Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 14, 2017   #46
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi....Exactly From now On I will spray some water on the soil so as it binds together when I transplant it...all this talk about "wet" is making extra work for myself ??? This one is a Lebanon... Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lebanon_2017-11-14_200628.jpg (111.9 KB, 70 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #47
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I guess I do the cold treatment, too, but more so by accident than anything else. That's just what the weather is like in the early spring in an unheated greenhouse.

Here is an old thread about it:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=13171

This particular post stands out to me:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....4&postcount=27

What Daryl (Fusion Power) says about letting the plants dry out until they begin to wilt, I also do that, too, but once again mostly by accident. My greenhouse is hot by day and cold at night. There's a cycle of the media drying out, and I think you are missing that by trying to maintain consistent moisture. My plants get very inconsistent moisture, and do great.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #48
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ok I will check those posts out..In the meantime I thought I better post some photos of my plants in the drums..I have only done 4 and as usual lost the marker pen..
Now I have planted them low down in the drums and i hope this does not give them a problem ..they are buried up to the first set of true leaves and If they keep growing spindly I will put more soil in to hopefully off set it..I might get 10 done by midnight?? Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1 and 2_2017-11-14_202534.jpg (128.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg #3 and 4_2017-11-14_202641.jpg (164.4 KB, 69 views)
Old November 14, 2017   #49
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..Its 11.58pm so I better cook a couple of eggs ..I got 8 transplanted so hope to get 10 done tomorrow and 10 on Thursday ...In between working on my growth chamber ...I am going to go and buy another Tasty Tom plant tomorrow and take it up to the guy so he can show me exactly what he told me today....Now I got an indication that he has studied Bonzai and this is where these ideas of his come from....

I am going to have a full greenhouse again although nothing like last season ..I am not going to plant the Tasty tom Plants I grew from "seed" into drums ...that will make a difference and i intend to double up my Sweet Scarlets IE on the ground and on a shelf above as they are dwarfs...I have 3 or 4 of some like Missouri Love Apple so will keep 2 and transplant the others into Plastic Pots and give them away or even sell them for a small return...Another beauty about the drums is they are easy to move across the concrete as long as the stakes are not tied to the greenhouse and one can create space to work on them and then simply push them back to their original position so one can sneak a few extra drums in by doing this......I do not like filling them up too much with soil because then lifting is impossible,,,,I wonder how many people use these drums and struggle with the weight without realising that they have 5 kg of water in them and a couple of drill holes will get rid of it all....
Well Its been a great day ..I made progress I think in convincing you all my plants were certainly not over watered BUT growing germinated seeds in a jiffy pot on a capillary cloth is a no no ....The jiffy pot draws the water up something terrible and then using a Moss mix never made things better ..I am wondering if this is why I had so many failures when I was using already germinated seeds??...Regards Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; November 14, 2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old November 14, 2017   #50
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I guess I do the cold treatment, too, but more so by accident than anything else. That's just what the weather is like in the early spring in an unheated greenhouse.

Here is an old thread about it:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=13171

This particular post stands out to me:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....4&postcount=27

What Daryl (Fusion Power) says about letting the plants dry out until they begin to wilt, I also do that, too, but once again mostly by accident. My greenhouse is hot by day and cold at night. There's a cycle of the media drying out, and I think you are missing that by trying to maintain consistent moisture. My plants get very inconsistent moisture, and do great.
Hi I certainly Knew about the old thread but i am sure I have never seen Daryl's post and that is exactly the sort of information I need so thank you very much ...Cheers Ron
Old November 14, 2017   #51
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Hi....Exactly From now On I will spray some water on the soil so as it binds together when I transplant it...all this talk about "wet" is making extra work for myself ??? This one is a Lebanon... Cheers Ron
I don't know. The root balls - especially the last one - hold together at the top but not at the bottom. This suggests roots you're seeing are pretty new, and there's little or no root structure in the lower half of the pot.

