Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 19, 2008   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Garlic

I enjoy using Green Garlic in cooking. I just processed these clumps by chopping and steaming to go into the freezer. Anyone else grow for the green? It has same taste as regular garlic cloves but is milder with a more subtle/mellow taste. It can be used in any recipe calling for garlic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 Green Garlic.jpg (131.3 KB, 50 views)
Old May 20, 2008   #2
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

What I call green garlic is just the young garlic that I pull before it matures. When I plant garlic cloves in the fall, sometimes there are these clumps of cloves that are just too small to be separated, so I just plant those all in one spot. They grow up in the spring as a big bunch of "green garlic". I harvest these for my CSA and farmers' market customers. They go especially well with stir-fried asparagus and broccoli raab. YUMMY!
Old May 23, 2008   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Next time you do a pot of dry beans toss in a 1/4 to 1/2 cup, does a major yummy effect.

Any garlic lovers out there not growing green garlic is committing a major crime against their taste buds. 2 or 3 years ago I sent Heather a box of hardneck garlic bulbils/cloves and she mailed a portion out to a number of other garlic lovers. I wonder if anyone used them to start their own patch of green garlic?
Old May 23, 2008   #4
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Earl is that like garlic chives? I just give mine a haircut every so often leaving the roots in the ground to continue growing, pull out the dried peices, and snip them into a freezer baggie and freeze without steaming at all. I do the same with regular chives!

Kelley
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

No, Kelley. Not like garlic chives. More like green onions except with garlic flavor. This fall take a whole head of of soft neck garlic from the grocery store [or more] and plant it, cloves pointing up, about three inches deep. You'll get clumps of green garlic as in the picture above. Number of scallions equaling number of cloves in the head of garlic.

What I harvest is from the hardneck type.
Old May 25, 2008   #6
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Earl! This is a new one for me! I take it you pick it early like scallions instead of letting grow to bulbs of garlic? Lovely idea!
Old May 26, 2008   #7
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Never done this Earl. And I am a garlic fanatic. I sometimes use garlic scapes, but never done what you suggest here. It's news to me. Will have to try. I wonder if it will work if I plant now? I may have an old garlic head trying to sprout. If I do, will put it in the ground and let you know. If not will try it in the fall.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008   #8
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I just steamed about a gallon of chopped green garlic. Will put it up tomorrow for summer and winter use. Check the picture up above that I posted. If you leave it in one spot year after year if keeps multiplying and the scallions will be small. If you dig the rounds/cloves after the plants die back and replant spacing them more apart they'll be bigger in the spring. All it is is hardneck garlic. If I planted just one clove it would make a head of garlic. Which I do also. You can even transplant it to grow heads if it's done early. I was too busy to do it this year to grow heads.
Old May 27, 2008   #9
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Earl,
Am wondering why steam? Chives, and garlic chives do not require this, so why not try some b just snipping and freezing?
Kelley
Old May 28, 2008   #10
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Kelley, I steam it to stop the enzyme action. If you freeze it without steaming let me know how it turns out.
Old May 28, 2008   #11
ctx00978
Tomatovillian™

This sounds great, Earl. I'm going to give it a try this year. I use garlic in almost everything I cook....just love it. Do you plant any other kinds, and if so, what are your favorites?

Stacie
ctx00978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2008   #12
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

That is a great idea! I also am a garlic fanatic and have both some grocery store types and some that I ordered to try this year. I may give your idea a try, it would be nice to store some that way, too.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote