Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 21, 2009   #1
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

Default Beginning corn plants again

Planting second round here in S. Diego. Can't seem to find definitive requirements for fertilizing at the beginning. We amended the soil but no fertilizer yet this year. I just bought high nitrogen fert. for feeding twice during the growing phase coming up, but don't understand if I should also include that at the beginning when planting the seed in the ground. Also, at my nursery, they didn't have pure nitrogen, so I bought "Citrus & Avocado" food bec. it had something like 14-4-8, about the highest nitrog. avail. there at the store. Is that okay to use? Or, is the 4-8 part BAD for growing the corn? Thanks so much.

arline

Last edited by arlinek; July 21, 2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Corrrecting fert. #'s
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009   #2
WH_Conley
Tomatovillian™

Disclaimer. Don't mean to sound like an expert.

Here in Northeastern Kentucky, I don't think you can get fertilize that is too high in nitrogen. Corn is planted from seed with 19-19-19. After it gets to growing we side dress with urea. This year I just went with triple 19 as the secondary fertilize. Best corn I have ever had.

Got to shoot the blasted coons.
WH_Conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

WH,

I have a neighbor that feeds a racoon ice cream. It then comes over to my garden for dessert, the sweet corn.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009   #4
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

And the answer is ...???? It IS okay to use the 14-4-9 or it's less than ideal? Should I seek out a higher nitrogen fert?

arline
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote