Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 21, 2010   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving squash seed

I hope this is the right section of the forum for this question.

I've never saved any seed - but I now have a Red Kuri squash - supposed to be a very good variety (we'll see, I havn't eaten it yet). I'd like to save the seed, and maybe be able to offer some on the trade forums.

Can anyone tell me how best to go about it? Or point me at a resource?

Thanks!
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2010   #2
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Well, I found something that said just dry them out.

But darn, rats, phooey - I bet I can't save these. My friend grew this one, and had all sorts of squash around.

Since it's a winter squash, I presume zucchini etc. aren't a problem for crossing. But she had some wierd hard little black thing, and I'm afraid he might be.

My vine looks so horrendous, I doubt I'm going to get any fruit. I guess I'll see, but I really doubt it
Old August 21, 2010   #3
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Since it's a winter squash, I presume zucchini etc. aren't a problem for crossing. But she had some wierd hard little black thing, and I'm afraid he might be.
Nope...not quite the way of it.

There are 3 main squash species, pepo, maixima and moscheta (there is a 4th, mixta, but it isn't all that common). Most of the summer squash are actually eaten immature and they are mostly pepo, same as many pumpkins.

Red kuri is a maxima, Hubbard, Kabocha, Dill's Atlantic Giant are more maximas.

The species won't easily interbreed, but more than one variety of the same species will readily cross. So if you could find some of the other squash nearby, we may be able to figure out if they are worth saving to trade.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2010   #4
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oh wonderful, glad to hear there's hope.

OK, she has zucchini. We think these other things are summer squash - when small, they look just like summer squash to me, but she forgot to pick them and they ended up about a foot long, yellow, with bumps all over them. I sitll think they're summer squash - they remind me of when zucchini grow into baseball bats.

The others - no clue what they are, I've never seen anything like it. Shaped like pattypan perhaps. Maybe 5 inches in diameter - and black. Ugly actually.

I'll have to keep asking her what they're like when she eats them. Also, I'll try to get some photos.

I would really appreciate your help - I was really hoping to save seed, and my vines look horrible, I really doubt I'll get my own fruit.

I could save seed from some tomatoes, but I haven't bagged blossoms or anything. I also don't have anything terribly interesting this year.
Old August 22, 2010   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tam, when there's even one iota of info that says the squash seeds MAY be crossed if it were me I wouldn't bother saving the seed.

If it were some rare squash variety that only TWO folks on the face of the planet were growing, ahem, it might be worth it, but seeds for Red Kuri squash are very very available at many seed sites.

For many years I grew lots and lots of squash varieties in the same season, and being aware of what could cross with what and having zero interest in hand pollinating squash blossoms, which takes some getting used to, buying new seed when the last of my purchased seed was done was IMO the best way to go.
Old August 22, 2010   #6
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Sigh. I imagine you're right.

It's just the only thing I could think of that I could save seed from really, grr. Well, maybe next year.
Old August 22, 2010   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

if you do save seeds, rinse them off good. i use a wire basket for larger seeds. let them drip dry, and dump them on newspaper or paper plates to dry for a few weeks.

i have several volunteer squash growing in my garden this year that came up from compost. a couple summer type squash on the edge of the tomato patch have been a pleasant surprise. when small it looks like a yellow crook neck, only its more light green when small. it becomes yellow as it matures, and it has warty skin. i'm saving seed on the chance since it blossomed first before the other squash got going, i may have something of the same type next year. also growing are some butter cup, and offspring of a red kabocha type squash i purchased last fall. so far they are a yellowish orange color. no idea how they will taste yet.
any saved seeds of squash unless they are bagged or isolated should only be used for experimental back yard grow outs. i wouldn't trade them.
sometimes its just fun to see what you get.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2010   #8
tam91
Tomatovillian™

My friend has misc. squash out of her compost pile too. Well bummer, but I'm glad I learned before I saved the seeds (or traded them!).

Next year, I'm going to try the squash again. It's the only one I have, and my adjacent neighbors don't grow any. I think there may be a pumpkin field down the road.

Is that isolated enough?