Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 14, 2008   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Ideal size container for Indets

Hi all, I know it's been bantered around here a good bit in different threads, but just curious what the general opinions are concerning the ideal size container for larger or indet types? I think 15 gallon is plenty, but and tempted with the 25 gallon because of the more stable temps and moisture.

I haven't grown in nursery containers in a while and am thinking about trying some this year. Just curious what the rest of you are planning for 2008 and any troubles you've had with contianer size, etc.

Thanks!

Don
Old January 15, 2008   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Lately, I've been basing the size of the container on the size and amount of expected production of the variety. So if its a cherry or smaller it gets a 'smaller' container....if a variety that produces huge beefsteaks, I tend to use a much larger container.

Last year I stopped counting when I reached in excess of 120 to 130 containers/pots, so you could say I'm getting to know which works best in my locale for the varieties I grow. And which haven't worked well in containers, so far. Most of those have been what I'd classify as forgettable spitters - usually hybrids - but definitely not worth mentioning or repeating in my garden.

I'm using anywhere from 15L and up. I have some that are more than a 200L in size....and I've been known to put more than one plant of the same variety in those.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I would like to add that it would be best if you painted them white if you live in the south to help keep the sun from cooking the BLACK containers.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #4
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth. I found a site that has burlap bags with drawstrings to close the tops. I plan to put the containers in these. This color should help knock back some of the sun's heat and add at least a bit of insulating value. After experiments in the past I wouldn't think of using a black container in our hot summers here. (They also make some foam insulation sheets you can wrap the containers in.)Ideally, I'd like to have them in full sun in the early season, and move them to some shade as things heat up.

What size are you using? I'm very tempted to use the 25 gallon size.

Don
(Thanks for the links earlier.)
Old January 15, 2008   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I used to grow several of my plants in containers, and successfully used a lot of 12-15 gallon pots. Also had some 25 gallon containers that worked well. IMO, 25 gal size isn't really necessary for good results, also takes more mix to fill. I guess it depends on how many containers you're doing and how much work and $$ you're willing to put into filling all of them.

Tipping is a concern during storms or high winds, especially when the plants get loaded with fruit and become top heavy. Larger/heavier containers can help with that a little.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Don I don't use containers anymore and the largest I have used is 5 gallons.
These were white (non used brand new) toxic waste disposal buckets I could get at work.
They had them by the thousands at a chemical plant I worked at.
They were small but they worked for DET tomatoes and peppers.

They should have been bigger but thats all I had to work with.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #7
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing in 20 inch containers from menards for 2 year and have had good success. Last year I have plants that grew up to the top railings of the deck on the second level.
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #8
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I forgot about the tipping problem, since I haven't used plastic containers in a while. I have no trouble with the din when using whiskey barrels or the smaller containers of cedar, but would have to stake the smaller plastic containers in some way.

Thanks for the reminder Suze. And if you and Worth have used sizes 5 and up I suppose the 15 would be enough.

Thanks!

Don
Old January 15, 2008   #9
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobig_or_Gohome_toms View Post
I have been growing in 20 inch containers from menards for 2 year and have had good success. Last year I have plants that grew up to the top railings of the deck on the second level.
Welcome to TVille.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #10
creister
Tomatovillian™

I grew two plants in the HEB's made from 18 gallon tote boxes. I know of others on this site that do the same with usually good results wether ind. or det. I have also used 5 gallon buckets with 1.25 inch holes in the bottom. Plants like these and the roots grow into the soil. Almost like a one unit raised bed. I have had good luck with the buckets on dwarf and det. varieties. This year I am going to try some semi-det. and Azoychka, Kimberly, Cherokee Purple,
Stupice, Matina, and New Big Dwarf (have already grown it successfully in buckets) and see what happens. I know Spudleafwillie who posts hear uses 5 gallon pots quite a bit to grow Indet. if I remeber right.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #11
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarch View Post
Welcome to TVille.

dcarch

Thanks, Still poking around but like what I see.

Also good point on the staking, Last year I had the largest plants ever probably up to 14 feet and had to stake a couple that were out on there own. I have limited space but full sun and have been growing 2 to 3 around each pillar of my deck and that provides very good support.
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™

To offset the tipping possible tipping problem in the past, I've made sure that there is a substantial amount of broken crockery/terra cotta or gravel in the bottom of the container. The larger containers that are made of plastic, get far more than ones made of wood or concrete.

If I have 3 or more pots/containers in which I have growing the same variety of tomato, I form a "teepee" support system connecting all of the pots/containers. This adds to the structural support especially for the heavier producers and give more places on which to tie off the vines. Sometimes the "teepee" resembles a circular layout plan. But if I'm growing many of the same variety, I'll set up 2 rows with supports going " / " towards "\" with a crossbar lashed across all at the top for support/stability and with other horizontal supports or twine at 18"/46cm increments.

If I get to stay put this year, I've 2 newer plastic containers that hold about 250L (approx 75US Gal). These are about 1m/39" dia. Last year I had 3 plants in each of them and it worked like a charm. They had the depth so that they didn't dry out that quickly or tip over due to weight of their sheer mass. They were a bit of a B to shift, and after trying to do that with the first one, I figured out exactly where I wanted the second one before I filled it. LOL

However we may be moving...Dad wants to downsize...so if that's the case, I won't be able to turn the back patio into a veritable jungle with all those plants. Somebody just might want to see the yard and pool. Sheeeeesh....lol. I may sneak in a few smaller containers but not as many for sure.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote