Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2006   #1
billbird2111
Tomatovillian™

Default Noir De Coseboeuf

Anyone know where I can get seeds for this interesting looking tomato for next year? This is one of the most fascinating tomatoes I have ever seen!

http://www.tomatopalooza.org/tomatop...s/P7300029.JPG
[/url]
Old July 27, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Seeds are available at Sandhill Preservation online but please note when they do and don't take orders and how they take orders.

Glenn has a treasure house of varieties and no seed sent out is older than two years old, and with over 400 offerings that's a lot of regrowing for seed stock.

But about this variety.

It isn't seen very often and I think that's b'c it does have a very strong taste akin to Purple Calabash and those two varieties are the only two that I know of that actually do have some purple color to them, other varieties with purple as part of the name being pink, as was the custom dating from the late 1800's/

Visually it's one of the most beautiful fruits I've ever grown with very evenly placed scalloped shoulders.

It isn't a variety whose taste appeals to me but the only way you'll know if you like it is to grow it.
Old July 27, 2006   #3
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
It isn't a variety whose taste appeals to me but the only way you'll know if you like it is to grow it.
Or you can come to Tomatopalooza[tm] and taste it!
It will be available again this year, along with purple calabash.

Actually, from the looks of the ones I have, I hope they
taste better than they look.....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2006   #4
billbird2111
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
Visually it's one of the most beautiful fruits I've ever grown with very evenly placed scalloped shoulders.
Dr. Male,

Thank you for your response. I did actually receive some seed from a Ms. Lewinski in New Jersey I believe. She told me that she had received the seed from you, so I know this will work out just fine.

She, in turn, will receive some Peppermint seed from me, provided I follow the careful instructions you were good enough to include in your book.

By the way, I plan on buying another copy of your book today to send off to my sister, who lives in the State of Washington. I hope she doesn't already have it (it's her birthday present).

I like to grow heirlooms for both taste AND presentation. I can see chefs at some of our higher end restaurants wanting this type of tomato simply because of its presentation qualities.

Bill