Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Default Red Light Spectrum - Beneficial Flowering

OT, for those more saaaavy with light wavelength colors.

On my new LED setup, there is a bloom setting. If I turn off all the lights and only turn on bloom, it seems to be be primarily all red in color.

I have a boatload of annual flowers under these lights - and right now I'm starting to see it's 1st blossom. I still have another month-45 days till these annuals can go out. Anyhow, it would be a interesting test to see how much the red plays in the blooms for the annuals.

For the tomatoes, I probably still want it to focus all it's energy on growth so even leading up to transplant day , I doubt I will have the ~bloom~ lights on them, even though it might help flowering.

Or whaddya say, do a A-B test. For example, leave A alone
Plant some extras and compare ?

Last edited by mobiledynamics; April 11, 2018 at 03:15 PM.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #2
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

MD, Enjoy your lights.. take notes on your experiments.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

We can use all the scientific information we can get. Please go for it!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #4
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I've got 2 different lamps types going on. One has about 2X the cobs than the other. I believe the cobs offer slightly better distribution and light output overall. So it's not a exact science depending on which rig I run them.

It's like watching paint dry with this annual. I'm going to wait for 2-3 more true pair of leaves before I turn the reds on. I've got blooms developing already on them though. For annuals, the more blooms the merrier !

For the 'matoes, I'm thinking maybe 2nd week of April, if I do the extra red spectrum.
But for the 'wiki, even at time of transplant, would't it be too ~early~ to have flowers when all ou want is the plant to focus on acclimating to it's new outdoor home
Old April 12, 2018   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn,t want my tomato plants bloom while still under linght, inside.
Now, after 2 weeks from plant out some of them have flowers and buds. I am tempted to nip them. But then I just let them do their mission. Tough i like them grow a little bigger before flowering/setting fruits.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #6
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I would try to mimic the sun as much as possible. This would be a combination of all the colors. I would not focus on just one.
That being said, I raise all my seedlings under a HPS light which is skewed towards red and they all grow just fine.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #7
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Thx All. There current setting it is on has all the color spectrums AFAIK. The primary difference I've observed sofar, is in just testing what the bloom setting is (it's seems purely mainly all red) and I believe when I looked at the color chart that was provided, with bloom setting on, blues/whites, etc were amped up as well.

Anyhow, just a observation of curiosity I suppose. I think I'm on the same page as Gardeneer on letting them establish outside sans flowers.

I don't want to do a A/B test on my annuals but it would a interesting test non-the least. Just to see if A without bloom setting and B with bloom setting, was there a significant difference in such
Old April 12, 2018   #8
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

Im no expert but i have read that the blue light/red light thing is more important for cannabis growing. It is very sensitive to the number of hours of light it receives per day. As the days get shorter it receives less light and knows its the right time of the season to put out flowers. My guess is as the angle of the sun in the sky gets lower later in the season, the plants naturally get a little more red light and so have developed to flower better in redder light. For indeterminate tomatoes that flower throughout the season as long as temps are within a certain range, my guess is the color of the light wont matter much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote