Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 18, 2008   #1
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Default mini earthboxes

Made these four in the front row, from cat litter pails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 9.jpg (433.1 KB, 229 views)
Barryblushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2008   #2
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Default how I made those mini Earthboxes

Sorry,I forgot to add the processing pictures.Pic one is all you'll need besides the potting soil.Pic two,I use six pieces of PVC tubes about four or five inches long for the tubes.One long piece is the feeding tube.Pic 3, cut 45 degree angle on the feeder tube.Pic 4, these are the wicking tubes with holes drilled throughout them.Pic 5, is the two types of screen I use.Basically rabbit wire and screen material.Pic 6, is how the rabbit wire looks inside container.Measure to the inside of the container for the rabbit wire,and line up where the feeder tube is going and cut out a hole to slide it through.Then place screen over the rabbit wire,cutting slats in the screen where the feeder tube is going.Pic 7 is the wicking tubes filled with wet planting mix.I put these in before the screen and wire.Then line up the feeder tube to where the hole cut out is.Before you put in the wire drill a small hole for overflow as in Pic 8.Once all in place and feeder tube lined up,put in your desired potting mix,wet.The screen should keep the soil from going into your water area.Then fill with water until the water comes out the overflow hole.Youre set to plant now. Ive only used small tomato plants like Coyote and Lime Green Salad.Im also trying a mini Eggplant in another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 1.jpg (511.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg pic 2.jpg (381.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg pic 3.jpg (246.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg pic 4.jpg (225.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg pic 5.jpg (507.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg pic 6.jpg (268.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg pic 7.jpg (224.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg pic 8.jpg (151.5 KB, 87 views)
Old July 24, 2008   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barry,

Nice looking project!

Do you have a Moisture Meter, and if so, what range are you reading?

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2008   #4
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray. No meter.It was just an experiment.No fertilizer either.Just mixed MG potting soil,aged manure,some lime,coffee grounds,some peat.I didnt get to make any full sized ones this year either.Maybe next year Next year might try some Roma's or other plum ones in them.Wondering aloud if I should call them Littertainers?
Old July 24, 2008   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barry, I'm new to this forum. I am interested in the project you have put together. What are the dimensions of the container in the pictures? I do all my tomatoes in containers and want to reduce soil nutrient washout as best I can, so I'm looking for a self watering type like yours.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2008   #6
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Well I used those plastic pails cat litter comes in.Not sure on the size they are.I wouldnt put regular tomatoes in them tho,maybe just smaller fruited ones like Coyote,Lime Green Salad,etc.I would think they are about the size of a bucket maybe five gallons or so.
Old July 25, 2008   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thanks a bunch. What i really like about your design is that you don't have to cut up a second tub. My little garden (see my avatar) is in the middle of a stand of hardwood trees. The White Oak, Poplar, Red Oak and Sour Hickory trees will not allow me to plant directly into the ground so ...... Right now, I'm looking for an "improved" container system.

I believe that I can borrow some of your ideas and make one that will handle a larger plant. Am still in the design stage, but will let you know what I end up with.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 25, 2008   #8
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Glad I could give you some ideas Ted,and welcome to Tomatoville.Looks like youve got some nice plants in containers there.You could also use 5 or 10 gallon buckets the way I made my boxes.Might even be easiar cutting out the screens as there wont be any corners.Granted you still have to water them now and then but not as much.I have several mints in large pots and im constantly watering them when it gets real hot.Think I will try some mints and herbs next year and see how they go.The price on the litter pails is very cheap,as I find them on trash days and scoop them up.One mistake I regret tho is painting them.Sure it makes them look good, but Ive found the paint chips very easily.Good luck with your project and let us know how they turned out. Barry
Old July 25, 2008   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Again, thanks, Mr. B. I'll bring my results here for you to see and all to critique.
OBTW, there are a couple of manufacturers that make spray paint for Plastic Surfaces. One of those is Lowes, whose Valspar has several colors and Sherwin Williams and Walmart have another. If they don't have your color, there is a spray primer by Valspar you can do and then pick any color of anybody's spray to put the finish coat on.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 26, 2008   #10
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Oh ok thanks Ted.Well I think im just gonna use white ones next year,and move the logo side on the back.Tho I do have two I have primered,but havent painted yet, to see if the paint doesnt chip.Didnt help I used 89 cent paint either
Old July 27, 2008   #11
dice
Tomatovillian™

[painting plastic containers]

Normally for plastic you want an oil-based "bonding primer"
(adhesive primer that basically glues itself to the substrate
and will stick to plastic):

http://www.specifypaint.com/APL/pain...r.asp?ID=69000

Last edited by dice; July 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2008   #12
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Dice, that's true about the oil base. But there have been a few products that have come out in the last few years that come in a spray can and are specifically made to accomplish that molecular bond. One manufacturer put out an entire line of colors that can "Plasti-bond".

There are many good bonding primers on the market. The best one I've found so far is marketed under the Zinsser label and will actually bond to anything, including ceramic tile. Last time I bought some the label was white with brown. It can be found in most paint, hardware, and home improvement stores and the cost is extremely reasonable.

The original post mentioned spray paint, so I limited my original reply to the "spray can" mode. Take care.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 27, 2008   #13
dice
Tomatovillian™

[bonding primer]

The MPI page at the URL above does include Zinsser Cover
Stain. I used it several years ago over top of a coat of
Thompson's Water Seal, which normally nothing sticks to.
The paint over that primer has not peeled yet.
Old July 27, 2008   #14
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Barry, I worked in the paint industry (sales and quality assurance) for half a dozen years and quickly learned that like everything else,.....

"Ya gets what ya pay for".

You did better than I did. When I tried some of that "cost effective" paint like you did, I couldn't get it to stay on sandpaper.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 27, 2008   #15
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, howdy, Dice. Yeah, I did follow your link and saw my fave at the bottom of that list.

Yeah, good stuff. I won't use anything else now. And it's less than $20 a gallon.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch