Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old February 9, 2011   #1
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default TPS seed source- New World Crops

Tom Wagner has a new online catalog with some of his amazing TPS seeds, 1# potatoes sampler, 8# potato sampler and new tomatoes from his breeding efforts. It has been announced in the seed source/general discussion area but here it is again http://newworldcrops.com/wp/

Check the site often since there is more and more seeds added to the TPS offerings.
Old February 10, 2011   #2
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

How much seeds per packet?

Thank you.
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2011   #3
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiorix View Post
Thank you.
I'd guess about 50 based on the price and the fact (?), that TPS have lower germination than tomato seeds, but I'll only be able to tell next week after the seeds that I ordered arrive.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2011   #4
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

I also ordered some TPS from Tom so I will report this as well.

He and his webmaster says that the site will be more fully developed, as time permits.

Still wonderful to see it up and running though.

Walter
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2011   #5
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiorix View Post

Thank you.
Tom posted a message in another forum that says 30 to 50 seeds per packet.
Old February 11, 2011   #6
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the heads up to the less observant forum wanderers.
I don't know how long it would have taken me to stumble upon it. This made my day.
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2011   #7
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I ordered some too. It was a painful decision to narrow the list to 6

Suytu Vilquina
Yungay
Huagalina
Skagit Beets
Squat Orange
La Pan

And another 1lb Potato sampler (tubers) for a different weather than mine.

Lots of experimenting and learning this year.
Old February 15, 2011   #8
renny1
Tomatovillian™

Will these seeds grow true to the descriptions or do they segregate out?
renny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2011   #9
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
TPS, true potato seed, is truly a lot of fun simply because no two seeds are exactly alike. The reshuffling the deck so to speak.

Potatoes are to most people a single variety...always the same...year after year...but that is because they are clonal reproductions. The overwhelming majority of potato varieties are a result of controlled crosses between different varieties or breeding lines. Potatoes are almost impossible to find that have been produced by self pollination for more than one generation. I have potato varieties that are a result of controlled self pollination for upwards of 7 generations and the progeny is quite uniform. But the lack of hybrid vigor and too many homozygous pairing of genes makes for a potato that is full of....well...bad genes.

Some very good varieties are out there that are a result of repeated back-crosses. CANSO is a result of crossing a Solanum demissum accession with Earlaine and then crossing to Katahdin five times.
(dms x EARLAINE) x KATAHDIN x KATAHDIN x KATAHDIN x KATAHDIN x KATAHDIN,

But since Katahdin is a hybrid of Busola, Rural New Yorker No. 2, White Rose and Sutton's Flourball...crossing back to Katahdin is still going to be crossing back to a hybrid...thus recombining those four grandparents.

Monona is one of my favorites for producing good white potatoes. If I save the seed (TPS) of it...I get 100% white tubers in the progeny. They will vary a bit for yield, specific gravity, shapes, eye depth, and maturity.

Monona is a cross between a selfed Katahdin and a selfed Chippewa. And Chippewa is a full sister although reciprocally, (mothers and fathers switched). But Monona is still a result of a hybrid of selfed sisters.

Breeding work with the wild cultivated species is fun because the diploid species such as S. phureja has only 24 chromosomes. Our potatoes that we buy in the store are almost always tetraploids..48 chromosomes....are like fraternal twins living in the same body. Diploids have to be outcrossed to a neighboring diploid of a different clone. Tetraploids can be crossed back to themselves (selfed) but they still retain some of the ingrained necessity of outcrossing to prevent inbreeding.

The majority of the potato seeds-TPS that I am offering in my website at
http://newworldcrops.com/wp/shop/potato-seeds/ are the result of selfing or potential outcrossing.

For example Skagit Beets...it is a red skinned, red fleshed clone that usually selfs itself. The overwhelming majority of the seedlings from TPS will be red, red to pink fleshed with a few other variations. Even if some of the seed within my packets are hybridized, the red flesh comes through quite often. Therefore one can expect to find red flesh as the primary thing to look for.

