Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 16, 2010   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default End of the season clean up, question

Its that time of the year for me here in Nor Cal where I'm pulling my inground plants out. I was wondering what you guys n gals do with that heavy layer or straw mulch? Do you leave it and till/turn it into the soil or em I better of just raking it up and tossing it?

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I till it in for next year the plants go into a pile I haul off.

As for next year I will only have maybe 20 plants and focus on my back yard.
I want to repossess the back from the weeds and put in an orchard.
the old garden site will be a road to a building and a lawn.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2010   #3
pete
Tomatovillian™

Till it and plant winter rye for a nice cover crop!!!
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2010   #4
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Tossing mulch? At the end of the season?

Well, if you must, can you kindly ship it to WV, please?

Seriously, it's already half decomposed, loaded with microbes and is on its way to being compost, as is...so go with the consensus...put it where it will do the most good...six inches under; till it in.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2010   #5
FilthyRich
Tomatovillian™

Don't till it in. Just leave it on top. It will break down eventually and protect the soil in the meantime.
FilthyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2010   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I agree with till it in ... leave it on top and that is a perfect hiding place for all kind of pests; insects, diseases and rodents. Incorporated in the soil, the "good bugs" will break down the organics.
Old November 18, 2010   #7
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Be sure to give your plants a once over for any diseases before tilling. I found nematode damage :*( Anyway I pulled it (not like that was going to do anything at this point) and now I know I have one more thing to manage

sBox
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2010   #8
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

My neighbor put a ton. 5 yards of rich dirt on the ground with 5 more of black yard compost. He did not touch the ground under this, very hard old ground, then tilled last year, i said why. you cant reach the bottom of this new dirt, what are you tilling? so the garden was ok he used my plants i grew for him, I saved him with straw in July to cover before weeds took over. So now he was to till it again, I said no, any organics , worms are breaking down the ground under this new dirt, leave then alone for the winter. My new garden i cut the top grass off before winter, 15 months ago, worms everywhere very rich soil, soft also. Jut lime, compost, bone meal in the holes organic fish fertilizer only, perfect garden, even my herb pots grew through the bottoms of pots into this beautiful dirt. So same for me this year composts /lime/coffee grinds, some new dirt all on top covered with light straw with no seeds in it. covered with black plastic just before ground freezes. no tilling till spring, then just turn it very easy, with final lobster compost from Coast of Maine, I did read that fish/seaweed emulsions stay in the soil for a few years, Miracle grow evaporates fast.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2010   #9
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

I mostly leave mulch in place, moving it only in the spring to make a space to plant. I expect to continue the same practice now that I have moved from central NH, to SE OH.

If you feel the need to have exposed soil, or plan to cover crop, then simply compost the mulch.