That suggests that they may have been too wet until recently. Hard to judge.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They aren't going to grow kept cold, wet or not wet.
((Not)) gonna happen.
What I see in the pictuer is an immature plant that isn't even close to having a big root structure due to it's size.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #53
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Whats going on??

((Not)) gonna happen.
What I see in the pictuer is an immature plant that isn't even close to having a big root structure due to it's size.

Worth....I am upset ?? I can never win ..are you saying after all my work that what I was advised to do is not going to work ....For heavens sake I am busy transplanting them out in my greenhouse and its certainly not cold out there ,,,,I know the plants are immature but I do see a reasonably good root system on them ....IMO they could not stay in the pots just getting higher and more spindly...The only thing that i see I have a problem with is... I have no over head fan so I will have to improvise somehow...Just to make things worse my main PC has just had a power failure so I am sending this via my backup PC...until i find out what the problem is with my main PC.. .....I better lie down and recover my composure>> Cheers Ron
PS..I have found the problem with my PC ....

Last edited by murihikukid; November 14, 2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old November 14, 2017   #54
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Ron, you seem to solicit and take advice from everyone equally. Here you have come to the home of the Pros from Dover - people who grow in one season more plants than either of us will in our poor lives - and still you counter-balance their advice with random 'experts' from youtube and garden centers.

It's depressing from this side, too.

- Will Rogers

Old November 14, 2017   #55
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

I think thats untrue and unfair ....I am taking the advice that Patti posted cause I believe she is right...I do not know where Worth or yourself are coming from...I have had a guts full of insinuations like you have posted ....Cheers Ron
Old November 14, 2017   #56
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

OK then we stop.

- Will Rogers

Old November 14, 2017   #57
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
((Not)) gonna happen.
They will grow, but very slowly. What Ron wanted was thick stems and stocky plants. The cold treatment will provide that. The treatment is only for 10-14 days. It will set the plants growth back some, but will produce nice stocky plants that will flower earlier. The plants will catch up nicely when they are planted out in the warmth of the sun. Unfortunately he has started his seed very late in his growing season and can not take advantage of the natural cool temperatures of spring as you do in your garage. So, I guess that if he wants the cold treatment this is what he has to do.

Yes, he does have an awful lot going on. Do I agree with it all, no, and I have told him so. But hey, this is his project and they are his plants. I just help him and work within his parameters.
Old November 15, 2017   #58
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
((Not)) gonna happen.

Worth....I am upset ?? I can never win ..are you saying after all my work that what I was advised to do is not going to work ....For heavens sake I am busy transplanting them out in my greenhouse and its certainly not cold out there ,,,,I know the plants are immature but I do see a reasonably good root system on them ....IMO they could not stay in the pots just getting higher and more spindly...The only thing that i see I have a problem with is... I have no over head fan so I will have to improvise somehow...Just to make things worse my main PC has just had a power failure so I am sending this via my backup PC...until i find out what the problem is with my main PC.. .....I better lie down and recover my composure>> Cheers Ron
PS..I have found the problem with my PC ....
I didn't say anything bad about the plant it looks normal.
All I was saying is for a plant that size the root amount looks fine.
If I were to transplant I wait till the plant is almost root bound in the container it is in before I do it.
This way the soil doesn't fall away from the roots.
I dont see anything wrong with your soil or anything.
With containers that size I have had much bigger plant grow in them with no problems.
The size of the container has nothing to do with spindly.
The amount of light has everything to do with it.
The age of the florescent lights you are using has a lot to do with it.
You might not be able to see they are degrading but the plants can.

Please dont assume I am insulting you or saying you are doing everything wrong.
All I am doing is giving information from my own observations.
Not some rehashed stuff from a book or the web.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017   #59
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

hi...Super Phosphate and Plants..Ron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suoer Phosphate_2017-11-17_135948.jpg (61.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Super Phosphate_2017-11-17_140049.jpg (32.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Plants_2017-11-17_140222.jpg (174.1 KB, 37 views)
Old November 16, 2017   #60
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Those little Charlie Brown plants are sure perking up and looking much better.