Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old March 1, 2014   #16
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

This is the onion that i grew up with, had no idea it was called a potato onion. We called them "bunching onions" and overwintered ours under a foot or more of mulch and a sheet of roofing tin.
It's good to know where to pick up some seeds. I like them as green onions and also roasted and eaten with garlic butter.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #17
sdzejachok
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing potato onions for several years now. They pretty much require no care. When the tops are dry, I pull up the bunch of bulbs and plant the small ones back again immediately, preferably someplace else. The rest go in a paper bag in a cool dry dark place until needed. The main problem is that the tops sometimes disappear altogether and I don't find the onions until they start growing again. I'm in zone 6 and mulch them lightly with leaves.
sdzejachok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #18
katkoot
Tomatovillian™

I planted mine a few years ago. I remember putting them in around Thanksgiving and never digging them up except to thin and harvest. I didn't fertilize or do anything special beyond the initial peat I had added to the bed to work on pH (it was a potato/onion/garlic bed). I ended up moving and my parents inherited them, so I don't have much harvest info. I ended up mostly just thinning mine in the fall and using them like green onions.
katkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #19
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

lol @ Carlos Danger.

PNW_D, I really appreciate that link to the Kelly guy's blog. Fascinating stuff! I'm tempted to try the seeds but I really already have too much on my hands as this is only my 2nd season gardening.

Do you guys think potato onions can be done in containers?
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #20
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Do you guys think potato onions can be done in containers?
I've grown onions, garlic, etc. in raised beds. If you can keep them fed, watered and not too hot they should be fine.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #21
debles
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Kelly Winterton (author of the booklet referenced above) has done some very interesting things with potato onions. I've been following his reports for years, but with his supply so limited, I haven't wanted to get any of his potato onions until and unless I felt sure I had time to, er, hatch nests of them properly.

The potato onions he's been producing really should be given maximum opportunity to multiply, I think -- really *very* interesting results, he's had.

This is his website

https://sites.google.com/site/kellys.../potato-onions
I was fortunate to obtain some onions from him last fall. The dang rabbits chewed all the top growth off my onions, shallots and garlic this winter, but most of them are determined to grow.
I've had walking onions for years and keep thinning them down to just a few plants. We use the green tops in salads all summer. Last year, I picked up some bunching onion bulbs from a seller on ebay and now have a nice little bed of those growing.
debles is offline   Reply With Quote