Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 17, 2007   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default garlic problem can anyone explain this?

my german white, some bulbs (8 of about 30) felt damp at the neck after drying for 3 weeks when cutting off the stalk and preparing for storage so i put these 6-8 bulbs aside for immediate use.
2 bulbs had soft punky cloves with a white mold or fungus where they attach to the stalk at the base to the top of the bulb. these i threw away without trying to use.

3 or 4 bulbs other bulbs have had cloves when peeled that are dark, they look wet, like they are water logged but not soft or wet. they taste strong and not all that good but no mold or fungus.

why?

are they edible or should i just throw these away?

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2007   #2
redbrick
Tomatovillian™

Without being able to tell you what the exact fungal disease it is, I can say with some confidence that it most likely is a fungus. The thing to keep in mind is that the mold we see is really only a part of the total fungus, actually the "fruiting body" which produces spores. The rest of the organism is made up of microscopic threadlike structures shot through the clove, digesting it. That's what;s causing the waterlogged looking areas, they're being broken down for food by the fungus.

Did you ever cut mold off of a block of cheese so you could salvage the rest? Notice how it just didn't taste right? That's the fungal threads (or hyphae) still in the remnants of the block. The affected cloves probably won't hurt you, but that's not a sure thing, and since the cloves already don't taste right, I'd recommend getting rid of them.
Old August 17, 2007   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

thanks! i hope this is unique to just these bulbs. i have tossed a lot of garlic but it's just been the german white.

tom
Old August 18, 2007   #4
henry
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tom,

Three weeks of drying should have been more then enough time to dry the garlic. Did you wash the garlic before drying? washing can get water inside the bulb and cause the problems you are having.

Henry
Old August 19, 2007   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

no i did not wash it i know that is not correct to do.

i talked to some farmers at the farmers market and the concensus was that i watered too much. but then why just those few bulbs in those several rows of just that 1 variety? it may be that i overlapped at that point. they tell me they do not water their garlic that we get enough rain. this is in nw ct.

tom