Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old September 20, 2013   #1
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Default Misgivings About How a Weed Killer Affects the Soil

Interesting read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/bu...soil.html?_r=0
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Very real concern and has been from day one. But we all soldier on.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #3
coastal bend
Tomatovillian™

I can give you an observation of what I have seen over the last 40 years of being a crop consultant. The farmers have been using roundup on cotton about the last 15 years. They rotate from cotton to grain every year. The yields in our area have increased . Cotton yielded from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. Now a 1.8 to 2.5. This is dry land so rain makes a difference on yield . I have no skin in the game. I just consult on insect control . The grain has good yields also. The farmers have had an increase in yields on both crops. Since the roundup has been used. Take in to consideration that the farmers have better quality seed and improved varieties of cotton and grain sorghum . I fill certain if the farmers were having less yields they would have changed there farming practices . I haven't heard of any complaints from the farmers .
coastal bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

There were no complaints from users of DDT. In my ignorance I thought is was marvellous. Round-up just may be in the same category.

I recently drove across Saskatchewan along the highway just above the US border. Few birds, few flowers alongside the road just like silent Spring. Beautiful crops with appearance of a green living room rug. When a youngster in Saskatchewan at one time one couldn't see the grain for the weeds. Much care and cultivation was required to suppress weeds. Now control is all chemical. My gut feeling is that this is a mistake.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #5
coastal bend
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, I agree with you. I was just referring to the yields of the crops. Now wildlife is another subject. I have thought about the same thing when I see the farmers spraying roundup on there crops. I think it is a double edge sword,more people to feed and cloth and the effect on wildlife.I think the answer will show up down the road. Just like DDT. It will probably will not turn out like we hope.
coastal bend is offline   Reply With Quote