Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 16, 2018   #1
PlainJane

Default Edibles/Pollinators Container Planting

Here are some combos I’ve tried out in my big galvanized troughs.
Would love to see what you all have tried!
Old December 16, 2018   #2
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Oh, so beautiful and nice to see at this time of year. The lettuce looks great mixed in with the flowers.
I am glad of a rest though now that all my plants have had a hard frost and are cut back for the winter, asleep in the garage.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018   #3
PlainJane

Thank you ... now that the heat is past lettuce and other cool weather crops are taking off.
Old December 16, 2018   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Can't give any pictures this time of year, but I've got a wild pale pink-white monarda growing in the shadiest part of my vegetable garden. It doesn't mind a lot of shade, and bees love it.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018   #5
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Can't give any pictures this time of year, but I've got a wild pale pink-white monarda growing in the shadiest part of my vegetable garden. It doesn't mind a lot of shade, and bees love it.
My pics are not all from this year ... I was just curious what others are doing as far as combinations of edibles/ornamentals. I haven’t tried monarda in Florida. I just assumed it wouldn’t be happy in that much heat.
Old December 16, 2018   #6
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Default MMMM Spoiler Alert!

In the MMMM, there is "Monarda, pink/purple", and "Monarda, light white/pink" Those are the toughest ones from my yard and each can grow in a substantial amount of shade. (I'm guessing they should be in some shade in FL.)
Old December 16, 2018   #7
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
In the MMMM, there is "Monarda, pink/purple", and "Monarda, light white/pink" Those are the toughest ones from my yard and each can grow in a substantial amount of shade. (I'm guessing they should be in some shade in FL.)
I will try a few next year and see how they handle the heat.
Old December 16, 2018   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Nan, do you find the monarda you grow gets powdery mildew in the shade? Even the new hybrids get it here. It is very humid and stays that way all night, something I didn't expect when I moved to the great plains. Monarda seems a sure bet for pm, and lately peony too.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I had to think about this for a minute. I didn't think lettuce would do very well in the heat here, just seed out when the flowers would start to come into bloom. My lettuce trough was insanely expensive from home depot, about $250, but its out front where veggies are prohibited by neighborhood covenants. Its not pulling it's weight for being ornamental. I'll be watching for ideas for next summer.

- Lisa
Old December 16, 2018   #10
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

The pink/purple stuff does get PM but the white/pink thrives in shade. I don't know if the white/pink ever gets PM. If it gets PM at all, it holds off till late in the season.
Old December 16, 2018   #11
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Good to know. I've never even seen white monarda/ didn't know about it. Did you start from seed?

- Lisa
Old December 17, 2018   #12
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I got it from a wild natural area near our house. I brought one home that had been run over by some construction machinery. It lived, rooted everywhere it touched the ground, and seeded into a tidy little area. It's perennial; dies back in winter here.
Old December 17, 2018   #13
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I had to think about this for a minute. I didn't think lettuce would do very well in the heat here, just seed out when the flowers would start to come into bloom. My lettuce trough was insanely expensive from home depot, about $250, but its out front where veggies are prohibited by neighborhood covenants. Its not pulling it's weight for being ornamental. I'll be watching for ideas for next summer.

- Lisa
Lisa, do you by chance have a picture of your lettuce trough?
Old December 17, 2018   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I will take one in the daylight, Plain Jane. If you asked me last week, it would have been buried under 5 inches of snow. We are having a January thaw this week. Yay!!!

- Lisa

It may be this one :

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/modula...d/8586930.html

The photo shows two units.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; December 17, 2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added link
Old December 17, 2018   #15
PlainJane

Wow, that’s crazy!
- Joyce