Yungay is one of those I supply TPS as a way to resurrect seedling potato hills that are a recombination of the commercial type with Peruvian ancestry. The flavors, colors, etc., will be reshuffled obviously and some clones will fit your particular climate and soils.

If you want more of the Peruvian types than what Yungay can provide, I have Huagalina, a grandparent of Yungay. The recombinations should be totaly Peruvian in the progeny and those seedlings will represent parental backgrounds that may have been lost otherwise.

La Pan is a curious sort. It is a cross between La Ratte...a yellow fingerling...and Gold Pan...a cross of my Black Hills Gold and a Neo-tuberosum breeding line. The TPS will segregate for fingerlings and more conventional rounds/ovals. The template may be a narrow selection factor if you are looking for only one kind of potato..say a yellow fingerling with enhanced flavor and a floury texture. That type would be a one out of 64 chance of getting that. But if you like a variety of shapes, colors and flavors...then it is a win-win. Another factor that I cannot predict well is how many of the La Pan berries received pollen from a neighboring potato variety...therefore you may get reds, blues, bicolors, russets, etc., showing up also.

So much of the limited commercial trade in TPS is to foster very uniform kinds of potatoes; namely...boring white potatoes. What I am trying to do is just the opposite...help create even more diversity.

My listing this Winter of TPS is with those that I have a fair amount of seed. If I listed all of my hybrid seed it would number into the thousands plus. My hybrid seed is of smaller counts and I did not think that my catalog should be promoting seed packets of 8 seed whereas the OP lines can be mailed out with 50 seeds +-.

Just got off the phone with a potato breeder in the upper Midwest who is going to look into his inventory and send me some experimental lines that are berry makers. I will look at these for further crossing and perhaps for bulk TPS for next year.

So back to the question...
Quote:
Yes and Yes!

Tom Wagner

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2011   #10
renny1
Tomatovillian™

Thank You for the great response.
I have your Yungay seed and was wondering what the likelihood of getting tubers that you have never seen before.

Tom Wagner wrote: "If you want more of the Peruvian types than what Yungay can provide, I have Huagalina, a grandparent of Yungay. The recombinations should be totaly Peruvian in the progeny and those seedlings will represent parental backgrounds that may have been lost otherwise."

In your use of the word "recombinations" are you saying to get the "totally Peruvian progeny" you must cross
Yungay X Huagalina? or planting TPS from Huagalina and Yungay will provide the expected progeny?
Old February 15, 2011   #11
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I am not an expert I will leave that to Tom...but I think that by planting Huagalina TPS since it is a grandparent of Yungay some of the genes are older and you will get potato segregations more peruvian that segregations from Yungay TPS since the later has modern genes in the makeup.

Old February 16, 2011   #12
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Thanks Renny an Wendy,

I am always trying to find potatoes that I have never seen. Digging potatoes of thousands of clones is Easter Day, Christmas, Heaven...all rolled into a one.

I am featuring Yungay on my site because I think it is a place to start for beginners. It will throw a combination of American style potatoes ...probably less than 25% but the majority will be Yungay types with another 25% going back to the Huagalina, RENACIMIENTO (adg) JIRUCO (adg) x SUITO (adg) backgrounds. That is the case unless the seed has been crossed and a whole new can of worms will be available.

http://www.limaeasy.com/images/food/...ato_yungay.jpg This picture does not do it justice
http://whyfiles.org/128potato_blight/images/field_1.jpg the Yungay plants are beautiful but it needs late blight resistance, therefore I am breeding the variety for that….the TPS is mostly selfed of the Yungay I am offering but there is a lot of outcrossing to other varieties that have blight resistance…so do not despair. Most of the blight that hits me here in Washington is late in the season, so I don’t worry so much about blight.
Papa Yungay
Quote:
Papa Yungay are very similar to Papa Amarilla (yellow potato), but don't go off so quickly. Grown in the Peruvian Andes, they can be stored for an extended period of time without losing its flavor. Additionally Papas Yungay have varied uses in the Peruvian kitchen.
Huagalina

