Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old September 11, 2014   #46
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well you can mow it and nothing can penetrate it once it gets a good start.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2014   #47
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I found a guy that is doing something extremely similar to what I am doing. He calls his the Balkan Ecology Project. Looks like he just started this last year? Here is a link to his results:

Balkan Ecology Project: Productive Polycultures?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #48
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

OK This will be probably the last post for The Red Baron Project Year Two. Today's discussion will address all 10 principles of the Red Baron Project, and as such it is a perfect end of the year resource material.
Principle 1: No till and/or minimal till with mulches used for weed control
Principle 2: Minimal external inputs
Principle 3: Living mulches between rows to maintain biodiversity
Principle 4: Companion planting
Principle 6: The ability to integrate carefully controlled modern animal husbandry (optional)
Principle 5: Capability to be mechanized for large scale or low labor for smaller scale
Principle 7: As organic as possible, while maintaining flexibility to allow non-organic growers to use the methods
Principle 8: Portable and flexible enough to be used on a wide variety of crops in many areas of the world
Principle 9: Sustainable ie. beneficial to the ecology and wildlife
Principle 10: Profitable

Gabe hits every single topic above in one of the best 1 hour talks I have seen yet. And yes, he is the only farmer I have met yet that has tried the concept of simply unrolling a large round bale of hay mulch to be able to scale up to commercial size mulch and crop production. He did it with potatoes, I do it with many things, but mostly tomatoes. However, in several talks with Gabe I have gotten a huge wealth of hands on experiential knowledge. Invaluable! Thanks Gabe! I keep trying to talk him into joining the project! Not yet but who knows? I may get him to abandon annual cover crops and integrate perennials in a full permaculture system yet!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; December 26, 2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old February 6, 2015   #49
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Year three can be found here

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison