Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old February 8, 2012   #1
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Default How far do potatoes really need to be from tomatoes?

I keep reading "as far as possible," lol. I'll be planting mine far away from the big bed where most tomatoes will go, but this puts them close(ish) to the house, and I'd kind of like to put the two cherry tomato plants somewhere near the house for easy picking. How far apart do they really have to be? And do they have to be as far from peppers and eggplants too?
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I don't have enough room to separate mine and have never had any problems. They are part of the same plant family and are subject to attack from the same bugs and diseases. Some recommend not growing plants in this family (tomato, pepper, potato, eggplant) in the same spot as any of the others for at least 3 years. I don't have that kind of room especially because I grow so many tomatoes, peppers and potatoes compared to everything else. For me this falls under the "don't sweat the small stuff" umbrella.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2012   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

The way I look at, how is planting a potato next to a tomato much different than planting a tomato next to a tomato?
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2012   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Last year, I had mine at least 23 inches apart and that seemed to be just fine. My Red Pontiac and Yukon Gold potatoes kept all the Colorado Potato Beetles concentrated on their foliage and off the tomatoes. That made spraying a bit easier.

I've never heard of separating them. Where did that come from? Did I miss something??

Dang, I'm always the last to know things!!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2012   #5
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Lol, fortyonenorth! Good point.

Thanks for the responses -- that's a relief!

Ted, I don't know, I've read it a bunch of places, but it's sure good to know that people are doing just fine with them closer together.
Old February 8, 2012   #6
janezee
Tomatovillian™

I think that all that fuss is regarding potatoes left to rot in the ground and keep late blight spores alive. If you don't have late blight like we do here, it's not an issue.
hth
j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2012   #7
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Janezee, interesting. We do apparently get late blight here sometimes, but I gather it's not as common as where you are. Will try to make sure we get all the potatoes up, in case that might help.
Old February 8, 2012   #8
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

All the nightshade family (tomato, peppers, eggplant, potato, tabacco) can be planted together but not in the same garden spot year after year because disease and nutrient depletion. If you have room to rotate then is a good idea to do. I read that late blight cab overwinter in the tubers if left in the ground and next year if you happen to plant again tomatoes or potatoes in the same spot then you could get your plants infected. I grow all those together but rotate each year.
Old February 11, 2012   #9
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Because I live in a area where late blight comes into the potato patch or tomato patch by early Fall, I try not to have them anywhere near each other.....seems the blight goes back and forth....compounding the blight sporation. But of course, I quite often plant side by side simply because I can then select for the resistance I am so happily getting in increasing numbers of varieties as they are developed.

:-)
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote