beauty. Does anyone have any comments about these in the Mid-Atlantic region, or strong recommendations of others I should try to find?

Thanks very much!
-Chris
Csross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chris -

Gurneys coupons are a dime a dozen and they get you in shipping. Shop around a little at some of the specialty online berry sources. . Nourse and many others. Having said that I still buy from them and Burpee too.

I grow Fort Laramie because of my cold harsh conditions. I think you have many other choices so I would skip this one, smaller ordinary berries.

Hopefully someone in your zone will chime in.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Mara des Bois, is an excellent everbearing type. A must grow if you ask me! Summer bearing are better in that the berries are bigger, I'm still trying to find good ones for my area too. I did have a wonderful year for strawberries this year. I harvested more than any other year. maybe 20 pounds or more.
I like growing "White D" Pineberries. man these are awesome. I had a good harvest! Here are some I saved and froze.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #4
walkertrex
Tomatovillian™

I grew Ozark and Evie in the past. Both had great flavor but didn't seem to enjoy being in containers. This year I swapped them out for Seascape and am glad I did. The taste was great and they seem content in their containers. I got a nice surprise yesterday and found one ripening. I am loving these mild temps here in SE PA. Winter can wait a little longer
walkertrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #5
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I buy all my strawberry plants from Nourse farms South Deerfield, MA
Good prices, great plants, many varieties!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #6
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I ordered Cavendish and Mara des Bois from Course Farms. They were very helpful in choosing varieties that would be suitable for my area. Also, the plants arrived in very good condition and included very specific instructions for planting and maintaining the crop. I felt they really knew their products and that if something was wrong with my order, their customer service would be very good. I would not hesitate to order from them again!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #7
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Another fantastic place is Indiana Berry.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #8
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

I grow earliglo and allstar strawberries in Maryland and they do fine for me. (june bearing) from Stark bros.

Good Luck!

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote