Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2017   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Your favorite Project Dwarf?

What has done the best for you, and which do you like best overall. There's no contest to me -- Dwarf Pink Passion for taste, earliness, plus decent disease tolerance. It is mild and sweet, and is the earliest harvesting tomato that I've ever grown. (There are earlier tomatoes, but those are indeterminates, so I can't start them as early.) My second favorite is Perth Pride. Great flavor!

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Your favorite Project Dwarf?

I haven't grown a lot of them, but Dwarf Pink Passion did have great production and very good flavor, and as you said it was on the early side.

Tastywine was later and not as productive. I still got a good number of tomatoes off it, I just had to wait longer for them. They were always well worth the wait!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried DPP but I LOVED Dwarf Wherokowhai when I grew it, and thought the taste rivaled that of Little Lucky (an indeterminate) which I adore! I am growing both varieties again this year, along with Dwarfs: Tastywine, Tasmanian Chocolate and Wild Fred which are all new to me.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Sue, Tasmanian Chocolate, Jade Beauty
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Tasmanian Chocolate, Sweet Sue, Rosella Purple and Wild Fred.

Last edited by PaulF; June 20, 2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: forgot one
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #6
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Did not know about dwarf tomatoes until joining this forum. This year I am growing one - Arctic Rose - as an experiment. I don't know what to think... VERY small plant but it does seem to have a few small tomatoes. If it does well I will try other varieties. My sister in Oregon is interested in my experiment since she has very little space to grow toms so dwarfs will be good for her.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

As with all tomatoes, each one of us will have those we like best based on how they do in our particular area, and our particular taste buds and preferences.

I am a huge fan of the Sneezy family releases - they are all excellent to superb, to me. (Summertime Green, Dwarf Emerald Giant, Dwarf Sweet Sue, Dwarf Kelly Green, Dwarf Jade Beauty, Dwarf Beryl Beauty, Summer Sweet Gold, Summertime Gold, Dwarf Mr Snow, Summer Sunrise - did that without peeking at the list! The newest release, Barossa Fest, is growing and setting fruit as I type - I expect it to be just fine).

Right with them for me is Rosella Purple, Dwarf Wild Fred, Wherokowhai, most of the Tipsy line (Blazing Beauty, Golden Gypsy, Orange Cream, Sweet Scarlet - definitely tomatoes for those that don't mind them palate-biting tart!). TastyWine may still be a bit variable but can be outstanding (growing that this year as well).

Those to me are the cream of the cream of the crop - I like them all very much, and love most of them!
Old June 20, 2017   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Beauty King is awesome , I will grow it again next season. Loved Tennessee Suited, Wild Fred, Fred's Tie Dye. All 4 are my top tier. I have grown several others that I liked very much, but these are the toppiest!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #9
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

This is a big season for me - finally growing the released versions of Beauty King and Firebird Sweet (among many others - growing about 20 of the releases). Right now Dwarf Caitydid is flourishing as a plant and setting loads of tomatoes.
Old June 20, 2017   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I love Mr. Snow, Tas. Choc. is loaded but yet to taste one. Mr. Snow is late, drops tons of blooms and in general is big for a dwarf (mine is 5ft tall atm) but the taste is superb.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Dwarf Mr Snow was one of the best tasting tomatoes at one of our Tomatopalooza events - out of over 200 varieties. It is another of those that has a nice tart refreshing snap to the intensity - a bit lower in sugar content than the other Sneezies
Old June 21, 2017   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I can believe that. It blew me away last year. So much so I planted 10 of them this year.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #13
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Dwarf Mr Snow had been one of my favs but the last two years I have not had much luck with my seedlings. Snails one year and a watering problem this year. That said Dwarf Beryl Beauty's flavor has knocked my socks off. For me its a 10.

MikeInCyoress
Old June 22, 2017   #14
Icyman
Tomatovillian™

Is there a comprehensive list of released dwarf tomatoes and their general characteristics color/flavor/acidity/productivity? I picked up Craig L's book hoping to read up but it obviously does not account for recent releases. I really like the compact nature of the plants thus far. I truly appreciate the exchange of info on this forum--amazing how little I knew given my years of planting!!
Icyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #15
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Icyman - hello - sure - full list here

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19549

also on my website - http://www.craiglehoullier.com/projectreleases/

Mike Dunton's Victory dwarf page http://www.victoryseeds.com/dwarf-tomato-project.html

You can find more info on each putting the name in search at Tatiana's TOMATObase - http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Main_Page