Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2014   #1
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Default Same Worry-Wart, Year after Year.....

.....So here in zone 7A, most heirloom plants are out, day 4 of the hardening
process. We should be relaxed and happy that all look strong this year. Will have plenty of prep time before planting 5/15-5/20.

But regardless of # of years we do this......now high concern about plants getting too much sun too quickly. So far, only 20 minutes on day 3 and 30 minutes day 4. Then back under umbrellas in partial shade area.

Have erred slightly a few years in past, with 1/2 of plants having somewhat white sunburned leaves. They corrected this after planting and produced......but in my imagination they would have produced MORE if all leafs were perfectly green when planting took place.

Probably not true.......but what the heck.......I might miss my tomato-plant-caused ulcers if there was too much confidence here.

Last edited by Noreaster; May 4, 2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #2
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you're doing great. I'll join your tomato-ulcer club!

Mine haven't even seen sunshine and they're miserable in the shade. Will start the sun exposure in 2 days, hopefully giving them full exposure by plant out in a week or so.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
Sounds like you're doing great. I'll join your tomato-ulcer club!

Mine haven't even seen sunshine and they're miserable in the shade. Will start the sun exposure in 2 days, hopefully giving them full exposure by plant out in a week or so.
I don't know where your zone 5 is in CO, but my zone 5 was in the Denver area where I was for close to 10 years, and I never planted out any tomatoes until about the last week in May. and more usually the first week in June.

And that's b'c the weather can be so different from day to day from week to week. I remember going to work in a sleeveless blouse one time, yes, I was wearing a skirt as well, and walking back home in a snowstorm.

And don't talk to me about all the hail storms and wind that one can see there in late Spring.

Carolyn
Old May 4, 2014   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

My high school was closed the week before I graduated at the end of May in Niwot from a terrible ice storm!
I also remember a deep snow in mid-Sept one year when I lived in F. Collins!
Twice, I've seen snow on 4th of July. Once in Laramie and once in Estes Park. All the lower areas were frigid cold and rainy.
Freezing rain in mid-June one year with 30 degree lows in Laramie when I was driving through to move up to WA.
CO and WY have some challenging weather to garden.

Last edited by Tracydr; May 4, 2014 at 04:14 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #5
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I don't know where your zone 5 is in CO, but my zone 5 was in the Denver area where I was for close to 10 years, and I never planted out any tomatoes until about the last week in May. and more usually the first week in June.

And that's b'c the weather can be so different from day to day from week to week. I remember going to work in a sleeveless blouse one time, yes, I was wearing a skirt as well, and walking back home in a snowstorm.

And don't talk to me about all the hail storms and wind that one can see there in late Spring.

Carolyn
Well, we're west of Denver and I know, all too well, about the inconsistent weather in May and June. This is where WOWs come in or, as this year, I have other protection for the hail, winds, etc. since I have extra plants. The hail usually arrives in mid-June, but we've had it as late as July.

I've picked green tomatoes in the snow for them to ripen to a wonderful red in September. Last year we got horrible rains while other got the floods, but the greenies cracked and were worthless.

This year we're hoping for warmer days and nights, but not too hot. In any event, I have sunscreen protection fabric for almost every debacle Mother Nature sends. We learn all too well from our many mistakes. I'm hoping to plant tomatoes near May 15, depending on the nighttime temps. Peppers will go in near Memorial Day.

And yes, I always carry blankets, a jacket, granola bars, etc. in my truck everywhere I go. Like you said, the weather is very inconsistent!
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #6
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Noreaster, where are you that you are in zone 7 with too much sun? Wish I could say that! I'm with Carolyn, not happening before end of May. The weather here can change in a flash. Guru, good luck! I think we are all going to have an interesting growing year this year, with such a long winter. We have had such a lack of sun here it's ridiculous. I'm beginning to wonder if all this work will pan out in the end!!!!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #7
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Noreaster, where are you that you are in zone 7 with too much sun? Wish I could say that! I'm with Carolyn, not happening before end of May. The weather here can change in a flash. Guru, good luck! I think we are all going to have an interesting growing year this year, with such a long winter. We have had such a lack of sun here it's ridiculous. I'm beginning to wonder if all this work will pan out in the end!!!!
Southern New Jersey, along the shore.

Believe it or not, actually DID let about 5-6 plants get burned a little today.
gosh darnoodley !

Anyhow, the good news IMHO found out today, is that weather from here (and likely further north to Canada) will SOON be getting very warm and sunny for
other gardeners. This is based on (YAY) the fact that we saw both Male and Female Hummingbirds on the feeders today ! The male has been here 4 days,
and we THINK his wife has now arrived .

By far the earliest we've had them come back in years. Let the games begin !!!!!
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #8
fran_always
Tomatovillian™

Default Shepherd Ogden

Shepherd Ogden used to say: If you do not lose some plants to a late frost or an early frost, you are starting too late and finishing too early. (I'm paraphrasing, but it's the idea).

Climates are changing. I've been planting about 2 weeks earlier for a few years here in zone 6b (PA), and it's been working well.
fran_always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #9
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Well climate is changing in Houston as well. I have planted out between Feb 14 and the first weekend in March for 35 years and until the last 2 years have lost maybe 5 plants due to freezes. Last year a late frost cost me 5 (out of 20) and this year I lost 20 out of 60 including those I had in the mini greenhouse. I always have cherrys and Kimberley's in April and slicers in early May. This year I won't have cherries & Fourth of July until May 15. But I think this will allow me to have a longer season. Usually I am done by July 4 but I have my fingers crossed that I will still be picking in mid July. It's not Climate Change - it's the weather!!!!

MikeInCypress