Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 28, 2014   #1
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Default Head Leaf - what is it?

If I was asked to remove the head leaf on a tomato plant, which leaf exactly is it? My way of thinking is that it's adjacent to the newly forming truss, but I could be wrong. The idea is to slow the plants growth by removing this leaf, which does work.

Last edited by mcsee; April 28, 2014 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Add extra text.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014   #2
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

I feel like this would be equivalent to pinching the lead growth. but leaving the top most sucker to develop instead. At least that's how I envision it.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I have not ever heard the term "head leaf" used in regards to tomato growing. But it does sound like they mean the primary growth stem, which is more than just a leaf. If you lop this off, you may slow upward growth, but the plant will then divert it's energy to developing more side suckers, which you then have to decide how to deal with.

I have not heard of removing leaves adjacent to a truss. I would think that you would want those leaves to provide energy to the developing tomatoes. But maybe we are not talking about the same thing and mixing our terms.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #4
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

The leaf adjacent to the newly forming truss has been removed, so now to see if it slows the growth, like it is mooted to do. I'll follow up if it works.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote