Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 26, 2012   #11
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Here in Homestead Fl.I start seeds late Aug.Then 1 1/2 month later another stagger start and finish up sometimes in late April(two crops).I read the other day some growers in the Tampa and Homosassa area just picking thier fruit now.I could imagine N Florida going into late May June.I do have Everglade Cherrys that grow wild around here but too small .They do grow all year.Last year we had some cold stretches(late 2010-2011)Even here we had some 30-35 nights.So if you want to designate the Fl growing season it would be end of one year and beginning of another.Where up north it would be 2010, 2011,2012,season.Confusing for some and drives me crazy when all the seed catalogs come out for us out of season.Now I get jealous reading about all the maters up north from the posts but then we get our revenge when the notherners are all freezing and our crops are coming in.Could probly grow produce now but the temps are running past 85 and humidity for me is around 70-80 on average plus two days ago it rained 8 inches in one day.so by design I will not go past March -April.So now we get to enjoy mangos,lychees,papayas bananas,strawberrys,avacados and some tropicals I cannot even spell or pronounce.