Quote:
* They Known also as "Yellow north"; is sown in the saw of Cajamarca and The Liberty. * Plants of high postage, reddish flowers spaces, numerous and with regular production of fruits. * Tubers oval or oval round. * Superficial Eyes to semiprofundos. * Skin with reddish pigments and areas of irregular edge of yellowish color around the eyes. * Reddish Bud with yellowish knots. * Very good commercial and culinary quality.
Sorry for the translations.
In Spanish
· Conocida también como "Amarilla del norte"; se siembra en la sierra de Cajamarca y La Libertad.
· Plantas de porte alto, flores rojizo claras, numerosas y con producción regular de frutos.
· Tubérculos ovalados u oval redondeados.
· Ojos superficiales a semiprofundos.
· Piel con pigmentos rojizos y áreas de borde irregular de color amarillento alrededor de los ojos.
· Brotes rojizos con nudos amarillentos.
· Muy buena calidad culinaria y comercial.

This image does not show the yellowish flesh of Huagalina that well…….
http://www.capacperu.org/manual_tecn...es/38-01-b.jpg
the following is not Huagalina but looks more like fresh harvested tubers of about golf ball sized tubers….
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ko6j55aMei...400/patata.jpg

Quote:
Of the 3000 varieties of native potatoes cultivated in Peru, are barely 24 varieties that arrive at the markets of province, and a dozen to the market of File.
They are alone some as many native varieties the ones that have a significant presence in the urban markets; the yellow potatoes (Yellow Tumbay, Peruanita, Huagalina), that are served in many typical dishes of the Peruvian gastronomy, as the Limean cause, the potatoes huayros (red and purple) and the huamantanga. It is called them commonly “nativas commercial”.
You might say that I am trying to bring a little bit of Peru here with a sampling of those "nativas commercial" varieties and with the true seed...a larger sampling of Peru is available to you to play around with.

http://www.papasandinas.org/images/procesados/inka.jpg shows a picture of Lay’s potato chips that may have Huagalina in the mix of colored potatoes made into potato chips. Since I had worked for Frito-Lay as a potato buyer, fieldman, potato warehouse manager, and variety advisor…I sure would like to get started again on producing potatoes for chipping. The major factors that I have used in my breeding work are the same to get good cultivars for making potato chips; high gravity, low sugars, good taste, etc.

Anybody want to help me bring this kinda potato chip package to the USA? I could use my Peruvian type breeding lines, hybrids of those, or independently derived colorful lines. Only 58 years experience.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_V...20Potatoes.JPG shows a very likely presentation of what a bunch of true seed could produce…a variety of colors….and Yungay and Huagalina, depending on surrounding varieties could easily do what is in that picture.

Tom Wagner
I am a self-confessed potato nut, geek, gadfly, and plant mechanic. I tear plants down into tiny parts and put them back together again, albeit with parts from a model T and a Malibu thrown in.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #13
renny1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pics. It sure is nice to visit with people that love what they do and take the time to answer questions. Thanks again.
Old February 16, 2011   #14
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Tom your translator was a little off, the translator from Google is good for the most part. My own translation below on the few that were off ...

· Conocida también como "Amarilla del norte"; se siembra en la sierra de Cajamarca y La Libertad.

Also known as "Yellow from the North or Yellow North"; is grown in the highlands of Cajamarca and La Libertad

· Plantas de porte alto, flores rojizo claras, numerosas y con producción regular de frutos.

Tall plants, light redish flowers, numerous and with regular production of fruits

· Ojos superficiales a semiprofundos.
Superficial to semi-deep eyes
Old February 16, 2011   #15
flutterby
Tomatovillian™

Default Tom Wagner's new online catalog....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
Tom Wagner has a new online catalog with some of his amazing TPS seeds, 1# potatoes sampler, 8# potato sampler and new tomatoes from his breeding efforts. It has been announced in the seed source/general discussion area but here it is again http://newworldcrops.com/wp/

Check the site often since there is more and more seeds added to the TPS offerings.
Thanks so much for letting us all know.

Evelyn
flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote