Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 25, 2015   #1
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

Default Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project Seeds

Is there a central location which identifies commercial sources of seeds for the releases from the Cross-Hemisphere Dwarf Project? Or who expects to offer them for 2016 and when will they be available?
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2015   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project Seeds

Here's the list from Craig's (NCtomatoman) website -- http://nctomatoman.weebly.com/dwarf-tomato-project.html

And here's Tania's page with Dwarf Project releases - http://tatianastomatobase.com/w/inde...=Dwarf+project
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2015   #3
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

I know what has been released. I'd love to see a single post where all of the vendors of the project seeds are shown together.
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Adriana, vendors are chosen for the initial release of the variety and the project sends that vendor seed to sell. After that, any vendors can list that new variety. Perhaps the best way to find out who is listing a particular variety is to go to Tatianna's Tomatobase. The is a special section which list all the released varieties. If you click on a paritcular one, there is a tab that will show you which vendors have listed it for sale.

Let me post this and I'll come back in a moment with a link to help you.

Here it is

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki..._Dwarf_Project
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; October 26, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #5
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaG View Post
I know what has been released. I'd love to see a single post where all of the vendors of the project seeds are shown together.
Guess we can make this post that list.

Victory Seeds has them as well. http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_dwarf.html

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Good answers, all and good question, Adriana. The problem is that once they are released - typically by a company, more recently by several - that is the end of our "control" of them and it then becomes up to the releasing company or companies to continue them - and perhaps for others to start carrying them as well. So far, Victory, Tatiana, Heritage Tomato Seeds, Sample Seed Shop - and increasingly perhaps, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange - seem to be the companies carrying the most, and Sandhill, Jeff Casey's company, Gleckler (when they were in business) and even Tomato Growers Supply carried at least one each. A few other companies have expressed interest in carrying them as well, but it is just early discussion stages.

I am writing an article on the project that will appear in The American Gardener next year - hopefully it will shine a brighter light on the project and varieties and stir up more interest.

They are really out in the court of public opinion (and profitability testing for the carrying companies). If people like them, they will be requested and hopefully remain available and even increased to other companies. If not, they will recede - and perhaps be available only through exchanging SSE members and those of us in the project who are fond of them and maintain them.
Old October 27, 2015   #7
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Good answers, all and good question, Adriana. The problem is that once they are released - typically by a company, more recently by several - that is the end of our "control" of them and it then becomes up to the releasing company or companies to continue them - and perhaps for others to start carrying them as well. So far, Victory, Tatiana, Heritage Tomato Seeds, Sample Seed Shop - and increasingly perhaps, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange - seem to be the companies carrying the most, and Sandhill, Jeff Casey's company, Gleckler (when they were in business) and even Tomato Growers Supply carried at least one each.
. This is screaming for a spreadsheet of varieties and growers!
Old October 27, 2015   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The different varieties were grown by literally hundreds of different volunteers who took the pledge about not sharing them. Selections were made based on traits and characteristics of the goal. When Craig and Patrinna agreed that the new variety was ready for release, then seed production was done and a vendor selected to introduce the new tomato to the world.

If it's a spreadsheet you're looking for, then I would suggest building one. You simply have to step thru the varieties listed in the link to tatianna's. The information is there. The only problem is that it will change each year as vendors add or drop a particular variety.

Take care.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
If it's a spreadsheet you're looking for, then I would suggest building one. You simply have to step thru the varieties listed in the link to tatianna's. The information is there. The only problem is that it will change each year as vendors add or drop a particular variety.

Take care.

And if you do opt to build yourself a spreadsheet, you may want to hold off until the vendors put out their 2016 catalogs, which should start showing up soon. The information available now is based on what vendors carried for 2015. As all have stated, it might be a completely different list come 2016 and it's up to each vendor to decide which varieties will be added or dropped.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

And we can make it even more interesting - Bill Minkey hasn't sent me his seeds yet, but another handful of new Dwarfs will likely come out in early 2016. I won't know which ones, and which companies, until I get the seeds and information and we ponder which companies to release which ones.

Definitely a moving target!