Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 4, 2016   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Big cheef

I read about Big Cheef at Tatiana's and there is a thread here that discusses proper leaf type but I'm curious if people who have/do grow it would share their thoughts/experiences. Do you still grow it? If not any reason other than just wanting to try more varieties. Thanks a lot!
Justin
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2016   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Big Cheef was one that looked and sounded awesome and I really wanted to like it so I grew it a couple of times, but it didn't measure up to the others in taste, earliness, production, etc. compared to others of its type that were grown in the same year so I dropped it. In my garden, I haven't noticed anything special about disease resistance in potato leaved varieties- they just look bare a lot sooner after I have to start removing diseased leaves.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Grew it in 2014 and thought it was fantastic. Mid season at 80 days, good production of 1 lb. tomatoes all summer. Flavor was very good to excellent. I had no disease issues with it. It will be returning at some future date - have lots of others to trial.

Considering Kath's report it just goes to show you that everyone's experience with a certain variety can be completely different and a good reason not to rely on reports from others when deciding whether to grow something.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

I imagine Big Cheef experiences will vary with seed sources.

The Big Cheef tomatoes pictured at Tatiana's Tomatobase, attributed to me, were the finest tasting tomatoes I ever ate. Subsequent segregations varied in sweetness/tartness balance as well as size and intensity of flesh color. I saved seeds from only the best examples up to F5.

I think probably Timothy (of Carolina) has the best examples of Big Cheef at this time, as he has carefully selected up to and past F10.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

There is a picture of half of one in my current photo thread of my grow list. It was just wonderful. My seeds were from Karen at MichiganHeirlooms. She also gave me Big Cheef Stripes, aka Carneal Tiger.( that's what she put on the envelope)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I imagine Big Cheef experiences will vary with seed sources.

The Big Cheef tomatoes pictured at Tatiana's Tomatobase, attributed to me, were the finest tasting tomatoes I ever ate. Subsequent segregations varied in sweetness/tartness balance as well as size and intensity of flesh color. I saved seeds from only the best examples up to F5.

I think probably Timothy (of Carolina) has the best examples of Big Cheef at this time, as he has carefully selected up to and past F10.
My experience varied in that Big Cheef turned out to be a tasteless... pink.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My experience varied in that Big Cheef turned out to be a tasteless... pink.
Who was your seed source?

Ami
Old January 6, 2016   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Tormato. If it was pink, it wasn't Big Cheef.
Old January 6, 2016   #9
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I've been wondering where this one fits in.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/B...nk_Potato_Leaf

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I've been wondering where this one fits in.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/B...nk_Potato_Leaf

Steve
Steve, good link. See the See also,which has a link to Big Cheef; what you showed is a different tomato and name than Big Cheef, which is a dark, its purple.
Wow, I can understand where the confusion is with this.
Old January 6, 2016   #11
travis
Tomatovillian™

Big Cheer, Pink came about, best I can remember, when Ami said he found a "red" tomato from seeds I sent him for Big Cheer (purple). Correct me if I'm wrong, Ami.

Then when I grew out seeds Aim returned, I got an extra large, more flattened PINK beefsteak tomato, potato leaf foliage, as with the original purple (maroon) Big Cheef.

This is how I remember it, but that was nearly 6 years ago. So, if my memory is faulty, Ami can correct me.

My name is Bill Jeffers, and Ami is Ted Corbett, for your reference in regard to Tatiana's info.

I hope my info is correct, and that it clears up any "confusion" as to Big Cheef (maroon) vs. Big Cheef, Pink. Personally, I don't find the naming process to be any different than dozens of other named varieties that came about in a similar progression.

And as to "tasteless," the Big Cheef, Pink that I grew, while it was not as boldly flavored as its maroon sister line, was far from "tasteless." As with many pink tomato lines that segregate from purple tomato outcrosses, it did not have the same degree of sweetness laced with the earthier or "smokey" undertones attributed to maroon tomatoes. And the Pink line seemed significantly more aggressive in terms of foliage growth. I have not grown it for about 4 or 5 years, but maybe I should revisit it this summer.

I think a lot of the experiences shared here and other threads regarding "bland" or "tasteless" tomatoes from the same varieties that other folks describe as superior are more a function of climate, weather, irrigation, and soil conditions than "personal taste." Fact is, watered down tomatoes yield watered down flavor.

Last edited by travis; January 6, 2016 at 11:36 AM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #12
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that clarification, travis.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post

Yes...I know. I found that out two years after trialing the imposter. When I found out Big Cheef was a black, I had no reason to trial it again.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #14
sicily
Tomatovillian™

Big Cheef is by far the best tomato I've ever tasted. I've grown it every year since I acquired it from Bill Jeffers around 5 yrs. ago. It's only drawback is that it's thin skinned and doesn't have the shelf life most folks want. This isn't an issue with me, I think the thin skin adds to its deliciousness. It's my all time favorite and I've grown many varieties over the years.
sicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #15
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

How big does the fruit get on Big Cheef?

Is it mid-season or late?

Not that I have room for even one more, just curious.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote